Duet | Alpine Beer Company

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A soon-to-be favorite, if it's already not. This single IPA boasts pine, citrus, and cedar notes from Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Added by SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

Reviews: 860 | Ratings: 4,266
1.77/5  rDev -58.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

"**
03/26/2016
Ouch, lots of Lysol. Was hoping to like this better than Pure Hoppiness, but it is definitely worse. Aroma is a bit Funky behind the Lysol. Taste has a stale and sour element to it. Not Good.

Side by Side of 5 IPA's
1. Southern Tier UnEarthly
2. Ballast Point Sculpin
3. Evil Genius ""This One Time At Band Camp""
4. Alpine Pure Hoppiness
5. Alpine Duet
** "

1.99/5  rDev -53.6%

A-hazy yellow with white lacing around edges
S-smells a lot like butter. Like the kind you woukd put on popcorn. Good on popcorn. Bad with beer
T-Hard to really describe. Very buttery. Hops appear for a second but are gone even faster.
M-moderate body with slight carbonation. Goes down smooth
D-like putting your nose at a movie theatre snack stank and drinking a beer. Novelty for the nose, not for the mouth.

What the hell happened to this bottle? Someone please send me another!

2.85/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Definitely not the same since Green Flash. Very mediocre IPA. Has a generic IPA feel to it. The aroma isn't great, mild at best. It's a real shame. This was one of my favorite IPAs in the past. I keep hoping that GF will get it together and do this beer justice, but no, just no. Won't buy another GF Alpine beer. A real shame

2.91/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my thing. Not hating on Alpine or Green Flash here, as I've only tried the Green Flash version. Aroma is aiiiiite. Taste is extremely bitter and unbalanced. Definitely did not do it for me. Second time I've DP'd this. Both different batches I would assume, based on their enjoy by dates.

2.91/5  rDev -32.2%

A- Pours a sunset orange hue with a thick, frothy 2 finger head. A perfect example of the style.

S- Smells grapefruity, citrus, earthy notes with buttery diacteyl undertones.

T- Very buttery, possibly infected. Citrus and light fruits break through but can't make up for the butter.

M- Medium carbonation, medium viscosity.

D- It was a great beer to look at but the buttery notes ruined it. I'd be willing to rerate to see if it was a bad bottle.

2.97/5  rDev -30.8%

Don't know why I do it to myself, but I keep going back to GF brewed Alpine each time I see a new fresh batch. I keep hoping the Alpine IPAs I know and love show up. And each time I get so disappointed. Half of me didn't want to review this swill out of respect for a killer brewery--but hey: if you put your name on crap, that's on you.

And this is crap. From a 12 oz bottle, pours with a tiny head that immediately dissipates. Highly filtered, golden amber. Minimal hop aroma, despite being 5.5 months ahead of the best by date. So this is fresh. Minimal mouth coating hop resin. Sweet, like a poorly built pale ale. And all around just boring. This is not Alpine as Alpine should be.

This will be my last GF Alpine purchase.

Such a shame.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, best by 09 JUN 16.

Pale amber color and mostly clear with a very slight haze. Large, persistent, creamy, white head sits on top and doesn't move for about 2-3 mins. Nice looking beer, unfortunately that was as good as it got.

Aroma is very mild. Searching hard, I could pick up floral hops with orange and peach/apricot. Light caramel malt.

Those exact aromas carry over into the flavor. Finish is dry but the flavors are dull and don't really "pop" at all.

Medium bodied and a bit of a thin texture. Lively carbonated with a slight warming sensation.

This one just isn't doing it for me. Very lackluster and missing those bold, citric, herbal qualities that make IPAs so great. Freshness freaks will claim that since this was not super fresh it has lost its luster. I say it's 3 months before the best by date so quality shouldn't be an issue.

3.21/5  rDev -25.2%

I was looking forward to having this beer as well as other Alpine Beers on tap while visiting California. Had this beer in Los Angeles and was surprised how much it dissapointed me in the aroma and taste department. The floral and grassy notes were too flowery in a Sauvingon Blanc kind of way and irritatingly grassy. The taste was more astringent than bitter to my palette. I thought that maybe it was a bad keg or wasn't fresh so I had it again at Toronado and it was exactly the same. I guess I'm missing something about this IPA because I'm one of the few that doesn't particularly like it.

3.26/5  rDev -24%

Bottle courtesy of DearthVader, straight from the West Coast, thanks for the chance to try this, Brian!

A: Crystal clear, golden sunny yellow body with a rather creamy white head. Nice retention cap throughout and some splotchy lacing is left behind.

S: Unfortunately this nose to me is terribly weak and lacking in both complexity and showcasing... of anything! Watery grains laid a sub-par base for this beer, backed only by very faint citrus hop notes. As it warmed, some pine and more earthy hops come forward but overall, a poor show of flavors.

