Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Exponential Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

Added by xlperro on 12-08-2003

Reviews: 397 | Ratings: 1,285
4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

Big thanks go out to gford217 for sending this one as part of the BA Bowling winning hauls. 22 oz. bomber poured into my CCB tulip.

A: Clear light copper color. The pour creates a two finger off white, fluffy head, that retains well, and leaves behind massive amounts of thick lace.

A: Pine resin, flowers, orange. I think just about every hop known to man was used in this brew. Good amount of caramely sweetness balances the nose nicely.

T: Sweet hop juice goodness. Citrus, caramel, and pine. Suprisingly well balanced given this is a triple IPA. The small amount of oak gives it an extremely smooth finish, with just a hint of the ABV warming the throat.

M: Pretty heavy for the style. Good amount of carbonation, thick and creamy.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average given the high ABV and huge hop profile. Overall I am pretty impresed by this brew. Really nice balance and just a ton of hops. Very good offering from the guys at Alpine. Skal.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I'd like to extend a big thank you to 0110x011 who hooked me up with a growler of this most sought after nectar!

Appearance: Transparent copper body with a nice 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell: Very Pliny like in the sense that this brew has lots of pineapple and grapefruit notes but not as much pine sap, lots more malt presence, and lots more floral hop smell.

Taste: An initial hop bitterness that opens up to a nice pale malt that blends flawlessly with some great oak notes from the oak chips used in the recipe. The next wave is all citrus hops and once the fruit flavor subsides a strong hop bitterness finishes this one off. Tip of the cap to Alpine for packing this much hop bitterness into a brew and keeping it from tasting astringent. The bitterness is well crafted and really enjoyable. Alpine does add a heavy dose of sugar sweetness to the brew to counterbalance the extreme bitterness and mask the high abv. The sugar sneaks up on you faster than the abv IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch chewy. Decent amount of carbonation (even after the 2 weeks it has been since it was poured) and smooth!

Drinkability: The 10.50% abv and the sugar are the only things holding me back from giving this excellent brew a higher drinkability rating.

Home Run Alpine!

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a very clear golden color. Fluffy white head holds together for quite some time, leaving a nice patch of lace on the sides of the glass.

Grapefruit, soft pine and oak in the nose. Very juicy. Not a whole lot else going on in the nose, pretty light malt character.

Light malt up front, with a hint of oak. Some piney, grassy ans slight grapefruit flavors come out. Hops are certainly the showcase, and they do well without being overwhelming. A very clean DIPA.

Medium body, good amount of carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden, perhaps too well. Very nice.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip - generously sent by davemont - thanks David! My first from Alpine, which is quickly gaining legendary status in Portland which is saying something.

Pours a hazy orange-yellow with fine lacing with a light tan/white head. Fairly opaque, similar to some other world class IIPAs.

The nose is hoppy and sweet. Makes my mouth water, you can tell it has some malt behind the hops. Not really any hint of the oak that I detect.

Bready sweet hops are the three dominant flavors. Starts off with a burst of citrus and hops, followed by a bite of alcohol and spicy bread. The oak comes out in the finish which is mostly sweet.

Unlike some IIPA's which are straightforward dry hop bombs, this one has a lot of somewhat extreme flavors that blend nicely and finish smooth. I prefer dry beers in general but the sweet malty backbone compliments the hops well and I like it. It is a heavier beer to me with the sweetness.

Overall you can tell that the positive buzz around Alpine is well-deserved. I am looking forward to trying more of their beer. The ExpoHop is an excellent IIPA and well worth seeking out.

On tap during San Diego beer week

Look: Pours a translucent orangish color with a good sized head and pretty decent retention and some spotty lace

Smell: The nose is all about the hops which covers quite a full spectrum. There is quite a bit of pine and orange zest upfront and some nice fruity esters on the finish grapefruit comes to mind

Taste: Again the beer is all about the hops. Upfront is quite a bit of citrus upfront backed up by quite a bit of pine and some hop sting. Finishes with a solid malt backbone. The alcohol is very well hidden

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with ample carbonation and dry

Overall: This is a great beer and at 11% it's quite a feat in brewing to make it taste this good with no alcohol present. However there are quite a few DIPA/TIPA's that I prefer

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Kingkong for opening this one.

