Nelson | Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 824 | Ratings: 4,055
4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Hazy, turbid burnt orange color, like a gem stone glowing in sunlight.
Smell is of sweet rye, and grapefruit.
Taste follows the nose, just much deeper and more satisfying.
Feel is spot on. A little bit of dryness and a little bit creamy.
Overall this is exceptional. The smell wasnt as great as the overall product, but who gives a shit. This is what a rye beer should be. No exceptions.

4.6/5  rDev +5%

Big thanks to John (pmarlowe) for sending this one a couple of thousand miles to me.

A - This is a homely old brew. Bizarre, dirty, murky golden coloring. Great looking head though - very much the same as Exponential Hoppiness. White and fluffy with solid retention and lacing.

S - Such a unique nose. Herbs, grass, rye, peppercorn, and other spices combine with a lightly fruity, juicy white wine hop profile.

T - Intriguing balance across light hop notes, more rye, soft bread, butter, white grapeskins, melon, more herbs, and honey-coated malts.

M - Medium-high carbonation. Somewhat creamy. Light-medium body. Dry finish.

D - Wonderfully creative. The balance the rye imparts with the distinct New Zealand hops makes this an easy standout for me. Reflecting on this brew a bit further, I realize that this is a pinnacle of differentiation in a style chock-full of generalized aromas and flavors. I've been drinking a ton of APA/IPA/DIPA's lately, and nothing has stood out as much as this one.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What used to be a world class IPA when brewed by Apine is now a shell of its former self now that Green Flash is brewing it. If I was given a blind taste test would never guess this is Nelson. Shocked at some of the positive reviews here on the new Green Flash version.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Growler from the brewery on release day. Gold with a lasting white head. Super green, dank, spicy, grape, and mango hop aroma. Awesome. Smells like no other IPA that I've had, yet is unquestionably one of the best hop aromas that I've ever come across. The flavor has a similar light toasty malt to their other IPAs, but with just a touch of rye spice. The hop flavor is all there, but is not too bitter at all, just very dank, fruity, and juicy. The body is on the light some with smooth carbonation. I know that this is at the peak of freshness, but damn this is amazing. Unique and just awesome all around.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a golden hazy straw color with a thick bubbly head that dissipates quickly leaving a medium amount of lacing along the glass, pretty solid in appearance.

Smell is very strange, but in a great way. Some kind of weird fruit aroma, almost like an orange dreamsickle, I cannot wait to try this. Very fruity floral aroma, like no other IPA I have ever smelled.

Wow, this beer is different. It tastes a little like an orange dreamsickle. Very citrus, almost like a clementine with some cream as well. Light malt backbone comes through as well, maybe a little to sweet. Very unique IPA, you can taste the rye in the finish, I like it.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, medium body with light carbonation.

Very interesting beer, drinkability does suffer from the sweetness though.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Second of the west coast IPA's. Another bottle from JesseTheHut.

22 ounce bomber poured into the SN tumbler. Label explains the use of New Zealand hops that are used in this.

The Nelson pours a hazy amber orange color. A nice frothy pure white head sits atop with very good lacing and retention. The color is much darker than other IPA's. Aromas are nice and sweet with citrus fruits popping out of a nice hop backbone. Also some hints of grains and caramel. Quaff is much different from other hoppy IPA's. Plenty of hops make up the taste but there is also some piny notes. Not much citrus in the mouth. Mouthfeel is well carbonated and medium bodied. Plenty of hops bounce around on the tongue. Drinkability is obviously high, ABV allows you to sip a couple and taste is right there. I am very excited to move onto the other IPA's from Alpine.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm having a Nicholas Cage moment in Leaving Las Vegas. While I'm not on a bender destined to succumb myself in alcohol poisoning, each sip of this magnificent beer has me calling out for a nurse. I'm worried my neighbors may think I've gone mad. I don't even know where to begin, it's so unbelievable. First off, the pour on Nelson is beyond reproach; only rivaled by Heady Topper. Brilliant orange, super cloudy, spotty lacing. Very excellent head retention. The nose has hints of white wine from the use of Nelson Sauvin hops, and is backed by tons of citrus. Taste follows with grapefruit and pineapple. So freaking balanced I can barely stand it, as if that isn't an oxymoron in itself. The mouthfeel is creamy as ever, and I can't stop smacking my lips. I never thought I would enjoy a rye IPA so much. This is a world-class, must try beer, especially for people like me, who primarily drink IPAs. Those who have access to this on a regular basis should consider themselves extremely lucky. Hard to find a flaw. JUST WOW!

