Exponential Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

Added by xlperro on 12-08-2003

Ratings: 1,312 |  Reviews: 400

A big thanks to Jonathan who has come through with some ridiculous generosity as of late! He's a saxy dude!

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The beer is light gold in color with good clarity. A white crown of foam adorned the pour very well and receded to a slight ring that remained atop the beer throughout. Lacing grabbed the glass as the liquid level fell from persistent quaffing.

The smell of this beer is something to behold! Honestly, if you are reading this, put "Smell an Exponential Hoppiness" on your 'bucket list'. You won't be disappointed. Dank as all get out!! I love that! If I could give it a 5.5 out of 5, I would.

The taste compliments the smell quite nicely with crazy hop flavor. Sweet tangerine, grapefruit rind, weed, some pine....it's all here. A noticeable smooth sweet malt base supports the hops nicely and dangerously hides the 11% ABV.

The mouthfeel is quite smooth and medium bodied. It is damned surprising that I get virtually NO alcohol heat from this beer. None!

That hidden alcohol contributes to this dangerously easy drinker.

I suppose it had to happen to me at some point. A straight 5-oh, I mean. This beer is quite incredible and needs to be had by anyone who considers themselves a hop head.

Up until recently, I considered myself a balanced beer drinker. I never really craved any particular style of beer all the time. I enjoy them all; some at certain times of the year more than others. But in just the past couple of weeks, since Hopslam was released, I have found myself craving high IBU beers. It was for this reason that I asked my wife to pick up a Triple IPA from Alpine Beer Company, one of my all time favorite breweries, on her most recent trip to Cali (She said the staff there was very helpful to wives desperate to understand their husband's beer order.)

Pour, Color, & Aroma:
Upon pouring the beer, I noticed a glowing yellow from the beer creating a really nice halo effect. Exciting! After examining the beer in the light, as expected, the beer was crystal clear void of any sediment. The head was very crisp white and was slow to recede, leaving a slight lacing along the glass. This aroma is bewitching! I did not want to pull my nose out of my glass. The complexity was one that I was looking forward to trying to identify. Upfront was a radiant orange sweetness, followed by grapefruit zestiness and a luring pine. A subtle sugary sweetness led me into some some of the malts. A buttery biscuit succeeded the sweetness and eventually gave way to slight caramel maltiness. Just after the aroma I was ready to call this brew my favorite Triple IPA.

Taste:
Okay, this is the first beer that I wanted to stop the review and just enjoy what was in my hand. But I knew that wouldn't be fair. Grapefruit was the most dominating characteristic that came through bringing to mind a perfectly ripe piece of the fruit. Not too tangy, not too sweet, but balanced. Some other light tropical fruits made their presence known, most notably a tropical sweetness I attributed to pineapple as well as a smooth heavier sweetness that reminded me of an apricot. A light biscuit and caramel flavors came through for the malts.

Finish & Body:
This beer definitely left residual sweetness as an after taste, very similar to honey. Although I got a hint of a warming sensation as it was going down, I never would have attributed it to the alcohol. Carbonation level is a little on the low side, however I believe it works to the advantage of this style. The mouth feel is on the heavier side due to some of the creamier sweetness.

Final Thoughts:
This is a great beer. I am proud to say that this overtook the top spot on my favorite beer list, edging out Alaskan Double Black IPA by a slight margin. I highly recommend everyone to try this beer. I have not tried an average beer by this brewery, they only make phenomenal beers, and I look forward to trying each and every one! Prost Alpine!

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company