The last in our taste of DIPA night. This pours so light compared to the other DIPA's we had, but the thick one finger of head seemed to be right on for the style. The smell of this beer is worth the price, pure pine hops with a note of sweetness. The taste is great but a bit one note for me, piney from start to finish. Bitterness on the aftertaste was quite high, but I'm getting the alcohol. Overall a very good piney DIPA.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Sampled on tap at Toronado. I had tried this last year and I wasn't a big fan. So I had to give it a second chance.

A - Golden with a slight haze and a small white head.

S - Bursting with tropical fruit and citrusy hops that hit you with every sip. There was much more than I had noted last time.

T - Tropical fruit, citrus and a light bitterness. The alcohol is apparent but not enough to let you know it's 10.5%. There's much more balance between the hops and alcohol than my previous experience had indicated. Maybe this batch is fresher.

M - Oily and silky with a low carbonation.

D - I'm really glad I gave this one another try. It's still a bit strong for me but it's a flavorful, rich, complex beer that is very well done.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Yet another brew shared by the always generous prototypic.

A - Color is a medium amber with a little orange in there as well. The off white head tops out at around a quarter inch and doesn't stick around for very long. Average amounts of lace stick to the sides of the glass. Carbonation appears to remain active for a while after pouring.

S - Starts out with a little grass and tobacco. They come in a short intense burst then fade very quickly. Next, lots of sweet orange. It's very sweet at this point, actually reminding me of a kind of orange flavored hard candy. Alcohol is present but relatively mild. Some caramel stops by at the end. Also detecting some white bread dough that seems to finish it off. Very nice.

T - Citrus pretty much dominates the flavor. Orange mostly with some bitter grapefruit as well. The bitterness that comes through about midway is sharp and definitely has a mouth puckering effect. There is no missing the malt backbone of this brew. Some caramel and toffee both have a showing. Alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor and keeps it all very warm. Still manageable though.

M - Nice, full body. Carbonation is just active enough to have an tickling effect. Finish is dry with a bitterness that just sets up camp on the palate.

D - Drinkability is pretty good for a brew this big. The bottle lists it as 11%. 11%? That's not what I would have guessed. It's a hop bomb, there is no question in that regards. 22 oz's could be a bit much for one person. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it though. I hear that oak is involved in this beer but there is no oak to be found in my glass. Even though the bitterness can be a somewhat brutal at times...recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

My first visit to Alpine. Pours a slightly clear, amber color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is more malty than I expected. There are a ton of hops with a good amount of citrus and pine, but definitely the biggest malt profile I get in the nose from any of Alpine's hoppy beers. Caramel malt with intense hop aroma. Almost like hop liquid or resin. No booze in the nose. The booze is in the taste, but not nearly as boozy as I was expecting. Again, this is the maltiest of the Alpine hop bombs. Lovely bitter hops mixed with a good amount of sweet malt flavors, this "triple IPA" is definitely worth seeking out. Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy...probably from the hop resin. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this is a great beer when it comes to American...even West Coast DIPAS. However, Double Nelson was WAY better. Along with Duet and Nelson. Expo is a great experience, but not worth the craziness that is out there for bottles.

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Let me start by saying I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for 2 years and awesome to note that this beer I was told is the newest batch but I can't find a bottle on date (Should be within 10 days old)...HUGE thanks to 1st time trader GThornton (Mr. George)

APPEARANCE - A golden orange and suprisingly very clear for a TIPA....Impresssive to say the least for a Hop Monster this Big. The 1 inch head diminishes rather quickly and you can tell this is going to be a sticky / resiney bad ass of a Muthaphucka.

SMELL - Hop Wine...Citris and a tiny tiny bit of Oak - alcohol burn in the nose detectible but very minimally and expected for the 11%. You get pine notes and DANK alot of dank. You can tell by the nose this one is about the Hops and that it's HUGE on the hops in a good / GREAT way and that the beer itself is no mild Muthaphucka at that. Tells you to get ready....