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Nice pop of the bomber, recent release picked up by a really swell local BA. Slight chill haze, white grapefruit juice without the pulp. Pretty darn clear golden orange, on the golden side. Fluffy white head in my Moonlight nonic. Lace immediately sticking to the sides while milky way bubbling settles in.

Stong aroma of passion fruit, young pine sap, tart citrus, dash of honey. Somewhat earthy yet very dynamic. Distinct rye smell...so nice.

Crostini cracker pop until the onslaught of hop power. Huge wave of piney grapefruit rind. Tart hop flavor, with a solid block of maltiness allowing the hop flavor to shine brightly. Slight chalky hop bite, and I like it. Dry, bitter hoppy mouthfeel with a twinge of citrus in the back. Lingering dryness.

Quite hearty & complex which continues to remind me, never judge a book by it's cover.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a gorgeous orange-golden color that is impenetrable to light. Showcases an antique whit head that dissipates quickly. The nose is glorious. Juicy grapefruit to the hilt! Mouthfeel is wet and a little cottony toward the finish. A lot of grapefruit up front. The rye expresses itself in the middle, followed by distinct pine flavor. This is a magnificent beer. I can't believe how good this is. I'm not a rye fan, but this is phenomenal.

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I would classify this beer in the category of "great American IPAs that I don't really love." While Green Flash's and Lagunitas' IPAs were the beers that turned me on to the style with their complex, juicy, yet gentle flavors, this one is more in the other direction. A hint of fruity flavors with a lot of bitter grapefruit basically drowning them all out, I'm not really sold on the Nelson Sauvin hop as an aromatic. Not a ton going on here, just a lot of bitter, rich hoppy resin.

Now the texture is a whole 'nother thing. Tons of foam, but it's thick and gritty like sea foam, not smooth and velvety like nitro head. Lots of resin and hop oils give a great, sticky texture that sticks around for a while into the dry, bitter finish. But overall, not a beer I need to go back for when I've found so many others I like. Oh well. Sorry to bring down the ratings, boys.

2.36/5  rDev -46.1%

On-tap at the brewpub in Alpine. Taster glass.

A - standard IPA coloring, maybe a bit lighter yellow. Some lacing and good retention.

S - Smells floral and a bit uninviting. Not sure how I feel about it, but I couldn't know the horrors to come.

T - Tastes just off. The rye flavor and yeast selection just makes for a blah taste. I didn't enjoy it one bit and couldn't finish the 4 oz taster. Not super bitter, but it did taste a little like i was eating a flower.

M - Mouthfeel was above average. Not that I could really notice through the flavor that I hated.

O - Didn't like it. Sorry guys, I feel like this one is WAY over rated.

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a fresh growler, pours a light orange-gold, slightly hazy and with a greenish tinge around the edges. Head is a solid 2 fingers, dense and white with very fine bubbles. Lasts a long time and never completely fades. Initial smell is dankness, mixed with an herbal spiciness. Also a bit of ripe fruit and something like sweet hay. Taste is spicy, earthy herbs. Finish is bitter grapefruit and lingering spice. Feel is an outstanding balance of pleasing smoothness offset by prickly carbonation. Killer IPA, very unique.