T: Rice water, sweet corn-esque malt base, resiny and sticky hops coat the palate (the one saving grace of the taste). To me, this flavor profile seems to stray very very far from that "West Coast" IPA profile - this is more earthy and sappy. It's odd - something has to be off. This can't be how this beer should be, can it?

M: Extremely thin, almost watery though nice carbonation.

It was great to finally try something from Alpine, but I'm not sure what was going on here. Maybe I need to revisit another bottle at another time, but right now - this seemed to be very weak, (almost) flavorless and off.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: pours a yellow color, with a 1 finger white head. Sub-par head retention, moderate lacing.

S: Lots of pine. Actually, it's a very intense and one-dimensional pine experience without much else in the smell.

T: Just as with the smell, a ton of pine and not much else.

M: Too thin for my liking. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Overall just your run of the mill IPA, nothing about it made me think "wow this is special, unique, or great" Not that it's terrible, but Duet is by far my least favorite of the Alpine IPAs at our tasting. I really don't think this deserves to be anywhere close to the top 100.

3.31/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - To be honest, I'm not sure looks can be rated really. Seriously, unless its a stout that looks like an IPA or a session beer that's as dark as a Porter...who am I or anyone for that matter to say what any beer should look like as long as its in the ball park of what it says it is. After all, there are black IPA's. However, I give this beer a 3 because for one, I poured the entire beer pretty aggressively before I saw any head and when head finally appeared, it was about maybe a nickel thick which faded as quick as it appeared (within about 5 seconds).
Smell - You can imagine most of the aroma comes from the head and since there wasn't much of one, there wasn't much of a smell.
Taste - Got to admit, for a beer with not much of a smell and no head, it definitely taste like it has potential. I get a lot of orange and orange peel citrus flavors, not so much grapefruit like some are saying. I think a lot of people are confusing grapefruit notes with the citrus from orange peels, limes (maybe) and the bitterness from hopes (definitely not getting much grape fruit though). Of course this could be due to flatness and the loss of carbonation due too poor bottling which I believe is the case with my beer since some are saying they had 1-2 inches of head. This would explain the lack of smell and head. Again the beer has a good flavor.
Feel - Flat and low in carbonation (enough said). Would like to get a hold of one that's bottle better.
Overall - I didn't rate this one as low as I should have simply because I can tell it has potential and don't too much judge a beer based on bottling issues. So I'm open for a 2nd attempt and will update my rating if I have a better experience.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.75] Beer is a nice apricot color. It forms a full finger of white head with medium bubbles. The bottle lists the ABV (7.0%) it has a best by date (07/28/2016).

S: [3.00] Musty hop scent. Like decent hops that got wet and then left for a while.

T: [3.50] Orange is the predominant flavor. I got a lot of orange up front and then again on the finish - but more as a orange rind flavor.

M: [3.25] Body is medium with light carbonation.

O: [3.25] This went past the best by 3 days ago. So it is older - but it should still hold up. It does seem to have a faded flavor. The malts are no where to be found. This is a bit of a "meh" beer.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%

Purchased at south bay drugs.

A - Poured copper with a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated fast and left no lacing.

S - Roasted honey, nectar esters, citrus, and light bittering hops.

T - Roasted honey, nectar esters and bittering hops. Where did the citrus go? The roasted honey could have been tannic.

M - Moderate bodied and well-balanced. Finishes rather dry for a standard IPA.

D - Not bad. A good quaff, definitely not top 100. The tannic flavor killed the citrusy hops.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for trading me this bomber!

It only just arrived yesterday so when I go to open it, there's a bit of gushing. Pours a hazy pale copper color with thick rocky head. It sticks around a long time leaving chunky lace on the glass.

Aroma is pleasant with candied citrus fruits and grapefruit.

Flavor initially tastes a bit off. Grapefuit competing with oxidation? Going back to the smell, I can detect it in the nose too. A sharp astringent flavor and wet cardboard flavor make this totally disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with appropriate body but the off flavors ruin it. Drinkability is pretty pour as a result.

This is a shame. I can only hope that the Nelson and Sculpin will make up for it.

...an hour later... not as bad as it was at first. I'm not sure if it's mellowing out or I'm just getting used to it. Unfortunately, it's probably a bad bottle. If I get the chance, I'd like to try it again.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Look: golden yellow with no and head in sight

Smell: The beer has a funky hop scent to it reminds of me dandelions and citrus fruits. Not a big fan

Taste: I am not a fan of the way the two hops meld together in this beer, it almost seems like they are working against each other. The great balance between the hops and malt make this beer drinkable but I am not a big fan of the flavor. Also has hints of orange zest lemon and caramel

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation levels and goes down crisp and clean

Overall: I dont want to beat a dead horse here but like I said earlier I am not a fan of this here IPA. I did not care at all for the flavor profile or the smell of the beer the two things I am most interested in when drink a beer.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite - an incredible beer.