TASTE - Follows ther nose 100%. My suggestion is get this beer as fresh as possible because WOW. It's the slickest / Hop Oiliest beer I've ever had without it being syrupy...Hop resins & Oil left all over the tounge & Palate after sipping...Awesome dry Hop Bite in the finish but not overly bitter. DANK. Citris - Mostly mangos and Orangy Grapefruit with a dry Oaky oily finish focused on Hops.

MOUTHFEEL - I'd say good but not the best. This beer is Hop Wine. You know You're drinking a HUGE Hop Blast of a Beer and you back up a bit after each sip to prepare for the next in a good way of course.

DRINKABILITY - It leaves you wanting more But you know it's catching you with the 11%. I think HopSlam is a AWESOME DIPA but finishes too sweet and I don't need another after one or two... NOT THIS ONE THOUGH. I rate it 3.5 via drinkability because like I said it's moreso Hop Wine and while drinking it you know it's a beast and that 2 bombers might make you say some stoooopid schitt. Alcohol mildly noticeable but you know it's there.

FINAL THOUGHTS - the only reason this beer does not get an A+ from me is because it's just too (I don't want to say TOO Big but it's Big) big...in all the right ways of course but it's a superb Hop Wine...the only better TIPA that immediatly comes to mind is PtY and possibly 2010 Hop Crisis From 21A. All 3 are a Hop-Head's must have.

THANKS GEORGE!!!

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Let me begin this by saying I am doing a taste testing between PtE, Gubna, and this beer. Accordingly, I believe this beer is a bit older than I originally thought so that may skew my ratings.

Appearance - Pours a somewhat cloudy tawny color. I poured relatively vigorously yet achieved only a finger of head that quickly dissipates leaving lackluster lacing. [edit] Did another pour and obtained a MUCH better appearance. Bumping this up to a 4.5 because wow, not sure how, but the second pour was amazing looking. Two fingers of head and sickly sticky lacing.

Smell - Heavy biscuit and malt at the forefront. Again, I feel because this may be two-three months old (found out after I purchased it that it may be that old), the "strong pine and grapefruit" aromas are not as prevalent in my beer. It takes a massive amount of inhaling to even find some of the hoppy/piney/citrusy goodness.

Taste - Malty. Much more of a malty backbone than I would have thought this beer would have. This leads me to think this is somewhat how the beer is, because if the hops fade that fast...well damn. The malty flavors give way to light bitter grapefruit flavors, just a hint of pine, and as it warms up, a bit more of hop bitterness. Still, much more malt flavor than anything else.

Mouthfeel - Creamy (though not as creamy as Gubna) with okay carbonation. I feel this beer is a bit undercarbonated for what it should be.

Drinkability - Relatively so. I do not taste the alcohol but boy can you feel the warmth of it with each sip. Extremely well hidden abv and a decent TIPA, however, when compared to other beers by Alpine (i.e. Nelson and Duet) I would choose those over this, and accordingly a Pliny over this. Again, I feel this review is somewhat biased if indeed this is a bit older than it should be, however, I just purchased a Nelson from the same store (and I believe they got it in the same time) and that was still in fantastic condition. "shrugs" I will have to re-review this when I get a BRAND spanking new one, however, for now...I was not "that" impressed with such a highly ranked TIPA.

A- Lovely, deep ochre.

S- Strong malt aroma, fusel notes, with caramel and pine.

T- Sweet, malty backbone carries alcohol and hops nicely. A bit surprising, I was expecting far more hop forwardness and bitterness.

M- Creamy and thick without being heavy.

D- For the style and ABV, exceptional.

4.14/5  rDev -5.7%

Vertical tasting with PtY, Nickel Bag, and Hop Suey. At O'Brien's 3/19/11.

A: Very light yellow in color, with a strong pearl white head with crazy retention. The beer is lighter in color than I would have expected, but has the most head retention I have ever seen on a TIPA.

S: Pine. I can't smell anything but a pine tree in this beer. Excellent.

