Duet | Alpine Beer Company

DuetDuet

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A soon-to-be favorite, if it's already not. This single IPA boasts pine, citrus, and cedar notes from Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Added by SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

Ratings: 4,363 |  Reviews: 877
3.15/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap in Portland. Not my jam at all--malty and abrasive

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.16/5  rDev -26.3%

3.19/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

clear copper medium head.
pine orange and malt
taste pithy little malt sweetness but nowhere near as malty as the aroma would lead one to believe
feels thin and crispy a little harsh
decent not great

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, best by 09 JUN 16.

Pale amber color and mostly clear with a very slight haze. Large, persistent, creamy, white head sits on top and doesn't move for about 2-3 mins. Nice looking beer, unfortunately that was as good as it got.

Aroma is very mild. Searching hard, I could pick up floral hops with orange and peach/apricot. Light caramel malt.

Those exact aromas carry over into the flavor. Finish is dry but the flavors are dull and don't really "pop" at all.

Medium bodied and a bit of a thin texture. Lively carbonated with a slight warming sensation.

This one just isn't doing it for me. Very lackluster and missing those bold, citric, herbal qualities that make IPAs so great. Freshness freaks will claim that since this was not super fresh it has lost its luster. I say it's 3 months before the best by date so quality shouldn't be an issue.

3.21/5  rDev -25.2%

I was looking forward to having this beer as well as other Alpine Beers on tap while visiting California. Had this beer in Los Angeles and was surprised how much it dissapointed me in the aroma and taste department. The floral and grassy notes were too flowery in a Sauvingon Blanc kind of way and irritatingly grassy. The taste was more astringent than bitter to my palette. I thought that maybe it was a bad keg or wasn't fresh so I had it again at Toronado and it was exactly the same. I guess I'm missing something about this IPA because I'm one of the few that doesn't particularly like it.

3.22/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.26/5  rDev -24%

Bottle courtesy of DearthVader, straight from the West Coast, thanks for the chance to try this, Brian!

A: Crystal clear, golden sunny yellow body with a rather creamy white head. Nice retention cap throughout and some splotchy lacing is left behind.

S: Unfortunately this nose to me is terribly weak and lacking in both complexity and showcasing... of anything! Watery grains laid a sub-par base for this beer, backed only by very faint citrus hop notes. As it warmed, some pine and more earthy hops come forward but overall, a poor show of flavors.

T: Rice water, sweet corn-esque malt base, resiny and sticky hops coat the palate (the one saving grace of the taste). To me, this flavor profile seems to stray very very far from that "West Coast" IPA profile - this is more earthy and sappy. It's odd - something has to be off. This can't be how this beer should be, can it?

M: Extremely thin, almost watery though nice carbonation.

It was great to finally try something from Alpine, but I'm not sure what was going on here. Maybe I need to revisit another bottle at another time, but right now - this seemed to be very weak, (almost) flavorless and off.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: pours a yellow color, with a 1 finger white head. Sub-par head retention, moderate lacing.

S: Lots of pine. Actually, it's a very intense and one-dimensional pine experience without much else in the smell.

T: Just as with the smell, a ton of pine and not much else.

M: Too thin for my liking. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Overall just your run of the mill IPA, nothing about it made me think "wow this is special, unique, or great" Not that it's terrible, but Duet is by far my least favorite of the Alpine IPAs at our tasting. I really don't think this deserves to be anywhere close to the top 100.

