Token Bourbon Barrel Aged

3.25 | pDev: 27.38%
From:
Alpine Beer Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Oct 02, 2012
jmarsh123 from Indiana

2.08/5  rDev -36%

Pours dark brown/black with a big creamy beige head and lots of bubbles.

Some sweet malt, vanilla, oak and a touch of booze present on the nose. Dark fruits and a touch of sourness.

Flavor is overpowered by the infection. Tart cherries and apple cider vinegar prevail. The porter flavors are completely lost and there is no bourbon presence.

Infection has made this one too thin bodied and way overcarbed.

I'd love to try a non-infected bottle. Sometimes I dig some sour flavors in porters, but this is definitely the bad kind of infection.

Oct 15, 2012
N17shelfside from California

4.02/5  rDev +23.7%

This review comes long after I drank this beer and I drank my stock of them as soon as I knew they were infected. I have to say the infection actually did some interesting things with this beer. The fresh version had been blended with regular token which already made it a watered Down version, but the infection brought out some interesting favors to go with the bourbon. This has led to my interest in a rare style of Brett bourbon aged beers like some anchorage offerings that I think purposefully carry this style off really well, even if alpine didn't mean it.

May 25, 2014
Arbitrator from California

2.12/5  rDev -34.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, John.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a suprisingly effervescent tan head, rising to 2" in height and sticking around a while.

S: Chocolate, butter (diacetyl), oak, vanilla. Mild roast. There's a touch of lactic aroma, but remembering that from the base beer, I am not too concerned. Not much barrel character aside from the oak and vanilla.

T: Bittersweet cocoa, mild coffee. Fairly buttery, and it doesn't make the beer awful, but it certainly takes quite a bit away from its potential. Butterscotch could even work for this flavor profile in some balance. But it missed that mark by quite a bit. Mild lactic sweetness on the end, just as it had in the base beer. I have a hard time picking out any bourbon, but vanilla and oak are noticeable.

M: Light-medium bodied. Very carbonated. The bubbles, as well as the off flavors and the lactic finish, could hint at infection. But given how the base beer tastes, I'm reluctant to make that call this early in the game. It's definitely an 'off' beer, though.

O: I normally love Alpine, but their diacetyl problems are an issue, and the beer lacks any significant barrel character. I like the base better.

Oct 29, 2011
wethorseblanket from California

3.25/5  rDev 0%

Dec 06, 2014
shufon from New York

Nov 15, 2011
unseenbyyou from California

4.97/5  rDev +52.9%

Shared this with my brother in law on Saturday night...poured in a tulip served cold, but warmed as it sat out.

Beer of the year so far for me (and yes abacus and black butte 23 were a close second and third)

Divine beer! This is what barrel aging is supposed to be like. Ready to drink right now. We walked into the brewery a few months ago and asked the owner if it was ready, he kept holding off until it got the right kind of smooth...and it was. He's got the sensibility to release when it is ready, rather than have people buy and hold on to a bottle for 2-3 years to get the proper taste.

Barely any wood noticeable. A good smokey chocolate presence throughout. Minimal carbonation. Smell blew me away from the beginning. Anyone looking to learn what a stout or porter should smell like...open up a barrel aged token if you're lucky. If not, I heard barrel aged odin's raven should be out within 2 months!

Barrel aged token is divine payback for having to put up with the traffic on Alpine Blvd.

Sep 05, 2011
pzymali from Illinois

Jan 01, 2012
nanobrew from California

SpdKilz from Illinois

3.9/5  rDev +20%

Thanks to both SDDanC and BdubleEdubleRUN for this beer (one more in the cellar). Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a dark brown, almost black color. About a finger of mocha colored head.

Smell – Slight bourbon, vanilla, quite realistic toffee, chocolate, and some buttery aromas oddly.

Taste – As much as I love Alpine, I feel this beer is a bit off. Not nearly as much bourbon as I was hoping. Some nice chocolate and vanilla flavors mixed in with a decent amount of buttery flavor that detracts from the beer. I get no tartness that some were describing though (thankfully). A hint of roasted bittersweet malt come sin at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, a hint thin, spot on carbonation.

Overall – A bit disappointing to be honest. A couple of the flavors were just off and I am struggling to finish this bomber.

Oct 10, 2011
ineva from California

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

Apr 04, 2012
AleWatcher from Illinois

1.98/5  rDev -39.1%

Bomber courtesy of Sideswipe-- big thanks John!
Served in a darkness snifter.

