Duet | Alpine Beer Company

DuetDuet

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A soon-to-be favorite, if it's already not. This single IPA boasts pine, citrus, and cedar notes from Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Added by SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

Reviews: 868 | Ratings: 4,308
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bomber poured into a Speigelau tulip

Pours a golden copper clear body with a big off-white head of medium sized bubbles with good retention and lacing.

Smell is very piney, earthy, and floral. Small amounts of citrus notes with grapefruit and lemon being predominant. Some honeysuckle. Nice aroma.

Taste is very west coast, with a piney bitterness to the hops up front, more sweet than I would have expected though, some floral and citrus notes rounding out the taste with a dry finish and bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, medium bodied, well carbonated, actually a great feel to this.

Overall, a really refreshing beer, the highlight being how easy-drinking it is. Definitely one of the smoothest IPAs I can remember. Some of the hop flavor may have fallen off since the bottling, and I'd like to try this fresh one day, but still highly enjoyed and definitely recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Received in NOOB BIF 5 from ExplosivoSR...thank you, sir. Really enjoyed this beer...I am just getting into exploring the world of IPA/DIPAs and was excited to try one from a west coast brewery that I had not heard of (beer and brewery).

A-Golden/Light Copper....orangish...just as a fine IPA should

S-great smell...loads of citrus

T-very good...citrus, malts, hops...all over. As others have noted...you get the citrus and progress through the other flavors...quite enjoyable.

M-Medium all around...very drinkable

O-I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this IPA...I found it to be complex in its entireity yet simple in its parts. I would love to have it again sometime.

41st review on BA
Bottle to mug

App- Shimmery orange with gold and yellow highlights. Gigantic 3 finger head that is off white and just fades away so gingerly leaving little pillows of foam. Lacing was quite nice as well.

Smell- It's a flower basket in a glass. Nice hoppy aroma fills the nose.

Taste- I think the flavors are pretty on point with this one. Its get a nice bitter flavor o the finish but the hops aren't overbearing for having the Simcoe and Amarillo working well together.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a slight carbonation. Leaves a great oily taste on the palate.

Drink- I liked this a lot. A nice sessionable IPA that would work well in a six pack for me.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle, pint glass.

Appearance - I thought this beer was lighter in color than a typical IPA. I am used to seeing a distinct orange hue, but this beer was more of a burnt yellow. Good, fluffy foam with tiny bubbles that provided a constant film the entire time. Low-medium lacing.

Smell - Sim-coe sim-coe sim-coe! Grapefruit dominates the smell, though it is well done and overwhelming. Small pine notes as well. Good, though nothing too crazy.

Taste - And ladies and gents, I think I just found my favorite value beer. Found it to be rather piney in the front, and then there seems to be a dip in the bitterness, that gives way to a few malt notes in the middle. Then, just as smoothly, it ramps back up to the sweet-citrus that carries through into probably one of the most lasting aftertastes I have ever had in an IPA.

Mouth Feel - I think this beer might be SLIGHTLY overcarbonated. I get a carbonation sting right off the bat, but it is not bad. Otherwise very light on the palate and finishes very, very smooth.

Drinkability - I would drink this beer all day long. Reasonable ABV and a wonderful complexity would keep me coming back for more. This is one beer I am going to make an effort to try on tap.

Overall, this is a friggen damn good IPA. Not so sure I would rate it as high as many people seem to, but it certainly was a treat. Classic 1-2 punch of simcoe and amarillo, I think I would really like to blind taste-test this and Sculpin. Right now I would say I prefer Sculpin, but it would be interesting to try them back-to-back.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Big fan of Pure Hoppiness here and I just realized that I've never opened the bottle of Duet that I got in a trade. Well, can't waste any more time as I have a homebrew that needs bottles.

Pours a nice golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Sharp. Clear. What more could a chap ask for?

The duo of Amarillo & Simcoe don't fail to impress here. Amazing. Very hoppy, despite the age.

Ditto. A shitload of Amarillo and Simcoe to please the hop lover. I certainly am pleased, sir. In fact, I don't understand how I could let this sit for so long.

Lingering hops and buttery malt in the side corner pocket. The 8-Ball obviously went in because this is drinkable as fuck.