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

pours light golden with minimal head that dissipates quickly. smell of nelson suavin all the way I can't seem to place what im smelling w this hop. maybe some floral notes and lemon? anyway smells pretty nice. taste follows nose w the hop presenting itself from front pallate all the way to the end. rye gives this beer a nice spice at the finish with bitterness lingering. this is a great beer and I love nelson hops even though I can't quite place what im tasteing. seek out this one it's a def winner.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Bomber drink by 3/21/16. Pours pale and a bit hazy with a 1/2 finger head. Thin lacing down the sides. Nose is spicy and citrusy. Taste is like drinking grapefruit juice. There's also some smokiness on the back of the tongue, which is interesting. Finish is quite dry. The bitterness lingers. Feel is relatively light. Overall, a pretty good citrus forward IPA. However, I'd like to have a little more malt to balance the bitterness.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Light Amber color with a modest-sized white head that faded fairly quickly.

Smell: Primarily Piney hop aromas with some citrus fruits thrown in.

Taste:The pine aromas carry over to the taste, but I also get some grape-like and citrus notes. The rye adds a bit of spicy notes. I can't really pick up the malts in the taste. The finish ends with the grape notes, a bit of rye spiciness and mild citrus notes.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Overall: IPAs aren't really my thing but this is a good beer.

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm enjoying a bomber of this bought here in the Bay Area. Haters be damned, GF has expanded access to something I would not have been able to try unless I made a trip to San Diego. L: Cloudy yellowish -amber. Huge creamy head. S: amazing. Earthy hops, slight rye, lemon spice. T: incomprehensible balance of bitter and earthy hops, rye spice, lemon and grassy flavors. F: super rich for a single IPA. Very impressive. O: Fcking great. I can't imagine the source beer improving on this bottle, but hey if it's even more fantastic than this...whatever I'm not visiting Alpine. I'll certainly buy more of these bottles though. Even at $8.99.

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This an outstanding rye IPA. Nice and hoppy and yummy. This is a top tier selection and I will actively seek out this brewer again. Hard to find locally here in Ohio.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Golden yellow color with fine carbonation and a solid white head that slowly diminished for a good minute. A small amount of lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S - Citrus and floral notes abound but little to no resiny smell.

T - This tastes like awesome. There is a very nice clean balance between the malt and hop flavors with a mild bitterness. Aftertaste is not overbearing but a reasonable medley of biscuit and lingering hops.

M - Smooth and wet with most of the taste at the front of my tongue and a refreshed feeling in the aftertaste.

D - If this came in six packs I would have a new go-to summer beer. Alas, this will be one to look forward to the next time I visit California.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Gorgeous light golden orange with a nice bright white head. A little bit soapy, but full bodied enough to stick all over the glass.

S- Now that's an IPA! Super fruity, a faint hint of pine, some herbacious goodness.

T- Pineapple, mango, orange, with a sweetness that asserts itself without overwhelming. Super hoppy, super fruity, clean semi dry finish. Outstanding.

M- No complaints here in the least. Just enough carbonation to hold up to the intensely fruity flavors.

O- Great IPA in every way imaginable. Really happy I got to try one of these a day removed from the brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Acquired thanks to FreightTrain.

This one pours a nice golden color, vary clear, with a bit 2cm head, that's nice and sticky, leaving good lacing. A very nice looking IPA. The smell just reeks of pungent, floral, resinous hops. Almost skunky, but redeemed by a sweet fragrant, almost fruity, citrus peel smell. Really a lovely and complex hop these Nelsons are. I can get grapefruit and fresh grass clippings as well. It's like Centennial, but more pungent, I like this. The flavor continues with the smell, with grassy, piney, resinous hoppiness. The fruitiness is more apparent in the taste, with a kind of grassy mango taste, a tiny bit of sweet cantaloupe, and some bitter grapefruit as well. The malt is nice (as I've noticed with most of these Alpine beers), just to the right level to complement the hops, and very sticky, with nice yeast charcter. The beer finishes pretty dry with a slight leafy fruit taste. And the rye, well, you don't exactly taste it, as much as experience it. It add a huge, nice feeling to the body. The carbonation is lively, and makes the flavors burst very nicely as it sort of stings your mouth. And the alcohol lends a slight burn. This IPA strikes that perfect West Coast IPA balance (and I don't mean a 50-50 kind of balance, but a sort of established - in my mind - ratio of what to expect from a very hoppy IPA). My only complaint is that you can't drink as much of it as you would like, as the 7.1% starts to push it towards DIPA territory.

