Exponential Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

Added by xlperro on 12-08-2003

Reviews: 397 | Ratings: 1,289
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle shared at a Damico beer tasting. Pours a golden color with a white foam head. Aroma of grapefruit, caramel, and earthiness. Alcohol comes through a bit. Sweet citrus taste with a nice harsh hop hit. Yet still somehow smooth and creamy. Damn tasty.

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Wow... Nectar of the Gods!

Pours a medium sized slight off-white head, golden pale orange body, sticky lacing...with plenty of carbonation streaming up the glass.

Hands down my favorite IPA aroma ever (but then again I'd say that about any Alpine IPA). Huge sweet peach, fresh ripe mangoes, apricot, dank hops, pineapple, nice dose of pine, little bit of floral notes, and touch of vanilla from the oak chips. Absolute goodness in a glass. Can they make this into a cologne?

Mangoes, orange zest, grapefruit, pine, and some grass/earthiness (upfront) in the flavor. Couldn't even tell this was 11%. The slightest touch of alcohol peaks up towards the finish but disappears quicker than a super hero without his mask. Drinks incredibly smooth. The carbonation carries the beer all the way through...never gets to sticky or thick on the palate. Dry on the end like any good IPA, which makes you want to keep coming back for more.

Alpine absolutely continues to blow my mind on how well you make a beer with hops at the forefront. Hands down they make the best IPA's on the planet. (Of course that is subjective, but I think just about anyone who's tried their IPA's would agree) I wish I lived next door to this place. I would be there more than the brewer.

[99/100]

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Shared with Brez07, again we were in agreement (completely this time) so I'm using his review.

A: Burnt orange hue with a 1 finger cream head. Retains a small layer can be replicated with a swirl of the glass

S: Tons of hops right up front. Citrusy notes, grapefruit, oranges slices, melon. As it warms, the fruit fades a little and some light scallion appears. Some breadiness comes through. Slight tinge of alcohol

T: Juicy citrus hops explode on the palate, but do not overwhelm. Very well balanced beer. Just a touch of piney bitterness. Residual sweet passion fruit like flavor in the finish. Strange pepper presence on the front of the tongue towards the end of the glass

M: Medium bodied. Very smooth due to light carbonation. Very minor amount of residual bitterness

D: Considering the bottle says this is a triple IPA, it drinks fabulously. Super hoppy but yet doesn't kill your palate. Fantastic balance

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this at the pub a few weeks back. Pretty sure it was last years batch as the released the new revision the weekend after.

A - Lovely colour with deep orange and yellow dominating. Head didn't last long but lacing sure did. Head was off white and about one finger thick.

S - Whoa! Tons of dry hops here. Just crazy amounts. Some booze comes thru but not nearly what you'd expect from 11%. Hops aromas are just wonderful, quite sweet actually as is the Alpine signature.

T - What a beer, hops dominate at first with bitter and sweet playing around on your tongue. Malty backbone in the middle with a nice little booze kick at the end.

M - Surprising for a beer with this much booze it is rather soft on the tongue. Not astringent or biting as some IIIPA's

D - Damn you need to be careful with this one. You could easily have 3 or more...and then take a long nap. For my money this is the winner in the IIIPA category. Very unbalanced toward the hops but isn't that what you want? Let the comrades try it and everyone had to order their own...

Note: Supposedly this isn't as good in a bottle. So if you see it on tap hit it!

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into goblet at the brewery on 7/26. Pours a magnificent amber orange with a finger of creamy white head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing down the glass. On the nose it is not overly hoppy, particularly toned down I'd say. There absolutely is the distinct Alpine pine notes however. A bit of caramel comes out. On the palate it is warming with the 11% abv with a minute alcohol bite. Hops become more pronounce in the taste, pine and citrus. Also, like the nose, caramel brings itself forth. Has a good amount of carbonation which helps the beer become more refreshing. On a hot day, best enjoyed inside with A/C as it will make you warm and fuzzy. Very pleased with the Expo, it was fulfilling to have after waiting all the these months.

4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

I first had this out of a 22oz bomber - This was pretty good but I was a little disappointed. Hoppy, but a little malty, perhaps a little old. Wow, just had a fresh growler (thanks, Dakine!) and it’s WAY better. Amazing tropical fruits, hemp, a lot going on. So much better than the bottle... awesome!

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ive had the pleasure of having this beer a few times. Great taste. Strong but feels smooth like a single. Awesome west coast hop taste. I love the hop taste this beer gives my taste buds.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Growler thanks to hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee! Pours clearish golden with a white head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing. Smell is huge perfume-like hop aroma like fresh hop cones, a slight herbaceous smell and some slight vanilla/oak. Huge, sweet hoppy flavor. Fresh hops and pine cones all over the flavor. Vanilla and dry oakiness as well. So easy to drink this one, I could hardly tell it was 11%. Basically it was like squeezing juice right out of the hops into my mouth.