Another excellent IPA to mark off. I've got to get me some more beer from the Alpine Brewing Co.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy and golden peach and orange blend with about a finger of crisp snow white semi-persistent head. The carbonation bubbles are medium sized but bountiful and quickly flow up in many streams to the top of the glass. A sheet of fine lacing, made up of medium size bubbles, is persistently sticking to the side of the glass and shows no sign of movement. Consistent, pretty, and nice.

Smell: The smell is of floral hops, with fruity sweetness as well as a bit of slight spice and honey mixed in. there are some fruit notes in the background as well--banana and juicy oranges in particular stand out to me, which actually blends very nicely with the clove spice. Pine notes are big in the nose of this one, too. As it warms, tropical fruits become increasingly present in the nose. The banana is still there, but I also get a very strong passion fruit out of it.

Taste: The taste on this one is hugely complex. Citrus (lemon and orange peels) and pine hops are probably the most dominant notes, but there are so many others that run just underneath the surface. Juicy oranges are present again (I know I mentioned citrus already but I feel that this merits a second mention just for the amount of JUICE that is in the taste of this, as opposed to the drier, more rind-like taste that comes across more dominantly in the hop notes) as are the bananas and passion fruit carrying over from the nose. I say that there's heavy citrus in this one, and while that's true, I should make it clear that it's the lighter side of the spectrum of citrus--there's not really any hint of a grapefruit bitterness, which is interesting considering the amount of piney hops present (I've found that the two usually go hand in hand somewhat). There's even a slight malty note mixed into the taste on this one. Also present are herbs--particularly thyme and a bit of peppermint.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, delicious, light bodied, and near perfect. The carbonation bubbles are tiny, and move in such a way to convey a slight spiciness, moving the complexities of the taste to the palate, getting their job done, and disappearing. The aftertaste comes across, at times, as if its barely there, and at other times tastes of heavy pine--this is wonderfully done.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable indeed--it's not as light as the nelson (which I just finished reviewing prior to this one) but it's wonderfully complex, which makes it a very interesting brew to drink. Combined with the wonderful mouthfeel, I find myself looking forward to each sip--though they are sips rather than gulps. Pairs quite nicely with some extra sharp cheddar.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very attractive, crystal clear, pale gold. Soft, white, bubbly but sparse head with minimal retention and lacing. Smell is phenomenal. Citrus and pine, dankness, little bit of biscuity cracker, and just a touch of onion. The taste is crisp and bright, but much more mellow than the smell. Pine and grass, some bitter citrus, very clean with just a little bitterness in the aftertaste. Feel is medium and resiny with just the right amount of carbonation. Really like this beer, but with a slightly more pronounced flavor profile it would be a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a standard pint glass, have been reassured that this bottle is fresh.

Pours clear straw golden yellow with a ton of bubbles dancing to the top to form a one finger thick head. Tons and tons of bubbles, lasting head with thick, sudsy lacing.

A great balance between piney hop resin and fruity citrus on the nose. Showcases grass, pine, orange and lemon zest, and a hint of basil and oregano. A touch of pale malt sweetness shines through as the beer warms. Great bright aroma on this one.

Opens with bright, fresh piney hops but isn't as resiny as most. Moves into grass and lime zest, then into some pale malt sweetness. Still great but I think I prefer the aroma on this one.

Soft and crisp with a thin medium body. A touch of stickyness.

Pretty awesome balance between hop varieties. Duet is a very fitting name. Once again, Alpine proves to me why they are considered one of the best pale ale producers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this in a trade. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. There is no bottling date on the bottle (22 ounce). Beer is heady and aggressive. Carbonation moderate to high and steady. After a careful pour I got about 6 ounces into my glass, the head took up the rest. White tiny bubbles giving way to larger bubbles at the top, looks like soap. Beer is light amber in color and mostly clear. There is a slight haze to it. There is aton of lacing as the head falls away from the glass.

This beer does not lack in the aroma department. The strong head and steady carbonation fill the immediate area surrounding the glass with the smell of pine. There is a hard to define sweetness about the smell as well. A very inviting IPA aroma.

