Nelson | Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 820 | Ratings: 4,009
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, grapefruit and orange citrus hops. In the taste, dry small citrus hops, dry small fruit notes, and a nice dry malt with a hint of rye. A hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry rye and hop aftertaste. Nice rye and big hops, simply remarkable.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Wow, do I have a new favorite IPA?

Very light in appearance, it almost glows.
Clear Citrus and Mango notes predominate the nose.
Hop notes sweeter than I've ever experienced in anything this light. Delicate, frothy, small bubble carbonation.
Light, crisp, refreshing.

I LOVE this IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

So worth doing. Very spiced a every delicious. Worth thetrip for this beer. Hope for days and so much fruity character. Not very dry. The sweetness makes it better because it isn't very bitter.

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is by far one of the best IPAs ive ever had. Pours a beautiful thick and creamy yellow into a sniffer with 1/2 in of white cloudy head. The lacing is soild and stays around. The smell of Pine and citrus fills the nose as if i stepped outta a cabin in the woods. This beer puts me in a whole other world when i drink it. And the taste... hoppy, citra, earthy and woodie. Overall amazing taste! This beer has you feeling as if your in the cabins walking out to take on the day, with the smell of pines everywhere and last nights camp fire still on your closes. This is one i will definitely be picking up again when i make it down to Alpine Beer co again.

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Consumed 10/25/10 Sent by Rock4sc96 thanks Chris!

Poured into an Alchemist Brewery pint glass.
I've been extremely excited to try this beer; not only have I heard good things about the Nelson Sauvin hops, but I have sought out Alpine's highly regarded IPAs for some time.

A: Pours a hazy sunshine yellow with a thick white head. Dissipates fairly quickly but leaves a white collar.

S: Perfect, perfect, perfect! Oh lord, I could smell this beer as I was pouring it. I can smell it right now, as it sits to my left while I type this. HUGE aromatic hops, citrus, tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, delicious.

T: Oh lord, this has RYE in it too? One of my favorite beers is Terrapin's Rye Pale ale, along with Founders Red Rye and Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. I love hoppy Rye IPAs, and this is now up in the big leagues with them. Delicious creamy malt starts it off, then a blend of spice from the rye and citrus blast from fresh hops finishes.

F: If you've read my other reviews, you know how I like my IPA mouthfeel. This is perfect. Prickle from the carbonation, but a smooth creaminess that denotes a fine balance.

D: No alcohol detected, and such a complex IPA you want more. A lot more. I love it.

Alpine, you've wowed me once again. I will seek you out soon.

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm enjoying a bomber of this bought here in the Bay Area. Haters be damned, GF has expanded access to something I would not have been able to try unless I made a trip to San Diego. L: Cloudy yellowish -amber. Huge creamy head. S: amazing. Earthy hops, slight rye, lemon spice. T: incomprehensible balance of bitter and earthy hops, rye spice, lemon and grassy flavors. F: super rich for a single IPA. Very impressive. O: Fcking great. I can't imagine the source beer improving on this bottle, but hey if it's even more fantastic than this...whatever I'm not visiting Alpine. I'll certainly buy more of these bottles though. Even at $8.99.

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Yes to this! Nelson pours a golden-straw color with a sharp citrusy hop aroma. It’s bitter and drying at the end, and I couldn’t get enough of it. (Yes, it’s a highly hyped beer and yes, it lived up to that hype.) I want another.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

This feels like a refined and mature IPA. There is a solid malt foundation supporting the hops, and adding rye to an IPA is a brilliant idea. It smells similar to a double IPA, a lot of malt and some spiciness. This beer does not smell as hoppy as I initially assumed, the bitterness is there but not overdone. Once it hits your tongue, youre not bombarded with bitterness. It's a big beer and balanced well. Plenty of carbonation and a nice finish. Also, if you live in San Diego, it's not that expensive.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap at the Bistro's IPA fest last saturday. All New Zealand hops, not sure of the variety used.

Very unqiue. Bright yellow and hazy, almost like a hefe; reminds me of sunsine in a glass. Unfiltered with a capitol "U." I love it because it's a totally different color than any other of the 50 IPA's here today.

Taste/smell is awesome. The hoppiest beer I had that day, but let me explain: not bitter hoppy, rather they captured the essence of the hops more than any other beer I've had. Really really citrusy, with lots of grapefruit, but also lemon zest and kiwis (sorry!) with some pine (more like fir) and white pepper too. 65 IBU's and really smooth, with a relaxing, enjoyable bitterness that shares the aftertaste with the pungent fruits which hit you in the sinuses. Not british tasting hops, not over-the-top bitter US hops, but a totally different vibe that I'm having trouble describing.

Body is almost like a wit beer. Very pale rye must have been used for this to turn out so bright colored and smooth. For contrast, BR's Hop Rod Rye is dark red/brown and has a heavy malt body.

A great drink that really stands out, both for the grains and the hops used. Good luck finding this one, but do not pass it up!