A - Duet has a bright yellow color with a tiny bit of haziness. As a fellow BA pointed out, this beer looks like a glass of pee. Poor head retention with somewhat decent lacing.

S - Pleasant smell - lemon soapiness, and piney hops.

T - Piney hops is about all I get here. A little bit of citrus hops and a little bit of malt, but not enough balance in my opinion.

M - Just so-so. Pretty thin.

D - The thinness of this beer makes it quite drinkable. The only limitation to the drinkability is the painful intensity of the pine hops that overwhelm any other flavors in the beer.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a five+ finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Pine hop nose, flavor follows with piney hops balanced with caramel hops. $3.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

3.44/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap at Alpine Beer Company in Alpine, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin white head. Low retention rate and no lacing. Pale golden color with high clarity.

S- Heavy citrusy hops. Grapefruit, pine and other light smells. Several kinds of hops detected.

T- Hop-forward, bitter and citrusy. West coast IPA for sure.

M- Thicker feel for an IPA, smooth.

O- I found it to be a slightly above average West Coast IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 45F.

Pours clear amber with a one-finger white head that leaves some spots of lacing and recedes to a wispy foamy cap.

Aroma is some pine, citrus rind, grapefruit/orange, some pineapple, a bit of tropical fruit, decent amount of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is resinous hops, some citrus, good pine, a bit of tropical fruit, sizeable caramel malt backbone in the middle, mild sweetness, mild to moderate bitterness, some alcohol at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus bodied, very oily, somewhat sticky, mild to moderate carbonation.

I dunno if this is a little old or what, but kind of let down on this one. For as much praise as Duet receives, I’ve just got a little above-average IPA here.

3.49/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a La Fin du Monde tulip. The pour is pale gold, fairly clear, and sports about 2 fingers of fine white foam with good retention. The nose gives lemon zest, orange rind, a little bit of sweet toasted malt.

Medium-light body with a delicate feel and a balanced flavor that is dry throughout. Very light cracker-like graininess up front, then sharp hop flavors that are restrained and supported by malty flavors of toast and honey. Some pine and cedar and a little bit of lemon. The hop flavors seem undecided. Do I want to be resiny and piney or do I want to be citrusy? While the hops argue, the malt just lingers around. The finish is lemon and honey and rather short-lived.

I kind of knew what I was getting into when I bought this beer. I believe it has been around for a while and is not a "modern IPA". Nevertheless, this does not represent what I think a West coast IPA is. With the toasted malt character and subdued hop profile, it drinks more like a classic English IPA. It's a good beer, but it is very over-priced at $14 per six-pack. I'm not buying this again, nor can I recommend it. Still, I know this brewery is capable of pushing the proverbial envelope and I wouldn't hesitate to try more of their offerings.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a crystal orange amber with a large, pillowy and firm pure white head.

Nose is all perfumed fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is crisp and medium to full bodied, although the carbonation is a bit to assertively "fizzy" for my liking and is quite off-putting for me.

Flavors are layered and complex. Lots of burnt toast and bitter coffee; big bitter pine and resin. Front palate is lots of oranges and citrus that goes to bitter pine and grapefruit oil.

Finish is long lasting bitter pine and lime.

Some will surely like this one for its nice flavor profiles. Unfortunately, this is one of the few brews I've tasted where the mouthfeel simply ruined it for me.

3.52/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Best by August 2016, so I may not be completely fair on this here.

The body is hazy orange-honey colored, with a towering head of 3 fingers, leaving TONS of good lace behind. Some hop sediment floating.

Lots of caramel and old hop aromas, so yeah this isn't starting off too great. Light pine behind that.

Flavor is better regardless of the old hop. Citrus, melon, pine. The spoiled hop does rest on the palate heavily at the end though.

Feel is thick and creamy, ever so slightly resinous. Very good here.

Overall, if I can get my hands on a fresh sample I may revise this review. I can't help but think that what I've got in my glass is totally unfair for me to diss on. I upped everything by a quarter point over my impressions to make up for it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good try at IPA but after drinking stone enjoy by.... carton boat and other big beers, the hops here seem very muted and not as pronounced. I was expecting a bigger punch, and for 11.00 a bottle I was let down.

3.52/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alpine brews are new to my town, and I was anxious to try them. Of the three I tried at the release party, this was favorite. A quite nice IPA, and one I'll enjoy again.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Version. From the Duets I've had in the past, the hop element did not shine through as much. Plenty of Amarillo (in the nose), light pine (in the nose). Taste, faint pine, almost muted, but heavily bitter. I was a bit taken back by the bitterness on this one. I love bitter, but balanced, I didn't find the balance in this one.

Duet from Alpine Beer Company