Some sweet malt, vanilla, and oaky bourbon notes are prominent but a hair overpowered by some dark fruit notes holding a hint of tartness.
Feels a bit thin-- but it is a porter so I can deal with the thinness. A lot more carbonation than necessary too.

Overall-- a fun one to try, but not worth what people were trading to land. It might be infected, which will lead me say that I'll re-review it when I try a future release-- but til then, this review stands because it was released like this.

EDIT-- after letting it warm up, I think it must be infected... Dark fruits, tart cherries, and apple cider vinegar probably weren't intended flavors. Also, the body is MUCH too thin and overcarbonated.

Mar 10, 2012
John11486 from California

stakem from Pennsylvania

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to BdubleEdubleRUN for hooking me up with this brew. Poured from a bomber into a snifter, this offering appears a dark color of brown that is about as close to black as you can get. A finger of frothy head swells up about a finger in strength that quickly dissolves to a lacing across the top that collects with a thicker strength around the edge of the glass. A light swirl revives the cap back to a half finger and places some spotting of lace on the glass. When held to the light, this brew displays an interesting deep ruby mahogany color that is transparent showcasing a polished clarity.

The first sniff of this brew brings forth immediate thoughts of creme brulee. It has a rich sweetness to the nose like caramel mixed with vanilla and a strong inclusion of butterscotch. Very rich smelling with a secondary focus a bit on coffee. As the brew warms up and breaths, a fruity sweetness like cherry is noted all across the back. This brew displays a very interesting nose, not exactly what I was expecting but it is enjoyable.

The taste of this brew is unexpectedly tart. The tartness flirts with almost being a type of lactic sourness that is somewhat lemon-like with a sour cherry quality as well. All the tartness hits hard upfront before the onset of a faint amount of the candied aspects that the aroma introduces. Light butterscotch, caramel and vanilla are all noted on the palate as well as a bit of raw oaked quality and some musty roasted grain meets coffee in the back that lingers into the aftertaste.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation that visually is lacking but is quick prickly inside the mouth. For 9.5% abv, the alcohol is fairly well hidden. This brew was a wild ride, it smelled almost sickeningly sweet with some nice touches of barrel aged quality yet tasted sharp and out of whack. The overall body was lacking a bit with too light of a feel for an imperialized porter. I don't like to be the one who screams infection but there is some tart character going on in this brew that I really don't think was intended. Based on the earlier reviews of this brew, I really wish I could have experienced that brew verse the one in my glass tonight.

Oct 30, 2011
Sean9689 from Illinois

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks, spycow! Poured into tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, tan-colored head, thin ring, spotty lace.

S - Where's the bourbon? Very fruity, buttery, molasses. No real roast, oak, chocolate, and the typical notes you get from an American Porter. As previously stated, the bourbon is basically nonexistent and everything else is overpowered by this weird fruity sweetness.

T - Sweet malty notes, the fruit is there as well, tart. Not much oak, chocolate, or roast. Disappointing.

M - Medium body, high(er) carbonation, dry finish.

O - Not what I was hoping from this one. The bourbon barrel must have changed this one for the worse...not sure what happened here. Anyway, not my cup 'o tea in the least. Can't recommend...the first time I've ever said this about an Alpine offering.

Oct 07, 2011
Rhettroactive from Pennsylvania

3.22/5  rDev -0.9%

From 22oz bomber to CBS snifter on 1/5/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to Sebowski for the hook-up --

A: It looks ok I guess. Nothing crazy. A standfard pour yields a dissapointing one finger head, which has an almond-brown hue to it. Lacking retention and zero lacing.

S: A reasonable amount of wood, and what can only be described as a red fruit tanginess.

T: The fore is tannic and charry. Diacetyl attacks the mid, and adds a buttery quality to the beer which isn't warmly welcomed. The mid also reveals a mild funkiness. The finish comes off quite lactic. I will say that the infection takes a backseat as the beer warms, and recommend getting this one to room temp before consumption.

M: Just too damn brash. There's no finesse here, and the thin body only exacerbates the infection.

O: I absolutely love Alpine. It will forever hold a place in my beer filled heart. And for as much as I heart these guys, I cannot recommend this infected barrel aged porter.

I think I can see through the infection, that I'm able to get a decent feel for where they wanted to take this. And if this didn't have any outlying issues, it may've been a pretty damn good BA beer.

In the end though, this is just not up to snuff, and I sincerely hope that Alpine cleans this kind of thing up, as future bottlings cannot have this kind of issue. Here's to immediate and improved quality control.

Jan 15, 2012
comfortablynumb1 from California

3.23/5  rDev -0.6%

Big thanks to Jazz for the hookup on this one. Consumed while doing a little star gazing with the telescope. Jupiter looks amazing right now...

Poured from bomber into a RR snifter...

A - Pours black with a one finger light brown head that dissipates at fairly hasty pace. Lacing is minimal...

S - Not at all what I expected this one to smell like. First off, no Bourbon comes through. What I do get is sweet malt, a good amount of fruity tart notes, a little roast, and an odd buttery scent...

T - Very interesting taste here. First thing I get is the tartness I picked up in the scent. Cherries, sweet malt, a little roast, and the creamy butter presence. Don't pick up any chocolate or oak the bottle talks about, and the Bourbon is very muted. I do get a little Bourbon in the finish, but agian, it is very muted...

M - A little thin. Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Finishes dry...

O - Not sure what went wrong, but something is definitely off here. Alpine brews some world class IPAs, but their other offerings have really been hit or miss imo. Think I will stick to their IPAs. Glad I got a chance to try this, but definitely not something I would purchase again...

Cheers...

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Mar 09, 2014
GregSVT from Texas

3.62/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber into a tulip

A: Pours brown with a small brown head that fades to a ring and leaves the smallest bit of lacing.

S: The nose is very interesting. I can smell cocoa, vanilla, and slightly burnt sugar. It smells like a creme brulee in a glass. I can see where people would mistake that smell for butter but it's more of a vanilla cream smell to me.

T: The taste is pretty interesting as well. I get the cream and vanilla from the nose as well as coffee and a touch of whiskey in the far background. I could use more cocoa and barrel flavors but it's not terrible.

M: The feel is a bit thinner than I would expect but it is creamy. The finish does last on the palate for a while as well.

O: I think this falls a bit short of what they intended but it's not horrible. Never having had the base beer I can't tell if the barrel just didn't come through or the beer changed in the barrel. Reading the reviews it seems like the creme brulee thing going on is a result of the barrel. It will be interesting to see how this one ages although I could see it going south quick.

Oct 18, 2011
AndresR from California

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

Sep 10, 2012
AgentZero from Illinois

2.76/5  rDev -15.1%

Thanks to spycow for sharing this on a random Friday night.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a tan head that settled to a tight ring. A bit of lace left on the glass.

S - Cocoa, pankcake batter, butter, some sweet butter. Not what I was anticipating at all. There's a little bit of dark fruit but I think they might have actually forgotten to barrel age this.

T - Some chocolate, caramel malts, lot of butter. Also, not much barrel or bourbon on this. Slightly lactic/tart on the end. Infection?

M - Medium bodied, active carbonation.

O - Not particularly great. It's kind of an odd combination of flavors, particularly for a BA Porter. Not sure if this is what they were going for or it's infected already.

Oct 21, 2011
BdubleEdubleRUN from California

4.62/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at release. Pours a deep dark brown almost black with a large light tan head. Good lacing and a swirl revives. The nose is very appealing of chocolate, bourbon, roasted coffee, mAlts, and vanilla. The taste is Pretty big on bourbon but with not much heat, chocolate,cherry, vanilla, and coffe beAn. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with light car binational, surprising low heat for taste. Overall a great-bal aged porter I wish could have more of.

Review was on tap at release. Bottles that are now infected don't reflect this score

Sep 02, 2011
axeman9182 from New Jersey

2.55/5  rDev -21.5%

22 oz bottle from Dobby. This one was allowed to warm just a bit before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Alpine's barrel aged Token pours nearly a solid black, but scant ruby highlights apper with backlighting. Maybe two fingers of khaki colored foam rise up on top of the beer, but the head quickly fades and doesn't leave any lacing. The nose is a little bit weak, but has some notes of vanilla and dark chocolate, but surprisingly no bourbon. There's also some sour cherries and dark fruits, but not not as much as I'd been bracing for. The infection is much more prominent in the flavor profile, especially as the beer warms. It definitely takes over from the vanilla and chocolate. The beer doesn't have a bad taste per se, it's just not anywhere near what a porter should taste like. Similarly, the mouthfeel is entirely off for the style. It's way thin and overcarbonated. I actually didn't hate the barrel aged Token, it's just not anywhere near being a porter.

Mar 16, 2012