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

I fear being labelled a homer, but honestly, this most recent batch is quite wonderful.

Last batch was a lot more malty... this batch, esp fresh, is just crisp hoppy nirvana.

The hops are much more pronounced, and it compares quite favorably to Pliny the Younger. Alpine scored this batch. Pliny the Younger only wins out slightly for a slightly better mouthfeel and much high drinkability.

I honestly preferred Bad Boy up to this point, but this most recent batch of Expo clearly destroys Bad Boy in my opinion.

4.52/5  rDev +3%

Another fine west coast beer from a trade with olibeer22. Poured from the bomber into a DFH chalice:

A: It pours fairly cloudy and opaque, with a brownish yellow color, and a small head that slips away. The carbonation isn't immediately evident, but there is a dense carbonation visible in the brew. Swirling the glass brings up quite a bit more carbonation, it looks like a whole new pour. The cloudiness isn't super nice, but as the beer warms in the bottle it pours more clearly.

S: Tropical fruits, candied apricot, lemon peel, maple, piney freshness, nice, fairly forward, and pretty different.

T: VERY different, and a bit odd initially. As I got accustomed to it, the beer slowly revealed itself. It's initially quite resinous, not quite solventy, but there is a sweet/spicy/zesty thing going on. The bitterness is amazingly controlled, with no tongue bite at all. There is a bit of mild alkalinity through the mid-palate, but it fades and gives way to a sweet finish. While still a bit chilled, there is a thinness on the edges that makes it not fully realized. LET THIS BEER WARM UP.

As it warms, the beer comes into its own, and gets solid. Some mild vanilla and oak flavors come out, and the finish gets warmer and boozier with some heat in the back of the mouth. It still has some odd, resinous tang, but it's more of a statement now, and one that speaks powerfully. The tropical fruits come out more with the warmth, as well, which I missed while it was cold. Fantastic.

M: Thick, creamy, chewy, and great. Perfect mouthfeel.

D: It took a bit of time for this beer to warm up to reach its peak - let it get warmer than you think it should! Once it warms up it integrates nicely and the flavors reach their peak. The controlled bitterness is unexpected and welcome, as so many huge IPAs let their alkaline flavors run free. Each sip reveals something new. A highly recommended big American IPA that takes some time to show its colors.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

I sampled this at the Pizza Port Strong Ale Festival in December 2003, and thought it was excellent. But the sampling I had at the brewery in Alpine, some 20 miles east of San Diego, seemed to be a different tasting ale altogther. It was creamy and tasted more like a barleywine than a double IPA. It is 11% alcohol. The hops were noticable, but not that overpowering. It had a definite oak taste to it, which made the aftertaste at times feel like the finish to a very smooth whisky. It was the most unusual taste for a double IPA I have ever sampled. I love the Pure Hoppiness, but this one was too hard drink. I'm curious why the keg at the Strong Ale Festival would taste so different from the keg up in Alpine at the brewery. Very strange. But since then I've sampled it twice at the brewery and once at a beer festival. It was great each time.

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

I'll put it this way- the only other beer I have given a 5 rating to is Pure Hoppiness. This is Pure Hoppiness on a grander scale, with more hops, more gravity, more everything! The abundance of hop oil makes it the smoothest (and stickiest!) 10% brew I have ever tasted. The piney scent of Pure Hoppiness is muted a bit by the higher gravity, but damned if I don't care as this I take a sip. My only complaint is that this isn't available year round, although that's an extremely dangerous proposition. As with Pure Hoppiness, if this comes your way, absolutely positively grab as much as you can!

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Mad Elf glass. No freshness or bottled on date.

A-Pours a surprisingly deep amber color with a a nice white head. More than I expected for a brew of this strength. As head recedes, it sticks to the sides, leaving a nice lacing.

S-Lots of floral and citrus characteristics from the pungent hops, but not as over the top as I expected. I have to ding it a little here.

T-Citrus and grassy up front with a nice malt sweetness and breadiness developing in the middle. Hops come in soon after to lead to a delightful fading bitterness. Bitterness is certainly not overwhelming by any means, but you definitely know it is a IIPA. Alcohol is very well masked.

M-Viscous mouthfeel as one would expect for a brew of this strength. Perhaps a little too much carbonation is my only complaint.

D-My God, this has to be the most drinkable 11% beer I've ever had. No problem finishing the bomber by myself. I've had normal strength IPAs that were less drinkable. The alcohol is hidden extremely well; no hint of burn or hotness. I could see it becoming cloying after 1 bomber, but then consuming this fine brew in such quantities would be an utter waste of a fine product.

