Nickel Stout | Alpine Beer Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by OStrungT on 08-08-2007

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
4.03/5  rDev n/a

This beer is the Captains Stout aged in whiskey barrels with I believe two different types of cherries. It was named after Tom Nickel because he was the one that suggested brewing it. Thank you Tom.

This beer pours a jet black color with a thin, creamy tan head. The head fades slowly, leaving a good lacing.

The aromas of this beer are surprisingly subtle. I smell some whiskey aromas. A mils dour cherry aroma mixes in. Some oaky hints are also present. Also, I can detect a slight vanila aroma.

As with the aroma, the flavors in this beer are very subtle. Sour cherries up front, with a nice mild whiskey flavor. I taste the oak from the barrels also. A very slight vanila flavor is also present.

This beer goes down very smooth, leaving a slightly sour aftetaste, with a touch or whiskey. The carbonation is low, but well for the beer.

I think this beer would make a good session beer. The only problem I can see is that maybe the whiskey flavor would get old, but is it subtle enough to help prevent that from hapening.

Overall: I liked this beer, as I knew I would. I have never had anything from Alpine that was less than great.

Nickel Stout from Alpine Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.