I've been slowly adding more beer to the glass as the head disappears, its almost time to drink. Strong bitterness and a slight aftertaste of more pine based hop flavor. There is some funk in the midpalate of the beer so a slight deduction. Body of the beer is medium, its not as if you are chewing the hops down its less forced than that. Overall the drinkability is good and I think this is an excellent example of an American IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This solidifies that Alpine makes some of the best IPAs in the world. I've been wanting to try this for a while now after I had both Pure and Exponential Hoppiness. Here goes...

A: The bottle cracks with a nice, robust pop. Poured into my Duvel tulip a clear orange copper with a gorgeous white head. The sticky hop resin allows the head to stick around and last quite some time. Not much in terms of lacing though.

S: As soon as I started pouring I could smell the juicy citrus hops, and my nose was at least two feet away. An amazing cornucopia of grapefruit, orange, papaya, pineapple, and mango. A true tropical fruit basket. There are some crystal malt backings, but not much.

T: Similar to the smell, this is all tropical citrus fruits. Not as complex as the nose, but it is still quite amazing. So many different tropical fruits, without being overly bitter to drown them out.

Overall, awesome. Just awesome.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An excellent west coast IPA that "hides" its ABV content very well - drinks lighter than it is, like a graceful, stealthy Stone beer. Had it on tap at Fire & Hops in Santa Fe, NM. Up there in the top 10% of IPAs available on the market, just didn't have any extra 'character' that made it notable for me. Still a really good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent ipa. Hoppy and yet still balanced. I'm very happy with all the diffrent hop flavors in this. Piney, citrus, and fruit flavors and aromas. Overall a very good representation of a west coast ipa.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle in a trade with saru96. This is my first Alpine beer, and I've been anticipating this day for some time. Since this isn't a high-gravity beer, I think I'll drink this solo. Get it? Cause Duet... Here we go. Poured from bomber into a standard snifter.

A- Pour does not yield much of a head. A thin white head dissipates quite quickly, leaving some lacing. Dark straw color for this beer. Slight haze, though pretty translucent. Somewhat spotty lacing on the glass as I drink.

S- Pretty standard for a West Coast IPA. Unquestionable citrus aromas of orange zest, grapefruit, lemongrass. Some faint grassy, piney aromas play into the mix as well. What I'm struck by is the balance here. Makes me excited for it to hit my palate.

T- The balance on the nose is followed well on the flavor, only a little less robust. Nothing in your face, just some mild hop bitterness harmonizing wonderfully with the same grapefruit and orange flavors, with a kiss of sweetness from the malt. Very crisp, clean flavors that are wonderfully refreshing.

M- Decent amount of carbonation with a light, crisp mouthfeel. This one could very easily be sessionable. No hint of the alcohol, just hops and citrus flavors coating the palate. The bitterness lingers, too, which is always enjoyable.

O- Quite a melody this one sings. Balance is they key here as all the flavors and aromas sing their melodies and harmonies with delicate precision. This is a really enjoyable beer, and I'm really glad I got my hands on two. Now, to finish off this bottle. Cheers!

4.29/5  rDev 0%

When in California, drink as the Californians do...and I've been doing just that, and here's yet another highly-rated Cali IPA that I can't get in the East. Label says 7%, btw...

Pours a par-for-the-course rusty orange color with a bone-white head that simmers down to a thin layer after a few minutes. Leaves little slashes of lace too.

Intensely aromatic aroma, not harsh or insane, just a beautifully balanced blend of the best that hops has to offer--light pine, juicy and sweet citrus, slightly herbal too (like, cannabis). What makes this an especially comforting smell is the milky/creamy sweetness, adding some additional vibe to an already bright, extremely attractive smell.

Well, the flavor couldn't possibly have lived up to the aroma, but it's still very good. Leans a little bit grassy/bitter, and also has a mint thing coming into the mix. The citrus is more tart than sweet (lots of orange here), and the creamy/milky vibe I got in the nose isn't here on the tongue. Quite drying too, lending a grassy, astringent earthiness to the finish.

Feels a little bit thin, and with a softer carbonation, it doesn't quite have punch or presence along the lines of the flavor or the amazing aroma, but with just a little bit of stick, it works well enough I suppose.

Great stuff. Was a little let down with the texture, but otherwise this is a quintessential West Coast-style IPA.

