Duet | Alpine Beer Company

DuetDuet

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A soon-to-be favorite, if it's already not. This single IPA boasts pine, citrus, and cedar notes from Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Added by SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

#375

Ratings: 4,401 |  Reviews: 885

Yup, Yep. Yum yum bubbles

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Best by August 2016, so I may not be completely fair on this here.

The body is hazy orange-honey colored, with a towering head of 3 fingers, leaving TONS of good lace behind. Some hop sediment floating.

Lots of caramel and old hop aromas, so yeah this isn't starting off too great. Light pine behind that.

Flavor is better regardless of the old hop. Citrus, melon, pine. The spoiled hop does rest on the palate heavily at the end though.

Feel is thick and creamy, ever so slightly resinous. Very good here.

Overall, if I can get my hands on a fresh sample I may revise this review. I can't help but think that what I've got in my glass is totally unfair for me to diss on. I upped everything by a quarter point over my impressions to make up for it.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good try at IPA but after drinking stone enjoy by.... carton boat and other big beers, the hops here seem very muted and not as pronounced. I was expecting a bigger punch, and for 11.00 a bottle I was let down.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alpine brews are new to my town, and I was anxious to try them. Of the three I tried at the release party, this was favorite. A quite nice IPA, and one I'll enjoy again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Version. From the Duets I've had in the past, the hop element did not shine through as much. Plenty of Amarillo (in the nose), light pine (in the nose). Taste, faint pine, almost muted, but heavily bitter. I was a bit taken back by the bitterness on this one. I love bitter, but balanced, I didn't find the balance in this one.

3.55/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My first ale from Alpine and their most popular, 4300 ratings and 834 reviews. I can't add much. Had with habanero salsa. I might try their APAs.

3.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

22 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a medium frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is fruity piney hops with some resin and some caramel/crystal malt.

The flavor is sweet biscuity malt with resiny piney hops and some fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a nice IPA. I remember it being better on tap.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1 PT. 6 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a brilliant golden color with three inches of fluffy, beige head that leaves a little lacing.

I get some citrus and pine aromas with some malt coming through. It smells old.

The taste is extremely bitter. It is not what I remember from having it on draft. I fear that I got duped into buying an old bottle.

Medium to light mouthfeel

The clown at the bottle shop told me they got this beer in within the last two weeks. I should have went with my gut and passed. It is an old bottle. I will revisit this one.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to walows for the extra! Poured from bomber (no date stamp) into a dimpled mug. Pours a bright orange color along with a nice creamy head that quickly dissipates, good lacing that lasts throughout the session. Moderate malt and hop aromas of light bread and caramel, flowers, spruce, grapefruit, orange, light yeast, and perhaps a background note of sour milk on the last pour. Flavor starts lightly sweet and moderately acidic, then finishes lightly acidic and lightly to moderately bitter. Palate is medium, oily with a lively carbonation and lightly astringent and dry finish. The combination of the two hops (Simcoe and Amarillo) bring out some excellent aromas that give Duet a great name! This went very well with my sausage and mushroom pizza.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Orangish copper pour with a lacy white head. Not that much in the aroma. A little bit of citrus. Lots of lime flavors, plain mouthfeel. A very alright IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75