3.62/5  rDev -17.4%

this beverage came with a bit of reputation in the sd area, as many of the breweries visited informed us we'd be mistaken were we not to head over to alpine. when i arrived, they struggled to determine what order i should taste in, but were convinced i should finish with this unique beverage. the nelsons have an arrayed aroma and flavor, it was like having a bite of something colorful off of someone else's plate when they weren't watching and you didn't pay attention to what they ordered. playfully citrus with an angry spice contributed both by the hop and the rye. i'm not sure what to make of this beer, but i'd like more to try. it's kind've like a rhinocorn. i don't know if it's even real. a fun and spicy rye.p.a.

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: I like the color of this better than Duet, as it is a little bit more golden in color. It poured a

S: A pleasant smell, but not very intense. Mostly pine, with a bit of oranges. More malty than the other two Alpine IPAs at this tasting.

T: I liked that this was a fairly balanced taste, with definite hops up front, but some noticeable malt character as well. The rye comes through at the end, which is nice, but overall everything tasted just a bit watered down.

M: Pretty good, but a tad thin for my liking as I look for a bit more stickiness and aftertaste such as I found with Pure Hoppiness. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Better than Duet in my opinon, but not nearly as good as Pure Hoppiness. If this was available at a bar nearby, I'd give it a try again, but would not actively seek out another bottle. Too many better options that are easier to get in the Midwest.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Light golden with a small off white head
S: Wow, grapefruit.
T: Lots of grapefruit, a tiny background of sweet grainy malts, I do not detect anything distinct from the rye
M: Incredibly smooth with little hop astringency, but plenty of hop character.
O: This is now one of my favorite IPAs, this is an IPA for a non IPA fan.

Look: Crystal clear straw gold with a thick white head. Good lacing and lots of legs.

Smell: Pungent citrus and rye spicy notes make this one amazing smelling beer. Getting white grapes, white pepper, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, a hint of farmhouse or straw funk, kiwi, all rounded out by a rye pepperyness. I wish they made air fresheners of this beer!

Taste: White grape and delicate white wine notes on the attack give way to tangerine, orange blossom, grapefruit hints, a hint of sweet malt, and rye comes out big on the finish to balance out the white wine notes. This beer really let's the nelson hops shine through and the rye plays a beautiful balancing game. The rye really brings the nelson hops to the for front without masking them as all. Nelson hops are too damn tasty!

Mouthfeel: Wet on the tongue while the rye adds a bit of bite and buzzes the tongue even furthering the nelson hops to the forefron.! Goes down wet and covers the mouth and throat. No hint of booze.

Overall: Outstanding brew. Too many times breweries don't let nelson hops roam on their own but alpine boldly goes where most are afraid and came back with one shining example how to make a nelson IPA ! Alpine is the pinnacle of IPAs in SD right now and this one delivers in spades! If your love nelson hops or want to try them out the right way get this beer

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A growler full of this love was given to me for Valentine's Day along with a growler of BP Victory at Sea....man am I lucky or what!?!

A- pours a clear golden yellow with a half inch foamy white head. Plenty of bubbles and streamers.

S- Like a hop soaked piece of rye bread.

T- Wow! Rye forward closely followed by a rye-hoppy punch. More of the floral than citrus hops. Think of hops sandwiched between some rye bread.

M- Smooth, crisp, great carbonation.

D- I f you like rye, and I do, this is an awesome beer. Think brewery meets jewish deli.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company