DOA IPA Hop On Or Die | Los Muertos Brewing

Added by chinchill on 09-03-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 239
3.65/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear amber orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige colored head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of pine resin hops are present in the nose along with notes of citrus hops and caramel malts.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell, except that the piney flavors are more prominent and contribute a strong amount of bitterness that lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather prickly on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer reminds me a lot like Stone's offerings as it has that "in your face" type of bitterness. It's not an exemplary IPA, but is quite good when compared to other Mexican beers.

Cerveceria Mexicana "DOA IPA"
330 ml / 11.2 oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BEFORE 021015AFL 08:49"
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

First thoughts: So this is a Mexican beer... hecho in Mexico!... do they sell this there or is this just a contract brew that's then exported to the U.S.? Secondly, how did this label get approved? I thought that "India Pale Ale" had to be spelled out nowadays? Maybe I'm just thinking of Pennsylvania, and not Federal label rulings. Also, pretty cool label and packaging overall - I cannot deny that I was drawn in by the artwork, but at least the beer is good so I don't have to feel bad about getting suckered.

Moving forward, this is a very American-style IPA that's bright,hoppy, and bitter. It looks good, it smells good, and it tastes good - no faults there. It's floral, citrusy, leafy, resinous, subtly piney, and somewhat grassy and spicy. The malt is firm, and biscuity/toasty. It's got a solid bitterness that's around 60 IBU's or more, and it's nicely balanced. There are certainly better examples of the style, but this is enjoyable as well.

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, undated, from World Market served in a lager glass.

Pours a deep amber color with a generous bone-colored head that leaves plenty of soapy lacing on the glass. Excellent retention. Appears to have high carbonation.

Aroma: citrusy hops are prominent, but a strong sweet malt base is there too. Above average appeal but, perhaps, below average complexity.

T: Contrary to my suspicions (based in part on their pale ale) this is sufficiently hoppy to be rightfully called an IPA. the finish and aftertaste, but bitterness and hops, with something of a hop hit mid-taste, but with an acceptably restrained, moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

Feel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation; smooth.

Overall: a good IPA from Mexican; who would have guessed?

2.84/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized (almost burnt) malts, fruity citrus and some earthy hops, but is somewhat odd for the style.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a weak hops bitterness for the style comes in. The malt character is hearty but does not bring much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, in a style with so many better alternatives to put out and IPA this poor to me seems like a lackluster effort.

2.97/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a tumbler.

Never thought I'd be excited to finally find a single of this, but the completionist in me sometimes takes too much control for my liking. Regardless, this stuff pours a clear tawny amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet caramel, light menthol, pine resin, and a twinge of green tea. The taste brings in more of the same, the sweetness in the caramel accentuating the resin and menthol characters. Unfortunately, this seemingly synergistic combination just ends up wreaking havoc with my tastebuds, nothing much good coming from the experience. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly syrupy feel. Overall, this IPA just didn't do it for me, especially with that damn menthol character.

2.44/5  rDev -23%

I may be beating this point to death, but I am totally enamored of the label art on the bottles from this brewery! I would love to see these graphics on CANs, but for the meantime, I have to be satiated with bottles.

From the bottle: "Day of the Dead Beer[/]Cerveza De Los Muertos".

It escapes me as to why, if one is already dead, one would wear a helmet and goggles. Still, I dig the dude's sled with its scoop handlebars and flaming tank. I wonder if he and the Blonde who Rides a Pale Horse ever get together to go riding.

Enough flummery! My aggro pour produced three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with decent retention that in turn produced some great sticky lacing on its way down. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 7). Nose had the saturated, sticky smell of an overhopped AIPA. I get that many of us like hops, but not all beers are designed for a heavy hand when it comes to hopping. This smelled like a bag of dank - green, leafy, sticky, slightly minty. Mouthfeel was medium but the bitterness on the tongue was imbalanced. I was reminded of when I used to impress people by letting a dry hop pellet dissolve on my tongue until I realized that just like smoking stogies, I was killing my palate and stopped doing stupid human tricks. Finish was dry and bitter, too bitter even for a self-avowed hophead such as myself. I am not going to hop on because I would probably rather die. Ugh. The recipe for this one needs to be revisited.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

No no no....this cannot be an APA....this is a MPA. Yes Mexican PA. The taste is very malty not much bitterness of things people luv or west coasters. The beer poured clear copper with nice creamy head that is leaving a lace. Unfortunately this beer misses the mark on taste and scent. I won't be making a trip to the beer store for this one anytime soon.

3.86/5  rDev +21.8%

Clear copper color. ΒΌ inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of pale malt, caramel malt, earthy malt, citrus hops, pine, and hint of alcohol. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Fits the style of an American ipa. Tastes of citrus hops, pine, sweet malt, pale malt, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of alcohol. Overall, an average AIPA.

3.43/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: Looking at my packaging, and this beers website, it looks like there a 2 listings on here for the same beer. Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, hops, a touch of citrus. Taste is light, balanced, a mild bitterness, kind of toned down for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall us a decent beer, but if you are looking for a hop bomb, this ain't it.