T: Taste is abrasive, to say the least. Nothing but hops from start to finish. There may be some malty sweetness somewhere, but from my ruined palate, I would suggest this is just a fizzy hop tea. Leaves a sticky pine resin on your tongue and makes it so everything tastes like plastic for at least a few minutes. That being said, I still liked it.

M: Mouthfeel is really where this beer takes a hit. It has such a strong stinging quality upfront that sort of turns me off. But the bitter finish and low to nil alcohol flavor saves it. Don't get me wrong, even for a hop-head like myself, this beer was not easy to drink.

O: A solid brew that was just a bit hard to drink in large quantities. Forget trying to session this beer unless you would like your food to taste like rubber for the next couple days. If palate wrecking way their intention, they got exactly what they were going for.

4.14/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep amber/ruby body with a thin white head. Great lacing and legs. Wish it had more of a head to really bring out those aromas. Which leads me too...

S - Not what I expected at all. I've been on an IPA binge lately and I've been used to the strong earthy/piney hop aroma. This aroma is all sweet flower / citrus. Smells delicious.

T - Very sweet but balanced by a bitter hop bite. Hints of pine/earthyness comes through when it hits the tongue, but I am getting more of the sweet malt/toffee flavor. I'm still learning how to properly review a beer and the best way I can describe this beer is busy. Lots of strong flavors going on, and they all work together perfectly.

M - Very thick and almost creamy. Bitter finish, as expected.

D - Very different IPA from the other west-coast IPAs that I've been trying lately but still delicious. Outstanding drinkability for the alcohol / sheer flavor in this beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Big thanks to JessetheHut for the bottle.

Exponential Hoppiness pours a caramel brown color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting gives it some orange highlights. A thin white head covers the surface. It doesn't quite rise to a finger in depth. It falls quickly to the surface and holds there for a bit. Lacing was moderate and sticky. Not bad at all.

The nose is good, but doesn't blow me away. It does have a nice citric hop presence. Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange scents are fairly strong throughout. Caramel malts have almost an equally strong presence. They give it a very sweet smell. Kind of sugary in its own right. Alcohol is noted, but doesn't come through all that strong. It's blended pretty well for a 11% beer. It's a nice smelling beer. No question about that. It's not exactly jaw dropping though.

I'm waffling a little on the flavor. It's good. Very good. I really like the hop profile, whatever it is. It's full of citrus grapefruit, orange, and pineapple flavors. There's also a piney flavor that really complements the citrus flavors nicely. I love the hop flavor. There's even a floral aspect to them that I didn't pick up on the nose. I don't like the fact that it's not as bitter as it could be. That aspect seems to have been swallowed up by sweet caramel malt. Don't get me wrong, it has a bitter bite to it. But, I was expecting more. It doesn't ruin it by any means, but it takes away its edge to a degree. It's skewed in the hop direction, but not by a great deal. It has more balance than you might expect. Alcohol is blended pretty well. It is noted, but isn't warming or hot. It finishes sweet, citrusy, and a little dry.

It has a medium body that's nice and smooth. It initially felt too light but has grown more substantial with a few more degrees. It feels creamy and svelte. Very impressive. Drinkability is actually very high. I do like the flavor here quite a bit. It also goes down way too easy for such a big beer. It feels more like a 7-8% beer rather than 11%.

Exponential Hoppiness is good beer. I'm still wrestling with the "Triple IPA" concept and how much I like it. I'm not a big fan of caramel malt heavy DIPAs and that's even more of an issue with Triple IPAs (whatever that is). To be fair, this is good beer and I've enjoyed my share of the bottle. However, I think it pales in comparison to Pure Hoppiness. This one's good and is definitely recommended. But, if you're forced with a choice, go with Pure Hoppiness.

22 oz. bottle.

A: A very thin white head formed ... tiny bubbles. A nice clear crispy copper color .

S: Hops, hops and hops. Just from the smell I can tell it is going to be oily and resinous, faint tropical fruit smell.

T: Mmmm. Fantastic fresh raw hops fill the mouth. slight sweetness in the middle with a bitter ending. The taste lingers - I am sure my tongue was green after drinking this.

