Nelson | Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 824 | Ratings: 4,063
4.42/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks like a wheat beer/hefe. Smells like mary jane. Real smooth with a not too bad bitter linger, Taste is not over powering, but real drinkable. Overall another solid beer from Alpine!!

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into a snifter. Hazy golden in appearance with moderate translusence. Big ol' pillow head of white foam on top. Looks nice. Big aroma of hop resin, citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, and a touch of rye spice. The taste is very citrus and rye/malt forward. A very nice hop bitterness creeps in middleways and takes the wheel, leaving this beer to finish like a true West Coast IPA. The feel is very, very smooth and creamy, possibly the smoothest IPA I've ever had.

This is very good. I've passed this up on the shelf before because of the price, but it's worth it once in a while.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Alpine Nelso was provided to me via trade courtesy of tbase. This is a really interesting IPA! The Nelson Sauvin hops used in the brewing of this beer really adds a fresh vinous, fruity aspect to this otherwise solid IPA. Without the interesting hops I think this a pretty typical IPA, in fact it reminds a lot of hill farmstead citra which I thought was pretty good but Nelson really has it going on. The bitterness in this beer is slightly subdued but i like that because it helps you really taste and smell the Nelson Sauvin. The rye also contributes a nice earthy spiciness helps keep the beer grounded. If possible get a hold of this beer, even if you have to pay ridiculous shipping for it. It's worth it!

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm having a Nicholas Cage moment in Leaving Las Vegas. While I'm not on a bender destined to succumb myself in alcohol poisoning, each sip of this magnificent beer has me calling out for a nurse. I'm worried my neighbors may think I've gone mad. I don't even know where to begin, it's so unbelievable. First off, the pour on Nelson is beyond reproach; only rivaled by Heady Topper. Brilliant orange, super cloudy, spotty lacing. Very excellent head retention. The nose has hints of white wine from the use of Nelson Sauvin hops, and is backed by tons of citrus. Taste follows with grapefruit and pineapple. So freaking balanced I can barely stand it, as if that isn't an oxymoron in itself. The mouthfeel is creamy as ever, and I can't stop smacking my lips. I never thought I would enjoy a rye IPA so much. This is a world-class, must try beer, especially for people like me, who primarily drink IPAs. Those who have access to this on a regular basis should consider themselves extremely lucky. Hard to find a flaw. JUST WOW!

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased at City Beer Store (yep! NorCal! You rule Craig/Beth!)

Pours a very lightly hazy pale yellow with a surprisingly short white head. Very soft with decent retention for such a weak stack. A lot of nice soft lacing sticks around though, for an overall pretty decent appearance.

Aroma is explosive and nice. This smells very fresh. Really dank with a lot of that almost-skunky intoxicating smell you get from a really fresh IPA. A good thing. Cannabis, pine and pineapple.

Taste is really nice and fresh as well--The first thing I notice is the massive fruitiness. A whole lot of peach/apricot flavors that I don't typically see in the style, with a nice wallop of pine and bitter grapefruit. A slight boozy heat on the finish that dries things out a touch. Bitter. Great stuff.

Effervescent with nice tight bubbles and a slight boozy heat. Somewhat oily.

Crazy drinkable; really delicious and goes down easy.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Big thanks to realmpel for the bottle!

Golden yellow pour. Somewhat small white head retains pretty well. Some really nice lacing on the glass.

First thing I smell when I pop the cap is spicy rye. Once Nelson is in the glass, I smell all kinds of delicious fresh hop aromas...grapefruit, orange, pineapple. A little grassy, with some white grape in there, too.

Well, the rye flavor isn't nearly as big as the aroma...which works just fine for me, because it adds a tasty dimension to the flavor without being overpoweringly spicy. Nelson is one of the more interesting IPA's I've tasted. Tons of citric hop flavor, without really being very bitter at all. The citrus/white grape/grass is a really, really interesting flavor combination. Nice spicy finish.

Medium bodied, with an appropriate carbonation level. No hint of ABV. This has scary drinkability. After having Duet not too long ago, I feel like I need to try the entire Alpine lineup. They certainly know how to make a drinkable IPA. Very good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to breaks808 for the bottle. Cheers!

Light orange color with light haze. Awesome rocky white head, long-lasting and leaving a dense curtain of lace.

Grapefruit aroma nicely balanced and supported by bready malts and a bit of a rustic, spicy character that must be due to the rye.