If I lived in Cali, this would probably be my go to IIPA.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip - generously sent by davemont - thanks David! My first from Alpine, which is quickly gaining legendary status in Portland which is saying something.

Pours a hazy orange-yellow with fine lacing with a light tan/white head. Fairly opaque, similar to some other world class IIPAs.

The nose is hoppy and sweet. Makes my mouth water, you can tell it has some malt behind the hops. Not really any hint of the oak that I detect.

Bready sweet hops are the three dominant flavors. Starts off with a burst of citrus and hops, followed by a bite of alcohol and spicy bread. The oak comes out in the finish which is mostly sweet.

Unlike some IIPA's which are straightforward dry hop bombs, this one has a lot of somewhat extreme flavors that blend nicely and finish smooth. I prefer dry beers in general but the sweet malty backbone compliments the hops well and I like it. It is a heavier beer to me with the sweetness.

Overall you can tell that the positive buzz around Alpine is well-deserved. I am looking forward to trying more of their beer. The ExpoHop is an excellent IIPA and well worth seeking out.

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Downtown Johnny Brown. Hazy orange with a medium white head. Smell is of melon, mango, pine, grapefruit and some sweetness. The flavor is very dry with some orange peel. The mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy. I've never tasted a IIPA like this one, it is very drinkable for at almost 11%.

3.93/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

thought this was going to be amazing from everything I was hearing. looks very clean, just doesn't finish as crisp as I would like it. very bitter. I guess I may be spoiled due to Scream IIPA.

A: Name says it all Deep Gold thats bright with a faint haze. The very soft, off-white foam is more of an accent.

S: A tropical, citrus rush. The most crisp and clear aroma I've face in a long time. Nothing muddles the focus of this aroma.

T: Fruit, fire, and flavor in a semi-sweet and slightly drying melt. It's a big brew, but opens loud but then gets subtle. Just when think it's over the top, other parts put all the pieces together. Not cloying, not over alcohol, not overly malt sweet. I really like the citrus smell and taste, like eating at a Florida citrus orchard breakfest bar, with the notes of sweet grapefruit lingering in the back of the mouth.

O: Maybe my case is worship from far, as it's hard to get this So-SoCal brewer's wares all the way to Chicago. But all the effort is worth it. I've never had an Alpine beer that wasn't the top of it's group (style or peers, or whatever). It's A rating in BA is deserved. And it challenges local hero, Bells Hopslam in the category, which says loads. I've got to visit this brewery.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Kingkong for opening this one.

The last in our taste of DIPA night. This pours so light compared to the other DIPA's we had, but the thick one finger of head seemed to be right on for the style. The smell of this beer is worth the price, pure pine hops with a note of sweetness. The taste is great but a bit one note for me, piney from start to finish. Bitterness on the aftertaste was quite high, but I'm getting the alcohol. Overall a very good piney DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

My second bottle from the Friday release. Beautiful golden color with a rather thin white head that dissipates rather quickly. This beer is very clear and clean looking. The nose s all monstrous hops, I mean HUGE hops with pine resin and bitter citrus notes on the back end. The first impression on the pallette is holy hop monster, hang on baby this is not for the faint of heart. Unbelievably the guys at Alpine have crafted a hop centric beast that is not only incredibly balanced but brilliantly flavorful without any noticeable heat from the 11% abv. There are tons of hops, oak and tropical fruit that just attack your taste buds in an amazingly refreshing way. The mouth is cleaned with great carbonation that leaves your pallette clean and bone dry, no cloying sweetness at all, the finish lasts thirty seconds at least. This is just a freak of a beer. So huge in every way but so drinkable for it's size. I am glad I was able to grab several bottles. This is not an everyday beer but a brew you sit down with when nothing else needs to be attended to. Bravo to the crew at Alpine for crafting another amazing beer.

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

I split this desired DIPA with my wife after a stout tasting night and it was a really nice way to end the evening. The beer pours a light copper color with a very nice 2 fingers of white foamy head. Leaves a good amount of foamy lacying on the glass as I consume it. The smell is very very hoppy. Citrus hops dominate the aroma with effervescent bubbley carbonation that kind of reminds me of champagne a little. I do detect subtle notes of sweet malt in the aroma as well....but it smells like a hop bomb. The flavor is a little more balanced than the nose and the maltiness does come through a little bit more to help balance out some of the intense hoppiness of the beer. Still extremely hoppy. I loved my first sip, didn't care much for the next couple, but as it warmed it actually became a bit easier to tolerate some of the hoppiness. The alcohol is disguised very well by the hops. I love the mouthfeel of this beer. As I mentions it almost has a champagne type quality and I can fee the bubbles in my most even as I hold the drink on my tongue....very cool. I like this IPA. I think I like Pure Hoppiness a bit more as its a balances a little better, but when you ask for a hop bomb you get one with this beer. Thanks javib458 for the great extra....very happy to check this one off my list. Cheers!