3.35/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Even the Mexicans are making their own hop puns. We shall see if the beer measures up north of the border. From a 330ml twist-off, on to the beer:

Toasted orange colored, topped with a half-inch of head, leaving a few splashes of lacing around. The aroma is not far off the mark for the high standard set by American IPA's, as the aroma is fruity sweet with tropical notes, mango, and overall pleasant. Taste...a light amount of malt is tasted, with just a little tropical note. An echo of cantaloupe, much more resin, vague hop petals. It tastes like an IPA with a muzzle; you can tell it's an IPA, but some of its flavor has been contained. It feels light per style, and enjoys a somewhat crisp feel.

Hop On or Die is a solid hop pun, but a mediocre IPA. Still, it's a better representation of good Mexican beer than Corona.

2.87/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The aroma is bready malt and spicy earthy hops. Not a huge fan of the taste, the alcohol gets a little warm in the finish and the lingering hop bitterness is a little on the unpleasant side.

3.16/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Los Muertos Brewing's DOA IPA a few days ago for $2.79 at The Bavarian Inn. I needed one more beer for my mix six pack and I thought I would take a chance on this one since their Pale Ale was solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's in the same style as their other beesr and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left it a good amount of patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a impart a grainy, pale malt, slightly stale malt, and some bready aromas. Up next comes the hops which starts off with a nice fruity aroma that leads to an earthy aroma with some soapy hop aromas showing up. This beer had a decent aroma, but I think it would be better without the soapy hops and slightly stale malts.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter and it seems like the grainy and stale malt flavors seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart that same hoppy mixture that I got in the aroma, but this time it's the soapy and earthy hops that seem to stick out the most with a decent citrus rind flavor in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little with a hoppy, grainy and stale malt like aftertaste. This was an Ok tasting beer, I found it to be pretty average as far as IPA's go.

M- A little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry on the finish, on the slightly thicker side of medium bodied with a medium amount of medium carbonation. The Mouthfeel was decent, it would be better if it was a little smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was Ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of the style, the malt base wasn't too interesting and little stale, and while the hop profile wasn't horrible those soapy hops didn't do anything to help this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry, a little filling, and the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a very nice looking IPA. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just seemed like both the malts and the hops fell flat and that really didn't deliver that brightness that I look for in the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I'm a little pissed i paid almost $3 for this bottle, but I expected that since that store always over charges. I wouldn't recommend it as a good IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, I thought their Pale Ale was nice, but this one just didn't deliver and it's now my least favorite beer from them. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

3.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Amber color with a thick head with short retention and leaving some scattered laces.
It doesn't smell much like an IPA. Sweet predominant biscuit and caramel malty notes and some papaya.
Interesting flavor, though. Bold herbal hoppy juicy notes, lots of menthol, lemon, spices and peaches. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Medium to full body with low carbonation. Alcohol of 6.8% is well disguised.
Leafy IPA with a malty body. OG should have been a bit too high for an IPA. Good marketing, though.

3.64/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, very bitter funkiness to it.Thin, sticky lace around the level where it was poured. Not terribly bad, but not a preferred IPA for me.Mexico is coming of age!

DOA IPA has a thin, off-white head, a hazy, orange-gold, bubbly appearance, and some good lacing left behind, which is displayed in sheets more than rings. Aroma is subdued, but one does get a little bit of sweet bread. Taste is strongly piney bitter, but the bitterness is not harsh or unpleasant. Other flavors are grapefruit, white bread, and sugar. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and DOA IPA finishes puckering, dry, tart, bitter, and surprisingly drinkable. Although nothing in this really differentiates it from other West Coast style IPAs it is good and worth checking out.

RJT

2.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Deep amber body; thick, frothy white head; sticky, clinging foam and lacing along the glass. Rich malt grain aroma with minimal (if any) hop fragrance; caramel. Heavy, cloyingly sweet caramel malt flavors; metallic hop bitterness breaks through and lingers at the finish. Medium bodied; heavy on residual sugars.

The beer hits heavy with the malt sweetness, has a fair amount of bitterness, yet lacks any redeeming hop aroma. Also, the malt grain is very one-dimensional with the caramel character. Unbalanced and lacks depth and complexity, but looks awesome. Passable but wouldn't be my first choice for an English IPA or American India Pale Ale styling.

3.26/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hazy golden orange colour, one finger white head, fairly dense and rocky, good lace. Smell is of sweet honey malts, buttered bread and bitter hops, hops are a mix of muddy citrus notes with some pine, more of a generic citrus than any specific fruit though. Taste is bitter and citrusy, grapefruit comes out though a bit muddy, sweet malts mid palate, caramel into the aftertaste, bit of an odd sulfur/yeasty/caramel in the finish as well. Dry mouthfeel, low carbonation, moderate resiny feel, medium body. While not stellar this isn't too bad, to me it comes off as a scandanavian type of IPA, if you told me this was made by Mikkeller I probably wouldn't question it.

