Exponential Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

Added by xlperro on 12-08-2003

Ratings: 1,312 |  Reviews: 400
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

The color on the most recent offering seems to be a little lighter than previous releases. More of a typical IPA coloring than the deeper amber/orange cast to previous samplings. I'm fortunate enough to have had this fresh from the brewery on many occasions, and it never disappoints. Big malty nose, which you'd expect with that ABV, but so well balanced by the truck load of hops that that it's amazingly sippable for an 11%+ Imperial. I've had most of the big names...Both Plinys, Heady Topper, etc, and this is my choice for best Imperial style IPA. It is good to live in Beer Mecca!

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.96/5  rDev +13%

Very lucky to live only about an hour away, I am blessed to be able to head down for most releases of this beer. Some waited in line for hours, I was lucky enough to get 2 bottles out of the last case this week. Line was out the door and around the corner. I of course drank a few from the tap while I was there, because it is one of my favorites of all time. Well worth the wait. If you havnt had this beer, I would certainly make it a priority. at 11% it goes straight to the head perfectly. By far my favorite triple of all time along with Pliny the Younger. No doubt a world class beer. EXPO FOREVER. Hit me up for trades.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Unique! Had on tap at Alpine on release day, then again from a bottle on the same day.

Can say, of the 150+ odd IPA-style beers (single, double, triple, and otherwise) I tasted in 2015, Expo is the best.

The appearance is bright orange with a fine, 3 finger head. Smells like fresh biscuits and orange marmalade, plus honey and hints of oak. Taste is all hops. Glorious, wonderful hops. If you love hops, odds are you'll love Expo. Friends of mine claimed that the oak was very noticeable, I felt that it was a nice background to the overall palette of the beer. The finish is super duper clean even as it strips your tastebuds of any and all ability to ever enjoy a Heineken ever again in your natural lifetime. I have one last bottle burning a hole in my fridge... might be calling my name soon.

3.92/5  rDev -10.7%

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Expo is the easiest drinking double ipa, and ipa for that matter, although very different from when I last remember drinking it. I got straight up honey melon from this bottle and not a ton else, which is odd because I remember mostly citrus notes from the last time I had this beer. Needless to say, this was the smoothest ipa I have ever had, with maybe dinner as an exception. The honey melon flavor works very well but I can't help thinking my bottle was different somehow since I didn't get the grapefruit, orange, or pine notes that I previously remembered and that other reviewers have mentioned about the beer.

4.36/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.7/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.51/5  rDev +2.7%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.66/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.96/5  rDev +13%

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%