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Expo is the easiest drinking double ipa, and ipa for that matter, although very different from when I last remember drinking it. I got straight up honey melon from this bottle and not a ton else, which is odd because I remember mostly citrus notes from the last time I had this beer. Needless to say, this was the smoothest ipa I have ever had, with maybe dinner as an exception. The honey melon flavor works very well but I can't help thinking my bottle was different somehow since I didn't get the grapefruit, orange, or pine notes that I previously remembered and that other reviewers have mentioned about the beer.

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

received in an Alpine gift box from Gregshead

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Bright orange with a little haziness. Finger worth amount of clean white head. Plenty of carbonation

S: I could smell the grapefruit as soon as I opened the bottle. Tons of citrussy goodness, little bit of pine, slight floral quality intrigues me.

T: Plenty of malt flavors to balance the extreme hops. Slightly sweet beginning, nutty characteristic mid palate, finishes with tons of grapefruit, orange, lemon, and plenty of pine.

M: Plenty of body that coats the mouth well. Refreshing hop finish that lingers for awhile.

O: Wow, extremely balanced for a triple IPA. Can hardly detect the 11% abv, making this dangerously delicious. Definitely delivers the “strong, incredibly hoppy, yet truly enjoyable beer” from the label. I wish Alpine was available to me in Ohio.

3.68/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into Ballast Point pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden amber with 3 fingers of white head after a vigorous pour. The way the carbonation slowly bubbles up the glass, overcoming the hop oils is mesmerizing.

S: Mango & pineapple. A nice hop dankness rounds out the scent before getting hit with that tropical fruit sweetness. Quite enticing.

T: Dank hops & bready malts. Very mild hop bitterness rolls through to the back of the tongue leading to a crisp finish. Not as intense as the nose, but nice balance.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice hop tackyness. Slight bitterness mingles with the carbonation to tickle the tongue. Dry finish that leaves a hop oil veil in the mouth.

O: Good but not great. Maybe fresher this is a more intense beer. Good nose, but doesn't follow through to the taste. Still better than alot of overly bitter, unbalanced hop bombs masquerading as palatable ipa's.

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a deep orange color, very clear, in that it is not hazy, but there is at first a fair amount of suspended hop particles that eventually settle at the bottom of my pint glass. After topping off said glass from the 22 oz bomber, a foamy bright white head.

Not quite as strong as other DIPA's out there, but mainly get grapefruit and a slight hint of vanilla and alcohol.

Well balanced between sweet caramel malty flavor, citrus/piney hop flavor, that initial bitterness, and an oaky smooth finish. But upon drinking this one for a bit, and knowing that I'm doing "research" for my upcoming IPA homebrew, I don't think I would use the oak chips I have on it. I'm not thrilled by the flavor of oak in an IPA; I know it is authentic, but I'd say it could show off the hop flavor and aroma more if it had not been oaked. But over all the flavor lacked that overly sweet, caramely flavor that lesser DIPA's have when they're over 9-10%. (DFH 90 Min, I'm looking in your direction...)

Fairly thin and not viscousy, which I like, and not over or under carbonated, so I can't complain.

Drinks much easier than it's 10.5% may have you think. If not for it's limited availability and its high price, I wouldn't mind opening a second bomber, but that is not the case. Frankly I enjoyed their Duet IPA more and have yet to give Nelson or Pure Hoppiness a try. But one thing is for sure, Alpine likes their hops.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

This is my second time drinking this beer. The first time I had it from a growler. This time I am drinking straight from the bottle, haha, just kidding, I poured into a Riedel wine glass.

A: The color is honey orange. Conservatively carbonated with a restrained 1 finger head.

S: I poured this bottle right out of the fridge and the smell suffered at first. Luckily, I wasnt in a hurry and I nursed this bomber for about 2 hours. The smell that came from my glass after the beer had a chance to warm was intensely citrusy. I think that I also picked up on a hint of harshness, maybe a chemical odor, but I really had to close my eyes and "look" for it. Very little malt is discernible once the beer has warmed up. This is one of the more beautifully odiferous beers that I have had. Very typical of Alpine Beer Co.

T: Bitter, orangy, hoppy, malty, alcoholic. Tastes as if you were to eat a bit of orange rind that was drenched in orange oils. Very intense flavor. The hop character is a bit harsh but at the same time so juicy. The hop bitterness lingers nicely. My tongue cannot distinguish the oak chips that were put in with the final hop addition for this beer but I suppose that it might only be noticeable if it was left out.

M: Smooth, creamy carbonation, thinner than expected, not syrupy at all.

D: This is not a session beer by any means but it is decidedly drinkable. The alcohol is present but hidden well. The limiting factors of this beer's drinkability is its alcohol content and slight hop harshness.

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company