M: Slick and Oily, very astringent finish.

D: This is a shit storm waiting to happen...despite the all the hops this beer has a nice drinablity to it. It will hurt you in the end.

Overall, a must try and I totally recommend it.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Obtained this one through a trade. Thanks (you know who you are!)

It's a 3 month old bottle, but that's the latest batch made by the brewery. So... here it goes:

A: Clear orange/amber color, with 1 finger head. good amount of lacing. Lots of bubbles.

S: Mango, orange zest, grapefruit, some bitter, pine, very complex. I can also smell some malt.

T: I swear to god... I can taste some soy? in there towards the middle. Floral, some herbs, pine, I can't really make out the fruits, other than grapefruit and orange. Very different from all other IPAs I have had before.

M: I wish this was a bit more carbonated. It's a bit on the flatter side. Surprisingly lighter in body than it appears (although I wouldn't call it light).

O: I am glad I got to try this. I wonder how it tastes fresher. I think it needs a bit carbonation or thickness in the body.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

A: The pour is a slightly hazy golden color with a finger's worth of white foam on top which has wonderful retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S: The nose on this beer is incredibly floral and piney. The hops do not provide as much in the way of citrus as many California IPAs, but this is more than made up for.

T: This is a wonderfully pungent and bitter IPA. There is a fair amount of grapefruit and orange, which is somewhat surprising due to the absence of these fruits in the nose. The finish is incredibly piney and bitter, but also has a noticeable alcoholic heat to it.

M: The body is full, but almost to a point of syrupy. Luckily there is fairly abundant carbonation after the initial pour, but as this begins to die down, things deteriorate a little bit.

D: This is certainly a fantastic DIPA and one that I'm glad I've been able to try a few times now. That said, it's just very noticeably alcoholic which takes away from the enjoyment a bit.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Served from a 64 oz growler at about 36F into a standard 16 oz pint.

Aroma at the growler top had loads of hops, so big it was like sniffing a bag of hop cones.

Pours with medium thick body and a nice heavy off white head about 1" high.

Color is medium amber, leaning towards golden, essentially no haze.

Nose in the glass has a lovely variety, hoppy, citrusy, sweet and a hint of diacetyl.

Taste is a bit unbalanced in favor of the hops. Maybe a hint of diacetyl, and finish is a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderate thickness for the style, slick, and alcohol warmth is evident, but no fusels.

As it warms in the glass, it perfectly maintains its balance.

Overall quite a drinkable beer, with a high ABV that doesn't dominate the character.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Received this brew from JessetheHutt over there on the Left Coast. Expo has been on my most wanted list for quite some time and I never had the ammo to score a growler because of the ridiculous shit. The regular Alpine IPA's are amazing. CAN NOT wait to taste this badboy. Drank from my Willimantic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super light orange with a decent half finger off-white creamy head. A beautiful cap and collar are maintained the entire beer but somehow not a lot of lacing is left.
Smell- Lightly floral and with a nice soft hoppiness that is different but good. Honestly the first thing that pops out at me is how much vanilla and cream I get in the nose. The wood really does its thing in the nose. Perhaps a touch of lilac and lavender amongst some orange peel and tarragon.
Taste- Starts somewhat harshly bitter but once my mouth acclimates it's full of big bold citrusy hoppy goodness. Loads of grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple and pith of all kinds just explode out of the glass. Hoppy and dank as hell! As the beer warms the vanilla really comes out hardcore as the oak is fairly strong. Sort of remarkably strong considering its just oak chips that are used. The malt sneaks in toward the finish as well adding just a touch of caramel and nutty grain. The alcohol is hidden quite well considering the ABV.
Mouthfeel- Nice heavy body with a big oily richness from the crazy amount of hops and a super light carbonation.
Drinkability- Not bad. Not bad at all. Honestly at first I wasn't all that impressed but after it warmed slightly it was a wholly different beast. Good thing Jesse sent me three bombers because it took all 3 to figure this beer out. It's hoppy as hell and just as woody. Everything I was hoping it would be in the end. Thanks much Jesse!