2.62/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a semi-cloudy orange-amber. Decent head and ok lacing. aroma is slightly hoppy with a good amount of citrus. Taste is very slick, and unfortunately tastes a little off and metallic, sad!!!!Taste goes away fast and hardly any aftertaste. Did it have to be somewhere fast??. Ok, beer is not what I wanted, oh well !!

1.34/5  rDev -57.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet butterscotch malts and maybe a little grassy hop.

The flavor is sweet butterscotch with bitter metallic hops and maybe a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a butterscotch metallic mess. The worst IPA I've ever had. I did finish it, so it wasn't so vile that I dumped it...I guess it has that going for it.

3.07/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2014-10-08

11.2oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Best Before 082115AFL 07:18. I wonder how far out they "best by" their bottles.

Pours nearly clear golden with a slight bronze tinge, pretty good sized head which slowly relaxes into a creamy, unevenly sloped mound. Lots of carbonation. Smell is mild, a little boring. Not much to speak of here...slightly grassy, slightly hoppy, slightly straw.

Taste is too sweet -- syrupy, strange lemon grass/menthol twist, slow, medium-bitter pine finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky yet effervescent. Overall, not great. Not terrible, either. But also wouldn't want to buy a pack. Glad I bought a single only.

3.9/5  rDev +23%

OMG, a MIPA! This is easily the best MIPA I've had (I'm pretty sure it is the only). I grabbed it at Saveon because it was new to me and it had a cool label. I had no idea of the country of origin. I want to thank the brewers and encourage their countrymen to expand their adventures into craft beers. I've been to parts of Mexico 4 times and drinking is always an important part of the vacation, and Mexican beers have never been a highlight.

This one looks, smells and tastes like it could havebeen made (slightly) north of the border. It's darkish yellow with a little fizz. It has a hoppy, water aroma. The taste is a big bitter bomb with some nice malts shining through. The aftertaste is a bitter lingering.

I think it works well, and considering that very little good beer is made in Mexico, central America or the Carribean, this is a major step in the right direction. Muchas Gracias!

4.07/5  rDev +28.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours medium hazy gold with lasting white head that leaves rings of lace. Sweet caramel bready aroma. Taste is definitely malt forward, caramel sweetness, grain, some light piney hops come in late for just a touch of bitterness. Tastes more like a hoppy amber. Mouthfeel is slippery n soft, medium fullness. Overall was surprised how much I enjoyed it, though wish it had more hop bite.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

No label information. DOA IPA: Hop On or Die is brewed in the style of an American IPA. Available year round in 12 oz. 6 packs and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pours a creamy frothed head of a toasted white complexion over a caramel amber body with a moderate haziness and ample carbonation. Retention is very good and lacing is streaked and patchy. The aroma consists of very fruity, soapy and herbal hop blends over a simple bready malt body with a touch of caramel syrup sweetness. The hops are fairly balanced in the aroma, moderately aromatic with a perceivable low bitterness. The flavor preserves many of the impressions of the aroma, with a moderate fruity, herbal, sudsy and slightly spicy hop flavor up front atop a lightly toasted caramel and pale malt blend with a modest hoppy bitterness on the end that drags out the otherwise clean, brief finish. The texture of this beer is slick, lightly chewy and faintly dry, with a carbonation that generates a soft crispness, the drinker should expect a light and reserved frothy mouthfeel. The body of this beer is shy of medium for the style, medium overall. Balance is very slightly bitter over sweet, although neither come off as profound. The alcohol presence is light and off characters are simple. Hop on Or Die comes off as a lighthearted and sessionable IPA with a nice fruity and sudsy hop profile generating a fairly mellow bitterness compared to the standard of the style. This may very well be one of the finest IPAs, if not one of the only IPAs that you can get out of Mexico anytime soon, but held up against the many fine examples of American IPAs that are widely available from state to state, many are going to find this beer too simple to fill the IPA void in their lives. On a positive note, it has high drinkability and accessibility written all over it, so I'm thinking this may be a great gateway IPA for those crossing over from Mexico's imported macro ales and lagers to sample what the craft beer market has to offer.

Los Muertos Brewing's
DOA IPA: Hop On Or Die
3.25/5.00

2.61/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured a medium dark orange/gold with a creamy off-white head. The head has great retention and leaves some nice lacing. There is almost no aroma but what is there is very citrusy, almost orange zest. The taste is just bad. There is an odd malt flavor and a very bitter off-putting flavor, presumably from the hops. It lingers on the palate for a long time after the taste. There is little reminiscent of an IPA in the mouthfeel, either, thin and lacking in the hops resinous. This is just not a good beer.

A - Drank in the bottle, so color was not visible, but there was a distinct head within the bottle, lacing as well.

S - Pretty sharp dank nose, with a hint of pine and citrus.

T - A harsh bitter bash, with almost none of the standard hop highlights, no fruit. The malt is there, but is weak and not up to the task of balancing this out. There is an unpleasant metallic bite in the close, as well. Largely a one note experience.

M - Sharp with carbonation, heavy drying, but not oily build.

O - Not a particularly good or tasty IPA. Lacks any balance or even finesse, offering few of the rewards a typical IPA delivers to pair with the sharp bitter line. Not horrible, just not good.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast