Hoppy Birthday | Alpine Beer Company

Hoppy BirthdayHoppy Birthday

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American IPA

Truth is, everyone has a birthday. And when you want to celebrate, this Session IPA is a gift to the senses. Made with 6 different hops, this bold brew is refreshing enough to enjoy again and again. Now, make a wish and blow out the candles. But don’t tell anyone, or your wish won’t come true.

69 IBUs

Added by HopHead84 on 05-24-2010

Ratings: 2,830 |  Reviews: 486

2.1/5  rDev -50.7%

I only can think I had a bad pour. It was butter all the way. Awful.

2.55/5  rDev -40.1%

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -34.5%

Shared a growler with some Ba's at my house before DarkLordDay.
Served in a tulip pint.

It's a nice color, like a pretty standard pale ale/IPA. The bee is pretty hazy yellowish gold with a thick white head. Great retention... Good lacing.
So it looks great... Aaaand now we fall apart... Why does this smell like garlic? Oh, summit hops you say? Well I'm not a fan. They ruin this beer the summit hops. The other aromas are great- hiding under the garlic are intense notes of grapefruit and even pineapple. Light malt profile... This beer would be exceptional if it weren't for the garlic.

The body is medium-light with great carbonation and a decent bitter bite... The flavor would be very nice if it weren't for the summit!

Overall-- I'll pass on this one next time. Glad to have tried it!
4.5/3/2/4/3

2.82/5  rDev -33.8%

Maybe I am spoiled by living in New England. This offer from Alpine would be about #16 at my local 20 tap craft beer bar. The look of this beer reminds me of my youth. Very similar pour to Budweiser or miller. Clear with no head and some effervescent bubbles rising up. The flavor is fair. Little too much bitterness. No sense of hops on the palate. If I wasn't drinking Th Julius, Green etc. along with Trillium and NEBCO on a regular basis, maybe this west coast session would resonate higher, but it doesn't.

2.86/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.75] Beer has a clouded apricot appearance. It forms about 1/4 finger of white head with some irregular bubbles. The bottle lists the ABV (5.25%) and has a best by date of (07/12/2016). So it is slightly past prime - but I just got it.

S: [3.25] Musty caramel scent. Slight whiffs of lemon rind.

T: [2.50] Caramel, whites grapes, mild lemon rind. Generally flat in flavor overall. Also there is a metallic taste that lingers and intensifies as I drink it.

M: [3.00] Below medium body with lower carbonation. Both leading to a watery feel. The metallic taste is also visceral and leaves a weird feel too.

O: [2.75] This one is missing the mark all over the place. It is possible that freshness is an issue but it is 5 days past "best by" they made the number not me so they get no slack. The scent is not great and the taste is actually kind of bad - pretty disappointing. My first Alpine Beer Co. beer - I have one more in the fridge. Hoping they can redeem themselves.

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

Mostly floral hops on the nose, though the aroma was fairly faint to me. This was a pretty pedestrian session IPA, mostly citrus notes (grapefruit rind, orange) but watered down for the most part to make it easy-drinking. Fine for what it is

2.98/5  rDev -30%

Growler out at ol' 'Watcher's joint on a night that lead to my demise. I got about 2.5 tasters full of the stuff. I can't say that it was really a crowd favorite amongst the tasting group.

Appearance
This stuff has a nice color, as so often Alpine ales seem to have. Its a semi hazy honey yellow, crowned with a dense, sticky head.

Aroma
I'm not really a fan of Summit hops, and this stuff brings the Summit to its peak. Green onion, dense overgrowth, the banks of a summer creek and dashes of orange, pineapple and grapefruit.

Taste
The oniony stuff is strong. Someone kept saying this stuff was like liver and onions. Who ever it was was partly correct. Lots of greenery and wild flowers with lots of chive and green onion. Some pine and citrus come around too.

Mouthfeel
Not very dry, this beer is fairly smooth with a lighter body and a decent enough finish. I'd say this one has the structure for drinkablility down.

Overall
As I texted to Ryan011235 that I was drinking this my auto correct took over and I sent "Choppy Birthday". I stand by that moniker, I think its more accurate. I'm not sure why this one is rated so high... Oh yeah! Its a new Alpine tap only! Duh!

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

I've had this on tap back in the days when it was only Alpine and not done on Green Flash premises nor in a Green Flash bottle. But I do like that Alpine is starting to get around. The trio that is making the rounds consists of Duet, Nelson, Hoppy Birthday. If you haven't seen them yet, they'll be around soon enough.

I was able to buy this one at my local craft beer shop in LA and was stoked! Nelson is my personal favorite beer and everything Alpine does is top notch. That being said, after trying this (in a Green Flash bottle), I was severely disappointed. Aroma was way off, almost skunky. The taste tailed right off the aroma. Not what I remember from having it on tap just a year ago when it smelled fresh and hoppy and tasted great. It used to be a pale ale, now marketed as a session ipa because that's a big thing these days. The Green Flash version is a pure fail compared to what it can and should be.

3.06/5  rDev -28.2%

Big piney head, quite hoppy for a pale.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Green Flash Bomber. Best by 3/18/16. Guessing that means it’s a month old. Just showed up in Chicago 4 days ago. So decently fresh. Pour is golden orange. Aroma is hops. Not hoppy. Straight hops. On the super dank pine end of the spectrum. Taste is intensely bitter hops. It really tastes like licking the inside of a picked off the vine fresh hops. A lupulin smoothie. Completely out of balance and lacking any malt. Too much hops for such a light beer. This thing is a damn lupulin smoothie.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Just straight hops and nothing to balance. Hoppiest beer I've ever had and that isn't a compliment. Extremely bitter.

3.24/5  rDev -23.9%