Duet | Alpine Beer Company

DuetDuet

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A soon-to-be favorite, if it's already not. This single IPA boasts pine, citrus, and cedar notes from Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Added by SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

firstprev| 801-825 | 826-850 | 851-875  | next → last
Reviews: 865 | Ratings: 4,290
4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a slightly fogged amber gold. Nose is pine resin sticky-ness. Flavor is just smooth. Damn smooth. Obviously wet hopped. Pine tones but a nutty edge to it as well. Some caramel is there also. Feel is slick and smooth. Good carbonation. A damn fine IPA. A stellar and masterfully brewed beer. Just damn good.

Brewandbbq hooks it up again on this one. Big pile o' thanks man.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

A-Deep, orange hued copper with a thin white head that left spotty lacing.

S-In the red corner the pine resin scent of Simcoe! In the blue corner the citrus zest scent of Amarillo! Lets get ready to rumble!

T-Bam! A massive right hook to my palate with the duel attack of Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Then comes in a bit of caramel malt sweetness to make sure I am OK!

M-Medium-light bodied a a bit on the thin side...this one is all about the hops so damn the malt support....give me more hops!

D-A hop head I am and this is a hop heads brew. Simcoe and Amarillo...how can you go wrong? Alpine didn't with this one that's for sure!

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Had on tap before but brought this growler home a few days ago right from the Alpine Brewery's tap.

A- light golden and super clear. Bright white foamy head.

S- Pretty mild but hoppy. Amarillo + Simcoe so it's got sort of a citrusy aspect from the Simcoe and a sweetness from the Amarillo.

T- very light in bitterness but lots of hop flavor (as described above) on a light body. Really more of a hop sweetness

Very good IPA that is more 1 dimensional on the hops

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

on tap @ San Diego Brewing Company

A- light orange (attractive) decent retent on a silky white head, foam lingers throughout

S- strong aroma of floral and citrus

T- hoppy but yet tastes well balanced & toasted malts can be found, grassy with a citrus rind finish and citric hop aftertaste

M- medium body featuring a delightful hop presence

D- amazing IPA (one of my favorites), damn enjoyable an drinkable, highly recommended

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

On draft at O'Brien's
A- Clear medium-dark orange hue, minimal white head, minimal lacing
S- Huge nose of pine hops and resin, grass and floral tones, slight citrus
T- Very hop-forward, pungent pine resin dominates the palate (like chewing pine needles.... in a good way), opens up to some sweetness but finishes dry
M- Medium-bodied, oily texture coats the mouth, moderate carbonation
D- Super piney IPA, hops overwhelm the malts-in-hiding but the balance is there, can sense the underlying alcohol presence but its not overwhelming, unique and complex IPA definitely worth checking out (if you can find it)

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Sampled at the San Diego County Fair.

An excellent IPA. Nice, clean and citrusy. Grapefruit and lemon are the predominant hop flavors. Touches of toffee in the malt. A very good, focused, West Coast style IPA.

Highly recommended. This was a standout for me at the fair. Wouldn't have minded having a full pint of this one. Hope to see it at one of the SD bars in the near future.

3.64/5  rDev -15.2%

I love some of Alpine's ales more than life itself, but I was disappointed in this one. It has a nice floral bouquet, but it lacked body and sufficient flavor to really wow me. Very little complexity. Maybe I was hoping for too much since the pub I was in had just run out of pure hoppiness and the barmaid said this would be a reasonable substitute. There really are very few substitutes for pure hoppiness.

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to weeheavySD for the growler!

A: Fairly tame golden copper color with a clean complexity. Just a few bubbles meander up to the top. Head is medium sized with a decent creaminess to it, a basic whipped butter color.

S: Vibrant green grapefruit zest, lemon essence, distant pine forest wavering on a subtle breeze, strawberry fields, watermelon and crystallized mango. Exceptional aroma.