3.3/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.31/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - To be honest, I'm not sure looks can be rated really. Seriously, unless its a stout that looks like an IPA or a session beer that's as dark as a Porter...who am I or anyone for that matter to say what any beer should look like as long as its in the ball park of what it says it is. After all, there are black IPA's. However, I give this beer a 3 because for one, I poured the entire beer pretty aggressively before I saw any head and when head finally appeared, it was about maybe a nickel thick which faded as quick as it appeared (within about 5 seconds).
Smell - You can imagine most of the aroma comes from the head and since there wasn't much of one, there wasn't much of a smell.
Taste - Got to admit, for a beer with not much of a smell and no head, it definitely taste like it has potential. I get a lot of orange and orange peel citrus flavors, not so much grapefruit like some are saying. I think a lot of people are confusing grapefruit notes with the citrus from orange peels, limes (maybe) and the bitterness from hopes (definitely not getting much grape fruit though). Of course this could be due to flatness and the loss of carbonation due too poor bottling which I believe is the case with my beer since some are saying they had 1-2 inches of head. This would explain the lack of smell and head. Again the beer has a good flavor.
Feel - Flat and low in carbonation (enough said). Would like to get a hold of one that's bottle better.
Overall - I didn't rate this one as low as I should have simply because I can tell it has potential and don't too much judge a beer based on bottling issues. So I'm open for a 2nd attempt and will update my rating if I have a better experience.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.75] Beer is a nice apricot color. It forms a full finger of white head with medium bubbles. The bottle lists the ABV (7.0%) it has a best by date (07/28/2016).

S: [3.00] Musty hop scent. Like decent hops that got wet and then left for a while.

T: [3.50] Orange is the predominant flavor. I got a lot of orange up front and then again on the finish - but more as a orange rind flavor.

M: [3.25] Body is medium with light carbonation.

O: [3.25] This went past the best by 3 days ago. So it is older - but it should still hold up. It does seem to have a faded flavor. The malts are no where to be found. This is a bit of a "meh" beer.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%

Purchased at south bay drugs.

A - Poured copper with a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated fast and left no lacing.

S - Roasted honey, nectar esters, citrus, and light bittering hops.

T - Roasted honey, nectar esters and bittering hops. Where did the citrus go? The roasted honey could have been tannic.

M - Moderate bodied and well-balanced. Finishes rather dry for a standard IPA.

D - Not bad. A good quaff, definitely not top 100. The tannic flavor killed the citrusy hops.

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A nice IPA, a little too malty for me, and overall not especially exciting... Not even close to the magnitude of Nelson!

3.37/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for trading me this bomber!

It only just arrived yesterday so when I go to open it, there's a bit of gushing. Pours a hazy pale copper color with thick rocky head. It sticks around a long time leaving chunky lace on the glass.

Aroma is pleasant with candied citrus fruits and grapefruit.

Flavor initially tastes a bit off. Grapefuit competing with oxidation? Going back to the smell, I can detect it in the nose too. A sharp astringent flavor and wet cardboard flavor make this totally disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with appropriate body but the off flavors ruin it. Drinkability is pretty pour as a result.

This is a shame. I can only hope that the Nelson and Sculpin will make up for it.

...an hour later... not as bad as it was at first. I'm not sure if it's mellowing out or I'm just getting used to it. Unfortunately, it's probably a bad bottle. If I get the chance, I'd like to try it again.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Look: golden yellow with no and head in sight

Smell: The beer has a funky hop scent to it reminds of me dandelions and citrus fruits. Not a big fan

Taste: I am not a fan of the way the two hops meld together in this beer, it almost seems like they are working against each other. The great balance between the hops and malt make this beer drinkable but I am not a big fan of the flavor. Also has hints of orange zest lemon and caramel

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation levels and goes down crisp and clean

Overall: I dont want to beat a dead horse here but like I said earlier I am not a fan of this here IPA. I did not care at all for the flavor profile or the smell of the beer the two things I am most interested in when drink a beer.

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite - an incredible beer.

A - Duet has a bright yellow color with a tiny bit of haziness. As a fellow BA pointed out, this beer looks like a glass of pee. Poor head retention with somewhat decent lacing.

S - Pleasant smell - lemon soapiness, and piney hops.

T - Piney hops is about all I get here. A little bit of citrus hops and a little bit of malt, but not enough balance in my opinion.

M - Just so-so. Pretty thin.

D - The thinness of this beer makes it quite drinkable. The only limitation to the drinkability is the painful intensity of the pine hops that overwhelm any other flavors in the beer.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a five+ finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Pine hop nose, flavor follows with piney hops balanced with caramel hops. $3.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

Duet from Alpine Beer Company