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle, says it is 7.0%abv.

I flipped over Alpine's Duet so I'm anxious to give this one a go. Purchased from South Bay Drugs & Liquors and shipped quickly to me by Joey. Thanks you, sir!

A hazy light golden colour, I get a 1 finger head of foam with some good lacing. It doesn't look spectacular though I *do* like brews with a bit of haze in them, for the most part.

The smell nearly knocked me on my arse with the huge grapefruit hoppiness.(a good thing;) I get some tropical fruitiness as well and some serious spice eminating from the use of rye. I don't think I smell any real malt character other than a really really faint sweet note. No probs.

The taste is big grapefruit and the spicy rye flavours up front and in my mouth. Ha, betchya thought I was going to say face. lol.

The bitterness is very big but there's *something* there to hold it back enough for me say it isn't over the top. I guess the rye mixed in with some fruity tones and a mild malt sweetness is doing *that* job and they deserve a damn raise. Especially the rye. The more I sip, the more flavourful it gets and the finish, though bitter, may be the highlight of the session. Me hearts this brew. I'll go ahead and say it...Nelson Sauvin hops from NZ rule!

Medium bodied, carbo is just a tad below medium, I'm thinking this has a great, smooth feel to it.

Drinkability? A pretty average abv for the style these days is a major plus. Easily, one of the best and most drinkable American IPAs on the planet. Super thumbs up!

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured a yellow/orangish color with one finger of foamy white head. Smell is citrus and pine all over leaving you to believe this will be a hop bomb. The taste is not as bitter as you'd think from the smell. You definitely get citrus, probably grapefruit, and a piney flavor followed by a little bitterness. All of this is smoothed out by the European malt like the label says. The mouthfeel is exactly what you'd want from an IPA, good carbonation with a slight creaminess. I love finding Alpine beers out here in Missouri, hopefully the trend continues.

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Another lovely Cali bomber gathered from teh internets.

Appearance - Copper-hued brew with a fluffy mound of virgin white head. Lovely...

Smell - To me, this smells uncannily like an english muffin with butter and orange marmalade...

Taste - Much less of the sweet citrus, more bitter rind. Again with the buttered bread. Spicy rye toward the back end along with some grassy, vegetal taste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a tasty beer! My experience with rye beers is limited, as is with the Nelson Sauvin hop varietal, and I have to say this beer has piqued my curiosity in both. The beer seemed to disappear as if by magic. So well rounded, with flavors that are completely foreign to me (The buttered bread, I'm telling you!).

I found this to be a very exciting and supremely drinkable brew. The fact that Alpine doesn't distribute in my state is unfortunate as this could have easily become one of my go-to beers...

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Worth the hype. Happened across this while on a trip to San Francisco - on tap at Hogwash. This is a stand out among IPAs. Beautifully cloudy orange color, dank fruity smell and a mouthful of citrusy hops with a hint of rye. Very drinkable... just wish I could get this in Chicago!

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A bright gold that is color and foamy white head poured.smells of dank,mango,honey,crisp bell pepper....so much going on on the taste profile due to the rye and unique hops.honey,mango,bell pepper,black pepper a little bit of lime,a touch almost garlic funk. I'm giving the taste a 5 doesn't get too much better for a rye ipa,I'm definitely not one to just hand 5's out but lord it's a tasty,spicy,zesty ipa.mouthfeel isn't light,drinks like a big double ipa.

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden color with a 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention is very good. Lacing is excellent. Has a nice, fresh, juicy citrus aroma with some piney resin at the end. I wish there was cologne that smells like this! Taste is a big, juicy citrus bomb. Nice piney resin at the end. Moderate astringency. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. So glad this beer came to Texas and hope we get it in a 6 pack soon. This is great!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours straw gold with a slight haze under a sticky 1” foam cap that quickly recedes to a thick film.

S: An aromatic blend of hop aromas including citrus, grapefruit, fruit, and a hint of white wine lightly spiced with rye.

T: Rich malts, grapefruit and a bit of white wine lead a palate that finished with an assertive yet pleasant hop bitterness. Has a solid malt backbone with traces of rye and light malty sweetness. Well balanced with medium malt, hop flavors and bitterness.

F: Very creamy, medium body and carbonation. The carbonation is very soft.

O: A flavorful, well balanced beer.

Bottle pour.......

A - Perfect orange color, nice sticky lace retention

S - White wine, delicious green apples, grapes, hint of grass on the end

T - Much of the same as the nose except you get a strong orange grapefruit flavor to start with a nice bitter bite on the finish

M - Medium feel medium carb, bitter on the palate

O - Nelson Sauvin hops are amazing. Super complex, as you get a lot of citrus, grapes and some grassy pine on the finish. This is excellent!