Citrus and tropical hops - papaya and orange, grapefruit - all blend beautifully and with the smooth mouthfeel contribute to a very juicy character. Bready malts add some body to the mix but the emphasis is on the fruity hop characters. Spicy, lightly bitter finish.

Big flavors but well balanced and light on its feet. Nelson proves that a big American IPA doesn't have to be clunky. A pretty beer through and through.

Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz bottle from Hamilton23. Thanks!

A: Brackish topaz with a whisp of head. Looks very still and serene.

N: Lime, ruby grapefruit, fresh cut grass clippings. Hints of conifer. Hops overshadow any malt in a good way. There is some biscuit/cracker, and I can follow the nose to some significant mango flavors.

T: Tropical to start, as with Pure Hoppiness, but this has a two tier effect that begins with the mango, grapefruit, pineapple and transitions into the cracker/bread and piney base. There's a significant amount of bitterness to this which is made all the more prominent by the zest and spice of the rye.

M: Dry, medium mouthfeel. Really cuts through the palate.

O: A very good IPA with an incredible bitterness that's well integrated into the whole. Drink and enjoy; Alpine is doing great work

4.07/5  rDev -7.1%

Hazy golden body with a huge froth monster of a head. Almost looks like a hefe.

Nose is spicy-sharp citrus. There's an almost vegetal spiciness contribution from the rye. Love it!

Flavor is a study in contrasts. Smooth up front, sharp on the finish. Light on the palate, but with solid rye and hops all over. Not quite as hoppy as I expected, but really a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. For impact on the palate, this drinks more like a blonde than an IPA.

Hard to believe this is 7.1% It's almost quaffable. Really a good brew.

My first from Alpine. Duet is in the fridge and Exponential Hoppiness is on the way! Thanks to nogidrew63 for the trade on this one.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to DeathVader, 22oz bomber to Stone IPA glass.
Pours a deep straw yellow with a great 3-inch white head. Leaves tons of thick lacing that dissipates gradually over the course of the drink but I prefer a bit darker IPA with better clarity.

Smell is amazing, not strong, but the grapefruit, pineapple and orange scents are divine.

White wine characteristics are noticeable, juicy, juicy hops, some pine, lots of grapefruit, similar to Sculpin but with, in my opinion, a greater complexity of flavor and Nelson Sauvin hop bitterness is really great.

Carbonation is pretty low, and the almost creamy mouthfeel is a bit weird for me for an IPA.

Overall, this is a very good IPA with the mouthfeel the only drawback for me, but I would love to be able to drink this beer more often.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-pours a straw yellow with a dense bright white head that lasts forever and leaves some lacing

S-tropical fruits and a slight hint of pine when first poured-as it opens the nose becomes more dank

T-tropical with just maybe the slightest hint of pine in the end-very hoppy and bitter for a standard IPA. A little dank as it opens and a slight malt backbone. There is a slight white wine characteristic to it. It is not incredibly complex just a hoppy west coast style IPA. I didn't notice the rye as much as I had hoped.

M-Pretty thick, but has a good level of carbonation

D-This is a pretty big IPA given the bitterness and alcohol content for the style. I couldn't drink more than this one bomber in a sitting.

Overall, this i is a very good beer. I don't know if I would say it is great, but it is a classic representation of the west coast style. I am glad I was able to try it, but I do not see myself buying a bomber again because I can get IPAs I enjoy as much, if not more, for a better price. Truly a must try for lovers of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

So worth doing. Very spiced a every delicious. Worth thetrip for this beer. Hope for days and so much fruity character. Not very dry. The sweetness makes it better because it isn't very bitter.

4.82/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer looks stunning, like liquid sunshine in the glass. The nose is sumptuous with Sticky citrus notes of tangerine and grapefruit. The rye adds a dry backbone that is perfect complement to the juicy, tropical sweetness of the hops. This beer is perfectly integrated and balanced. As good as IPAs get. This is a treat.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a cloudy copper color with a 1-finger white head that quickly dissipates. Moderate layered lacing.

The smell is strong of grapefruit and oranges along with coriander and a little bready malt. The taste is grapefruit and herbal hops, peppery with some caramel and bready malts. Mouthfeel is crisp, medium-bodied, and slightly sticky.

This is a drinkable IPA. Don't expect a hop bomb; just a citrusy, smooth brew.