T: Starts off with that “Alpine” buttery hop sensation that massages the tongue with its smooth texture. There’s a little bit of yellow apple, green melon, clover honey and a whole lotta star fruit. You know that flavor that hits the tip of your tongue when you bite into a plum? I get a lot of that as well as iced tea and marjoram. The flavor sort of falls short after this point and doesn’t get any more complex. The flavor lingers for a while and is quite nice but finishes right about here

M: Medium body and soft

D: Seriously quaffable and easy to drink. The growler really didn’t stand a chance. It wasn’t the most complex beer but it has a really nice flavor with long lingering flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

What can I say about this beer. 1st of all the smell is that of pine and citrus, I know, I know everyone has heard that about this beer. But quite strange, yesterday I smelled pine, today I smell orange citrus. Sort of smells as if you put a package of simcoe hops with oranges. Yeah, how silly that's the smell of the hops used in the making.
Taste, well yesterday, I have to be totally honest. I bought 2 growlers of this, yesterday I was willing to give the second one away saying that I really didn't care for it. Today, well I guess my taste buds were on vacation because today when I taste it, it tastes like a orange, but not nearly as strong.
The look, well I hear the range for IPAs ranging from a light hue of yellow to a dark hue of yellow. Well this is a light hue, and then a drop of red and yellow food die. There you go.
Mouthfeel is that of drinking a tropicana, a little bit towards the light side of orange juice, but hey, isn't this suppose to be a beer anyway. One could drink these all day, without being hit to hard on the alcohol side of this.
Really the alcohol has not come through at all. Even if you look for it. Your really couldn't tell how much alcohol is in this, than you can an orange juice. WTF, orange juice doesn't have alcohol in it. Well true but you sure can't tell from this one either.
This is a excellent IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Duet is the perfect west coast style IPA. Light in body, beautiful floral / citrus aroma, clean taste with just enough bitter overtone.

It is a real shame that Alpine's small production prevents more people from trying this fantastic beer. Hopefully they will bottle it at some point so that it will get at least the distribution that Pure Hoppiness does.

If you are in the area, be sure to stop by the brewery and pick up a growler or three.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

The only disappointing about Alpine's beers is limited geographic area that I can get them in. Everytime I'm in the San Diego, one of my goals is to get a bunch of these delicious brews in my belly. Arriving at the Stone Anniversary, the guest breweries were alphabetized. Brilliant! Alpine for the start!

Alpine had two of their offerings to taste: this and Pure Hoppiness, so the missus and I got one of each. Later in the evening, with both on-tap at the Liars Club - I got a pint of each.

Duet, new to me, is everything I long for in an IPA: fruity, floral with a generous portion of American hops. Lots of lacing throughout my glass, the bright amber beer had a good sized head. Plenty of hops in the nose, the best type: fruity with a slight pine flavor. The taste was much the same, rounded out with a pleasant malt balancing that limited the bitter bite.

This is an outstanding IPA, of the hundreds that I've tried - this is right near the top.

This beer pours a light golden color with a white head. The head fades fast, leaving a lot of laces.

This beer has a grassy hop aroma. It also has a slight citrus aroma.

This beer has a very grassy flavor. It reminds me of when I cut the grass. When the grass is fresh cut and a little moist. It sounds lame, but every time I drink it, I get a picture in my mind of mowing the lawn.

This refreshing beer goes down smooth, leaving a grassy taste, and a grassy memory. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It tastes great. I doubt I would ever get tired of it.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at O'Briens.

Light white cakey foam head. Strong scent of grapefruit rind and something not quite piney but very hoppy. I'm being greedy when I say I wish there were an even bigger aroma. Flavor is just like it smells. Medium strong hop bite plants this firmly in the IPA range. I tried sniffing for orange but didn't get it. Malt kicks in about 5 seconds later. Clean, hoppy, malty, tons of flavor. Virtually perfect. This is what I strive for in my homebrew!

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

West Coast style IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Sampled this one at the brewery, then on tap at O'Brien's and again at the Liar's Club. Could not get enough of it. Light bronze, big sticky foam head. Huge, unique hop explosion of an aroma. Reminded me of sticking my head into a big bag of leaf hops before tossing them in the boil. Flavor follows suit, grapefruity citrus blended with dirty spiced pine. An astounding blend of hop flavor. Hints of mandarin orange & fresh cut grass. Not a harshly bitter beer, but it certainly lingers on the tongue. Medium bodied. Biscuit and light caramel round this out beautifully. Delightful medley of flavors showcasing the hops uniquely. Best IPA I've had to date.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

I am a huge Alpine fane and when O'Brien's was pouring a new IPA from Alpine I had to stop by for a pint.

Pours a bright amber color, my pint had not head but little bubbles of lacing.

Smells great, like fresh citrus hops like most Alpine brews.

Very nice malt smweetness swiftly followed by a citrus bitter smack in the mouth. The bitterness fades quickley and reduces to a very smooth finish that makes me want to take another sip.

Very good brew, big hoppiness, goes down smooth, not sure of ABV but I'm sure it will come back to haunt me.

Cheers!