Green Flash bottle best by 21 Mar 2016

A: poured into an IPA glass to a hazed light orange with a dense one finger tan head that retains well and leaves great lacing
S: smells extremely dank with notes of resinous hops with some citrusy notes and rye spice with some malt sweetness
T: taste is grapefruit and resinous pine with some light tropical fruit and grapefruit rind with some light caramel sweetness and spicy rye. Swallow is a nice blast of oily citrusy hops and grapefruit juice with some lingering spice
M: medium in body with soft and slightly prickly carbonation and a huge oily fiinish from the hops
O: Dank and resinous West Coast goodness in a bottle. Probably a benchmark for the style and easily one of the best I've ever had. If you see this and like IPAs you need to buy it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3 week old bottle from the brewery in Alpine.

Possibly the best single IPA I've had. Delicious, tropical flavors with a tiny bit of spice from the rye. The pale malt really allows the hops to shine. So smooth and drinkable.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a beautiful yellow orange. White fluffy head and tons of lacing.
Smell: the aroma is bursting with grapefruit and tropical fruits. A sweet bready malt is present on the nose.
Taste: follows the nose. Bursting with layers upon layers of tropical fruits, grapefruit, lemongrass, lemon pith, grapefruit rind, and the rye malt balances it all out. Sweet bready character. A spiciness is present too, leaving a lingering bitter character that is more crisp and dry. Maybe the juiciest and most flavorful ipa I've had. Comparable to fresh Pliny (which is a DIPA but the depth of flavor is second to none).
Feel: juicy, creamy, delicious mouthfeel. Slightly dry.
Overall: I was skeptical of the hype. I was convinced it was just hype. But the beer is actually stellar.

One of my last bottles.

Pours a crystal clear golden straw color into my glass with an abundant one and a half finger head that leaves sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. constant stream of bubbles stick in there as I continue the beer.

Smell is fantastic. Very fruity hop aroma. Grapefruit rind, tangerine and lemon. I also get a kick out of the rye in there. It seems to balance out the sweetness from the fruity Nelson hops.

Taste is great. I have to give it to the folks down at alpine. They know how to make a killer IPA. Big assault of hops on my palate to start it off. They follow suit with the smell. Big and fruity. Great malt backbone and a nice bite from the rye.

Leaves a touch of a drying quality in the mouth. otherwise this beer is gone in a matter of minutes.

I love me some Alpine. I would love them more if it was shorter than two hours to drive there for some more.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a world class American made beer.

A- A nice dirty dark blonde and very clear beer, very unusual considering the style. This thing is alive, obviously bottle conditioned, yeast floaties aplenty. Poured semi aggressively into a pint glass. Pours an impressive eggshell color 3 finger pillowy head with tons of retention. The head is reminiscent of Duvel... I'm impressed.

S- Citrusy, fruity, piny dank hops. This beer smells great. Definitely up there with some of the best IPAs available in terms of fragrance. Earthy rye and clean yeast are hidden somewhere amongst the dank hops.

T- Awesome. Slight bittering hops up front, followed by a TON of piney/ fruity hop flavor. I'm surprised that the rye didn't get lost amongst the hops but it shines threw at the end to help add to complexity and balance the lack of malts.

M- Amongst the best I've ever had. Chewy, thick, simply luxurious. A little bit more carbonation than I was expecting but it works well. This is probably the most memorable and unique quality of the beer, which is saying alot.

O- Excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- golden orange, small white half finger of head, a little little lacing, medium carbonation

S- Circus of citrus fruits. Orange, grapefruit, and a cider-like smell were up front. Definitely a little funk present that gives it a scent like a wine. Some grasses in the back.

T- Very juicy and dank. Fruity hop character from the Nelson and a touch of pine give way to sweet potato, rye, and an almost sour white wine character. Little spice in there too. Great depth of flavor for a single hop beer.

M- Medium bodied and wholesome, being a rye IPA. Decent amount of carbonation. Smooth drinker.

O- Outstanding beer. One of my favorite single hopped beers. Dig the dankness that mixes with a sweet and tangy smooth finish. Nelson should be a must on any beer advocates wish list. I just wish it was easier to obtain.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle, stamped best by June 2016, poured into IPA glass.

A: Beautiful golden color, pours clear but carbonation is so widespread and steady that it looks hazier in the glass than it actually is. Three-fingered head settles into a finger of pillowy foam, eventually subsides to about an 1/8" spread uniformly on top.

S: Passion/tropical fruit, white wine, bit of pine sap

T: Strong pine flavors, wine-like tartness, and then strong, sharp rye maltiness. Long, enjoyable finish.

M: Super silky body with plenty of carbonation.

O: Amazing. Wish I had bought more of this!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wowsers. Yeah this one is great. Pours a cloudy light orange. Smell is all juicy citrus. Taste follows through and more. All citrus and bright clean bitter. Almost no malt to get in the way. This is my kinda IPA. Probably shoulda given this a 5, maybe I will update if I catch this again another time. Updated to add that the rye is also a plus. Joseph James Citra rye similarly kills it, so maybe ima sucker for rye malt

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company