4.29/5  rDev 0%

thanks to evilc for this awesome extra! thanks chris!

poured into cascade tulip.

Appearance: clear and glowing soft golden bodied beer. 1 finger of thick white head. Not much lacing to speak of and drops quickly to a thin ring around the glass.

Smell: Fruity, citrusy, grassy, and floral hops. Orange rinds, lemons, and peaches. Tropical fruits. Hint of resinous pine. I dont think this beer is brewed with rye, but I get a rye like spiciness in the nose.

Taste: Hop profile is mild to moderately bitter. Peaches, orange rinds and grapefruit notes upfront. A hint of fruity, grassy, tropical fruits, and floral notes in the middle of the beer. Just like in the nose I get a hinting of rye spiciness...yet again I dont think that any rye is used to brew this beer. The finish is full of pine, lemon and grapefruit rind. The finish seems to linger on for a long time and never becomes overbearingly bitter.

Mouthfeel: low end of a medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is really drinkable IPA. The ABV is not really apparent even at 7%. It honestly reminds me of an APA. The beer is really bright and refreshing. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: The thing I love about this beer is that most IPA's beat you over the head with brutal bitterness. This beer has just the right amount of bitterness and big hop flavors without overdoing it. You can easily drink a whole bomber of this beer yourself. Really great complexity from this hop profile. This beer is like hop candy. I am a believer that Alpine has some seriously legendary hoppy beers. Duet is no exception to the statement.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

We knock the top off of a bomber, pouring equally into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It shows up a shiny sunflower yellow coloring, and holds a slowly-dissipating one and a half finger tall head the color of eggshells. Lacing is chunky, spreading out in a honeycomb pattern. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be immensely active. The first thing to hit you in the nose, and it hits hard, is the big evergreen pine quality of the Simcoe hops. Fruity citrics of the Amarillos seep through some cracks as it warms, blending with notes of pale, pilsner, and softer amber grain, biscuity sweetness of raw barley, honey sugars, tonic water, strawberry jam, spiced booziness, plastic wrap, pear fruitiness, tangerine peel zestiness, mild bubblegum juiciness, papier-mâché glue, milk thistle, coiny yeastiness, pickle brine, and fruity herbal and chamomile tea leaves. As advertised, you taste a big west-coast IPA, comprised of bitterly sticky and sappy piney hoppiness, dried pine cones, green acorns, softer balancing hoppiness of citrics and dryer herbals, ethanol bite, lactic acidity, pale and pils grain, astringent detergent soapiness, mineral and clay water, toasted pumpkin seeds, black pepper, mossy musk, and gentle but syrupy fruitiness of pineapple. The aftertaste retains this bitterness for a while, blending dusty biscuity grain with lingering, stalking piney hop bitters. The body is medium, and the carbonation is medium to high. Each sip gives nice slurp and smack, with lighter cream and froth. The mouth is left seriously dried of tannins, with a bit of an accompanying puck. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks seriously, and it drinks well.

Overall, this was a really fun beer to review. There is so much going on between these two hop varietals, and it is great to see them paired up here. They come from essentially opposites sides of the hop wheel, so to speak, with the Simcoes being highly piney and earthy, while the Amarillos are lighter, sweeter, and more citric. The “lighter” aspect of the latter really hits home here, as they are greatly overshadowed by the piney dominance of the Simcoes. This is most apparent though the flavoring, the bitterness of which becomes ingrained within your taste buds and palate. The aroma shows this same preference, but there is greater unity. None of this is to the beer’s detriment, but rather just interesting discussions points between the two of us. As with Nelson, this is a great beer, and showcases some of the more serious, refined, and mature products coming off of the west coast.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is all about the mouth feel and the finish that just keeps going and going think energizer bunny! Just had it on tap at Hopyard in Pleasanton Ca terrific spot and throughly enjoying it! Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding IPA that I was stunned to find at my local MA beer store. The partnership with Green Flash bearing fruit! Nice aroma of citrus and pine accompanies the copper hued body with a thick head. Tropical fruit notes balanced by a strong bitterness that ends crisp and dry. Nothing too juicy but definitely an IPA that that's worth seeking out.

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

thanks Tim for sharing this with me -enjoyed from the crowler chilled in an IPA glass.