4.17/5  rDev -5%

My notes are a bit old but good.

This beer is a dark golden color verging on amber with some near-orange hues. There's a nice, creamy white pillow of head on top that has pretty good retention and leaves patchy lacing on the glass.
The nose is a beauty. This is one fragrant beer and a hop monster beside. I really have to sort this out, because there's a deep complexity to it. The hop profile is really a mix of the citrus end of the spectrum and the dryer resiny pine end. Heavy, juicy grapefruit, lemon and orange peel mix with pine resin while, lingering alongside, herbal and flowery notes mingle with a touch of something like honey and maybe even just a hint of something minty way underneath. There's a good, sturdy malt in the aroma to balance it all out.
The flavor follows suit, with the hops profile big, complex and powerful, but it absolutely overpowers the malts in the flavor and, while detectable in the aroma, they're not so much here. There's also a touch more lighter fruit presence coming into play with each sip, so if anything the hops character actually improves. i just need that malt body to hold it together, and a touch of solvent comes through lightly as well. Alcohol is none too noticeable, but does provide a bit of a kick here and there.
This is one of those beers that's dry on the one hand, full of hops character and almost provides a "woody" character, but is proven to be skillfully crafted by a complete smoothing out and a balancing on the tongue to the point that the dryness somehow mingles with a well-carbonated, creamy smoothness in the body. Very nicely done.
I'll seek this out again if I'm out of town someplace where it can be found.

22oz bottle split with a friend

A - dark amber in color with a nice creamy, light khaki colored head. some sticky lacing left behind.

S - very fruity and citrusy hops...candied oranges and pineapple, massive amount of rich sweet caramel and bready malt.

T - though the hops may have faded a bit this is still in that nice heavily-balanced DIPA area...reminiscent of East Coast DIPA's. citrusy and slightly piney hops backed by a strong caramel and fruity base. reminds me of a hop-heavy 90minute with more alcohol.

M - thick bodied and incredibly creamy. carbonation is light but playful. finishes with lingering pine and alcohol burn.

D - dangerously drinkable for the ABV. a great balanced DIPA that is hoppy enough to hold up over some time and please hop-heads.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

this beer comes from a awesome small little brewery out here in san diego, ca. they only release this beer once a year and it normally sells out in about three days, this year though, it sold out in one day. it's a was a limit 6 this year and sold for $10 a 22oz bottle. it has a great hoppy small to it that is quiet overwhelming and awesome. for a 11%ABV, doesn't taste like it. it's easy and smooth.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

a - pours a slightly hazy burnt orange with a one-finger ivory head, good retention and lacing

s - surprisingly sweet malty aroma with a healthy dose of caramel malt and oak, no doubt there is a good amount of hops in the nose as well, lots of orange and grapefruit come through, moderate alcohol presence, some pine, the hops come out more as the beer warms

t - big sweet caramel malt flavor up front, some breadiness and earthiness, mid-palate has considerable bitter orange and grapefruit hop flavors, citrus bitterness lingers into the finish where notes of oak, earthiness and grass appear, slightly astringent alcohol as well, overall a much sweeter beer than most DIPAs I've tried

m - medium-to-full bodied, moderate carbonation, alcohol warming, fairly dry finish from the hop bitterness but the sweetness balances it out pretty well for a DIPA

d - not overly drinkable because you can tell the alcohol is there, but more well-balanced than most DIPAs if not sweet, complexity gives it drinkability points

Overall, another good IPA from Alpine. The oak has definitely mellowed out the hops a little bit. I find it to be a tad too sweet for my tastes - I like DIPAs to be a bit more hop forward.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a slightly hazy deep orange amber color with a small fluffy white head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of grapefruit and slight pineapple with more caramel and toffee than I expected. Taste is much the same as the aroma. Juicy grapefruit mixed with caramel and toffee or butterscotch. Taste is smooth as hell. Medium body with a lingering almost sweet finish. Light to medium level of carbonation, resinous mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this one. I had this right after it came out as well, and the hops are fading quickly. Great beer, especially fresh.

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company