4.21/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: hazy yellow. Poured on tap. Not much head

S: oniony garlic, pineapple, dank mango

T: sharp pineapple, mango, oniony garlic hops. Super juicy. Some strawberries. Very nice bitterness. Juicy again

M: medium. Perfect carbonation

O: worthy of the praise. Extremely well balanced ipa.

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Got in the NOOb BIF from psiweaver...thanks again!

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my tall Allagash snifter/chalice glass. Pours a pale golden color with a massive frothy head, and excelent retention! Huge white froth leaves loads of sticky and full lacing.

Aroma is good, but not my favorite IPA. Full of hops and mild light fruit.

Flavor is fruity...along with the hop bite. Big grapefruit taste, and lasting dryness in the finish. Slightly creamy mouth, but crisp none-the-less in the sence of refreshing! Big carbonation, and low booze in the flavor. A very good IPA!

4.26/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Im not much of a hop guy but I found this beer extremely enjoyable. The hop aroma and flavor were very crisp and fresh and the taste was good without being over the top bitter.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Tried this on tap at the brewery 2 days ago and now enjoying it from a 22 oz. bomber.

A - Dark golden to light amber with a fluffy white one finger head. Tiny bubbles throughout.

S - It smells great. Very fresh hop smells and some sweet citrus smells as well.

T - Hops are very nice and flavorful but not overpowering at all. Nice fresh grass taste with a grapefruit aftertaste.

M - Very nice and smooth and creamy and light.

O - Great IPA with alot of complexity to it. Very easy to drink and super tasty. This beer makes me wish I lived closer to Alpine.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap and apparently a keg from Alpine, not Green Flash.

Gorgeous straw colored ale with fluffy head. Nelson Sauvin hops are interesting and it's nice to have a showcase for the hop in a world-class beer like this. Rye malt provides good balance, bu t this one is all about the hops baby. I liked this one more than Duet, which I wasn't expecting at all.

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale yellow gold with a thin white head. Lacing left on the glass looks like layers of sediment or rock in a cross section. Thin yeast residue left at the bottom of the bottle. Piney, woodsy, earthy hops aroma, as well as citrus and floral aromas. A little twinge of tart light bread also, like it's baking in the oven (read: yeast). Taste starts out very piney, like some spruce tips were used in the making of this beer. Very mild malt, but rye is there and unmistakable, which makes it tart and acidic. Bitterness comes in like the tide taking over your taste buds without you noticing. Tangy yeast comes out with time. A bit acidic in feel, but easily drinkable. dry finish.

I've been waiting for months to try an Alpine Brewing IPA, and I am not disappointed. I was worried when I saw that the only one left on the shelf was a Rye IPA, but Alpine really balanced the rye flavors well. A bit tangy due to the rye and hop oil, it was surprisingly smooth. I drank the bomber by myself and only noticed the acidity halfway through. It was never a problem though, more of an enduring characteristic. I would love to try this on tap!

Thanks David. I may move to SD for the sole purpose of drinking bombers of this beer on the regular.

Hazing yellow, odd for an IPA. Tropical/grapefruit, white wine, herbal & floral on the nose. Beautiful aroma. Massive tropical fruit and white wine on the taste, the spice of the rye pulls the finish dry and leaves you wanting another sip. Soft carbonation and minimal lacing on the glass. Remarkable beer, unique and simply the best. Nelson transcends the IPA style.

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Worth the hype. Happened across this while on a trip to San Francisco - on tap at Hogwash. This is a stand out among IPAs. Beautifully cloudy orange color, dank fruity smell and a mouthful of citrusy hops with a hint of rye. Very drinkable... just wish I could get this in Chicago!

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good IPA. Not sure if I would describe it as a world beater, but I would definitely buy again. It's a little more bitter then I prefer, but I assume that must be th characteristics of the Nelson Sauvin hops. Has a definitely tropical, grapefruit taste going for it.

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

A: a hazy golden yellow, with a thin white lace head.

S: Pineapple, mango, melon, and other tropical aromas.

T: Very piney, with a small spicy flavor. Ends with the mango and hop flavors.

M: medium bodied that lightly coats the tongue.

O: Very good IPA. I am glad I was able to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nelson Sauvin is one of my favorite hops, as you can tel by my avatar. I was looking forward to trying Alpine Nelson for quite some time. I finally got a couple of fresh bottles in a trade and I have to say, I was a bit let down. It must be that I am spoiled living here in New England, but it does not stack up to the heavy hitters over here. 5 years ago this was considered world class. Today, not so much.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company