Nelson | Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Ratings: 4,075 |  Reviews: 825
2.75/5  rDev -37.2%

2.81/5  rDev -35.8%

Smooth easy drinking ipa a good after taste

2.98/5  rDev -32%

Purchased at the "best damn beer shop" in san diego california on vacation with my girlfriend. she spend a semester in new zealand and since something about this bomber had to do with NZ I was pressured into getting it.. it wasnt that bad but I was not all that impressed. Its a golden ipa rendering it a bit less hoppy with a lower IBU than I would prefer.. still not a bad beer by any means. Poured a copper color with a minimal head..very basic almost bland appearance. Upon the first sip I got a lot of grapefruit and burnt sugar...a bit of coriander comes to the nose which is a pleasant suprise. This beer is very crisp and slightly complex..it seems as though a ton of flavor is rather non-existent but still has some of those citrus tones I previously mentioned...the flavor just kind of dissipates the more you drink it.

2.99/5  rDev -31.7%

Diacetyl

3.01/5  rDev -31.3%

I am not a fan of onion in my IPA's.

3.08/5  rDev -29.7%

3.08/5  rDev -29.7%

3.09/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a Mikasa tulip from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear straw color with two fingers of fluffy white head that sticks around for awhile and leaves tons of lacing. Very aggressive pour. You can see lots of tiny bubbles dancing up the glass to the nice crown that seems to be sticking around.

Smell is citrus, tangerine and pineapple, with some earthy pine in the background. The smell is somewhat faint and you really have to work to pick up the different components. Smells nice but should be stronger.

The smell is the opposite of the taste, lots of earthy pine upfront with some faint citrus grapefruit and pineapple in the background. The finish is of more bitter pine and earthiness. Was hoping for more citrus, but still not bad. I just expected a different flavor from the nose.

The mouthfeel is thin but not watery, and the carbonation is lively. It is easy to drink and pretty refreshing.

Overall this is not a bad beer, but it not great either. Expected more citrus than what was delivered. I would drink it again and reccommend that others try it as well. Slightly above average.

3.12/5  rDev -28.8%

Huge thanks to BeerFMAndy for another Alpine beer procured on his trip out west.

Bottle split and poured into my tulip the beer is golden yellow with a slight orange tint. Two fingers of off white head settle leaving spotty lace.

The aroma is mostly citrus hops. However there are a few components that perplex me. I pick out an off putting burnt rubber smell and a bit of onion. It also seems a touch skunky.

The flavor is much better than the nose. Citrus like hops are the main thing I pick up. A slight grassiness and a bit of the burnt rubber is there again.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall a bit of a dissapointment. Expo and duet were quite good. Their brother nelson not so much. Maybe another bottle someday will change my mind.

3.17/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nelson pours a really nice golden color with a fluffy head. Head reduces quickly but holds on for dear life leaving an eighth of an inch of smallish bubbles on top.

Smell is...green onions and dandelion. Oh no...

Taste is...onion and dandelion.

Mouthfeel is thin but a bit better than Duet.

I am utterly confused by my first experience with Alpine. Both Duet and Nelson have been, well...just ok. Maybe I was expecting too much but there are so many others I prefer it puzzles me. Really glad I got to try them but I wouldn't go out of my way to have then again.

3.19/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at City Tap House Logan in Philly. Served in your basic pint glass. Very little character from the servers, which reflected on my love of this beer. I've had other Alpine's and LOVED them! Again, environment has a lot to do with perceived taste. I hope to have another somewhere else so I can edit my review.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company