The color is golden amber visibly carbonated with 2finger head with fine bead and lace sticks on the glass in a weblike pattern. The aroma is slightly floral with tropical smell that is citrus with juicy and fruity quality with slightly sweet malt aroma supporting the hops. The feel is medium bodied with mild carbonation and sweetness with semi-tangy and resinous juicy texture of hops with light alcohol influence and mostly dry finish.

The flavor of tangy/tropical hops give a juicy quality with light pine-like accent and mild grapefruit pith in the taste which is bitter but not extremely intense to the point it is not enjoyable. The malt flavor contributes a sweetness to contrast the bitterness of the high alpha hops as it warms with some alcohol apparent adding the perception of spice. This is a great IPA, I would not expect anything less from Alpine based on other beers I have enjoyed by them -worthy of the high ratings.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into IPA glass. It pours a hazy golden yellow with a thick, frothy two-finger milk white head and extensive lacing. It smells of pine needles, grapefruit, and floral hops, with a whiff of orange. The orange really comes through in the taste, followed by grapefruit, pine, and more malt than I expected. It finishes pretty bitter and dank. This ale is medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, and with an ABV of only 7% it is very drinkable. Overall, it is an excellent IPA. I really like the orange presence. I would definitely drink Duet again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap. Another long awaited "Want" cut into the bedpost. Pours a slightly hazy, dark orange color with a soft head. Mild lacing. Aroma is deep and resiny. West Coast all up in this nose. Amarill and Simcoe pull zero punches. Pine, grass, grapefruit, and some other fruit/hop elements. Malt? We don't need no malt here. The flavor hits my tongue and detonates. Heavy bursts of that pine and fruit I found in the nose. Earth hops. Some tropical fruits as well. A barely-noticeable sweet and neutral malt cloak. This feels and tastes like a big Double IPA. 7% feels and tastes like 10% but without the added alcohol. A West Coast uppercut of bitterness floors my palate. Lingering, long, formiddable bitterness. Has a fuller body. Is beer was quite a good time. Alpine in Massachusetts is a good thing for this dude.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into two tulips.

Appearance - Golden amber color with incredible clarity. 2 finger white head that lasts and lasts. When it finally dies down, the surface is coated with foam that sticks to the side of the glass. It looks perfect.

Smell - Totally overwhelmed by citrus hops. Orange hops with some pine in the background. There's a sweetness that isn't caramel at all. It's a hop sweetness. Mmmm.

Taste - Citrus hops again. Some grapefruit, but mostly orange and some pine. It's the slightest bit sweet, but it doesn't taste like hop sweetness. It's hard to place. The malt just barely comes through as a bit nutty. That's really my only complaint. It could have just a bit more malt backbone, but just a bit! It finishes with a lingering hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation makes it feel a bit creamy. It could use a bit more body, but that follows along with my complaint about the malt. Just a bit more and this would be a perfect IPA.

Overall - It's fantastic. It's like Hopslam, but a better hop presence and it's not overly alcoholic. If I had my way and there was just a bit more malt to it, it would be about 8% instead of 7%. At 7%, it's so drinkable it's scary. I hope I can get another bottle of this.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is fruity and mellow. Orange, apricot, and a hint of cannabis. Taste follows suit: bright and fruity with a nice bitter bite. Malts are pretty subdued, just a hint of cracker. Bitterness and a little heat make a pleasing aftertaste. This is not as citrus-focused as your average west coast IPA, but is a wonderful diversion.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

very happy to finally see this in northern California. picked up a bottle at nugget in Vacaville. pours a slightly hazy orange with a decent head for the style. decent hop aroma, but overall very clean and enticing brew.

the drink is a hop bomb. classic socal style... a very crisp dry drink with a massive hop bite. citrus up front and a little sticky pine resin on the back end.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy, golden orange in color with a thin head that dissipated fairly rapidly.
S: Pine, very tropical, grapefruit and pineapple.
T: Similar to nose, slight grapefruit like bitterness, tropical notes galore.
M: Medium carbonation, slight dry/bitter finish.
O: Another really good IPA. Reminded me of Firestone Walker's "Union Jack".

Duet from Alpine Beer Company