Good | Alpine Beer Company

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A dark, burnt orange in color. Thin, slightly creamy, off-white head. Looks a touch thick and viscous, but that is not surprising for the style and the known ABV. Leaves the glass spotted and oily.

A very hoppy American barleywine. Lots of pungent and toasted citrus zest in the aroma. Sweet tangerine caramel and syrup erupt. There's a bit of a pine and resin character as well. A touch of an alcohol presence. Quite stunning, really.

The flavor is similar to the aroma. This is a candied citrus (zest) monster, along with citrus syrup/caramel and an alcohol warmth, though not nearly as much as I'd expect from a 17% ABV. I truly can't believe the alcohol was that high, but Shawn (of Alpine) certainly didn't deny it. A big, beautiful, aromatic, yet ultimately, and most importantly, incredibly delicious, high ABV barleywine. Hoppy, sweet, aggressive, yet drinkable.

Full in body for the style, slightly sticky. Coating. Excellent.

Fantastic. This is as good as non barrel-aged barleywines can get, but this tastes like it was made for a barrel. It's going to be great!

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled at the Pizza Port Strong Ale Fest this past weekend. It was part of the VIP beers and it was just called Alpine Good Barleywine. Can't find anything on their website about it.

Pours a deep and dark amber with a slight head. A little on the murky side. Carbonation seems slight but present.

The nose is what sold me on this beer. I've never smelled a beer like this. The closest way I can describe it is it smells like when you walk into a jamba juice. Just a mixture of fresh blended fruit. Strange I know but it was uncanny. I doubt any real fruit was used it the BW, but god does it smell like it. Big citrus bouquet, plenty of great continental hops no doubt. But the smell, it's mesmerizing. Think I smelled this beer longer than I drank it, and at 17% there is no doubt I took my time.

Taste was not a let down. The strong fruit nose didn't transcend to the taste. Pick up on some of the grapefruit from the hops. A nice taste of vanilla and brown sugar. A hint of chocolate and caramel. You would think that there would be a major alcohol burn with this one if it really is 17%, but it's very mellow. Secondary to the other taste. I can only imagine it was aged for quite a while (cask, barrel?).

We kept talking about if we had a favorite beer from the Strong Ale fest, I kept coming back to this one. I'm very glad it was the second beer I had so I could fully enjoy. I wish I would have know the ABV before I put down two or three of these monsters though. Nevertheless, in a day of amazing beer this one really stood out. I would kill for some more.

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

6/11/2010

Dark orange with a small off white head. The nose is of caramel, toffee, and candied citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange. The flavor is moderately sweet toffee and caramel with that same candied grapefruit I detect in the nose. Alcohol is present but nicely integrated. The finish is sweet with lingering citrus and booze. The mouthfeel is full, sticky, and creamy and carbonation is low. With Good as a base beer, it's no wonder that Great is just that. Among the best American Barleywines I've tried. Delicious.

Good from Alpine Beer Company