Achtung | Alpine Beer Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

A German Maibock. A true lager made with authentic German malts and hops. Light amber colored, strong and moderately hoppy. Like a lager, it's crisp and clean with the hops unfettered with a mild yet distinct malty character.
Draft Availability only.

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 07-16-2003

3.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A recent visit to the Alpine Beer Company with fellow BA’s xlperro and EyeChartBrew, on 12th July 2003, gave me the opportunity to try several of the ABC beers that are not yet bottled (though this may alter in the near future). They are currently available to buy here in 5, or 15.5, Gallon Kegs, or just for filling up an ABC Growler which you can purchase for $5 and fill for $7.

ABC Name: Achtung.
ABC Description: A strong German style lager–a Maibock. Amber, Malty, Hoppy.
Listed Strength: 8.8%ABV.

Presentation: 4oz Sampler for 50¢.

Appearance: Amber in nature with a slightly off-white head.

Nose: Light in strength for once, rather subdued, a biscuit-malt mixed with some citric hops would be the best way to sum it up. Average in strength.

Taste: Malts and Hops interplay and change positions with each other like the Cyclists in the Tour de France. Front, Back, Left and Right, they vie for position but neither wins – in the end it’s a dead heat. As in the TdF, after such great competitiveness, it is a real disappointment not to see a winner. Oh well. The tastes are acceptable, if a little jumbled at times.

Mouthfeel: It was hard to nail this one down, the light mouthfeel signals sent to my brain from my mouth, were at odds with the visual 8.8% listed on the Board above the Sampling Bar. Closing my eyes, my vote went with my taste buds. A somewhat ‘puzzling’ average mouthfeel at best.

Drinkability: Another highly quaffable beer from ABC, it is in no way identifiable as an 8.8% beer though, it certainly does not drink as one. I drank this with no problems.

Overall: Achtung! Achtung! OK, I better not do any German Jokes. Very nice and not a bad beer at all but it lacks something that I cannot quite put my finger. Belies, or undersells, its 8.8% ABV, not sure which - maybe both. Needs a bit more work I think.

Achtung from Alpine Beer Company