Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 920 | Ratings: 3,649
3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L- Vivid clear orange body with a big frothy tan head with long persistence. Visible carbonation.
S- Citrusy hops, subtle. Not much going on here.
T- Orange, tangerine and sweet malts upfront. Then comes the dank resinous hops with a caramel undertone.
F- Medium, rich.
O- Very good but I expected much more. Not as hoppy as I would liked.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

The beer pours golden and cloudy. It has a little head that goes away fast and it has good lacing. The smell of the beer is light and orangey. The taste of the beer is dry and hoppy. The feel is rich and fresh. The beer also lingers in the back of the throat. Overall, I'd buy this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Scored from OlieIPA for ... oh shit, I didn't give him anything yet.

Little bit of a haziness in this golden hued beuaty. White head. Moderate retention.

Smell is mmm, hops. Thick with hops. If there was a hop scented Glade Plug-In, this is what it would smell like.

Taste is strong and good but to be honest, I taste a little water as well. An ever so slight fruit flavor is present. Overall flavor is a little weak.

Of course it's very drinkable and cuddlable. It's just that I had a fresh Sculpin this week and it blows this stuff away.

Ok, finished the bottle and it was good not great.

Overall: Sculpin

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Yellow-gold, good head.

Smell: Strong, pithy citrus, a touch of garlic.

Taste: Piney first, then solid malt body, then a ton of hop flavor on the finish with citrus peel and black pepper, quite bitter.

Overall: Alpine just came to the MN/WI area so I've been grabbing bottles as I see them. Pure Hoppiness just barely misses the mark for me, a little too bitter and I'm getting a little onion/garlic from it too. I suppose that's fine, this 6er was about $5 more than the other Alpines I like better!

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz bomber in a snifter

Appearance: Pours a hazy-yellow-gold with lots of hop flecks that quickly settle to the bottom. Nice 2" foam head that quickly dissipates, good lacing.

Smell: Hops with just a light touch of malt. Pine, citrus, grapefruit, etc

Taste: Malt adds just enough sweetness to balance things out. Little bit of caramel, with lots of hop flavors - grapefruit, citrus, pine, etc

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation, a little over-carbonated for me - almost like a sprite. It is full bodied but not heavy. Incredibly dry (more dry than any other IPA or DIPA).

Drinkability: Good, but not the best, I prefer yulesmith, ruination, pliny the younger, etc. Enjoyed trying it but will stick to those three kings. It is a little bit more drinkable than those three, the ABV is not noticeable.

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear orange with a firm white head and lacing.. Oniony/garlic with piney and surprisingly not as bitterness as expected... Tons of allium notes that get a bit clingy on my palate, I just don't dig it as much as I do other hop profiles. I doubt I will buy another one of these again.. too many other fantastic DIPA's in the rotation.

4/3.75/3.75/4/3.75

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, I'll be the stick in the mud.

I can think of 10-20 DIPA's I would rather drink . This was an expensive six-pack ($17) that didn't live up to it's price tag. Maybe that's not a fair way to judge this beer, but so be it.

Overall, this is an above average beer, however, the price and hype surrounding this brew demands greatness. It didn't happen for me.

The aroma was definitely the standout on this one. A nose full of piney goodness. Resiny with a touch of citrus and dank. The body was crisp and quaffable. There's nothing wrong with being "above average", but I was hoping for an experience that didn't happen.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Served cold from a 22 oz brown bottle into a Boston Lager glass.

Big hop aroma at the bottle top and during the pour.

Appearance is golden yellow just hinting at amber, almost crystal clear, no haze but a few flakes that settled quickly. Fluffy white head settled to a persistent layer o fizz, depositing thin lacing all the way down.

Aroma is huge with hops of all varieties. Citrusy, fruity, woody, piney and sprucey. Some honey sweetness in there too, which becomes more prominent as it warms in the glass.

Flavor is all hops, any maltiness is only in the mouthfeel. Bitterness and hop flavor coat the tongue, palate and back of the throat. Big California hop bill could use some heavier crystal malts to balance.

Overall this is a good beer but shy of great because of the lack of balance. But, hey, it's called "Pure Hoppiness" not "some hops & some malt!" I'd ditch some of the flavor hops--such a light pale ale needs bitterness and aroma but with a lesser flavor addition, I think.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Had on tap at the Stone Bistro. Reviewed off notes.

Appearance - A light copper color, with a very small head. Really just a thin ring. Laces slightly.

Smell - Nice. Some tropical fruit going on. Mango and apricot, definitely. Also grassy and herbal on the end.

Taste - Follows the smell. The mango and citrus fruit is nice, but the grassy herbalness takes over. There is a bitter sweetness off the caramel malt that isn't working for me.

EDIT: The finish isn't so much a malt as an grassy astringency. It's quite unpleasant, and harms what is otherwise a very nice beer.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp, like an IPA should be.

Drinkability - Goes down pretty easy. Enjoyable.

This is a good, but not great, beer. Probably suffered in comparison because I had an O'Brien's also by Alpine immediately afterward and that one was far superior. I'd have this again if it were more available, but it's not something I'd bother seeking out.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass tulip. Best by 27 April 16 on label. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Light amber with prodigious 1-2 finger oatmeal colored head with loads of craggy lacing.

S: Pine and resiney hops, earthy herbal dank hops in the nose as well.

T: Very bitter with resiney hops blast and dank grassy overtones with light hand of grapefruit pith.

M: Creamy with very dry finish, medium body at most.

O: Pretty good beer if you like dank, resiney hoppiness. I wish it had a little more subtlety and variety to it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a dark golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice sticky lacing on the glass. Resiny, piney, green and citrus hop aroma. Taste is very bright, limes, lemons, citrus grapefruit. Light malts to balance it all out. Decent, but I would reach for the Expo Hoppiness first, if I had the chance.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a weird adhesive taste to it. Tried to see if I got an older batch but it looked fairly fresh. Maybe I just got an unlucky bottle as peole I trust rave about this. Was Ok, just not anything I'd rank super high.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours deep golden with thick two-finger head that dissipates rapidly. Good lacing. Aromas of tropical fruit, citrus, grass and a slight whiff of soap. Sweet malt hits the palate first, followed by earthy, citrusy hops. Soapy and astringent finish (and aftertaste). Medium body with light carbonation. Overall, a decent imperial IPA, balanced and well crafted but the astringent finish and soapy aftertaste diminish its drinkability.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Clear straw orange color with a nice fluffy 2 finger head.

S - Earthy piney grassy hops mostly. Although a significant citurs presence as well. Smells great if you like hops. I do. So there you go.

T - Hop salad. Like the aroma there is piney spruce hop flavors & plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, citrus flavors as well. Oily & yummy. Balanced? You have to seek out the malt flavors. That's fine though.

M - Medium feel. Medium carbonation. Dry & somewhat thin feeling to me.

D - Drinkability is high. I could down these all day.

Tasy brew. I'm a hop lover, so I like the somewhat one deminsional taste. That's not a knock.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Originally reviewed on September 14, 2006. 22 oz Bottle. Lucious sweet liquor of hops, licking my nose with Centennial piney resins. Full of swaying fresh grasses and grapefruit trees. Pour of an amber tinged pure gold, crowned with a rocky froth of off-white. Flavor is a delicious lightly creamy malt body, heavy with droopy eyelids of fresh white pine needles and a bough of aspen leaves. Dryly smacking of grass resin and freshly squeezed Valencia oranges. A drop of lemon juice and vodka sneak in. Mmmm hops. An well built IPA with great balance and body. I love the long draw of hoppy apple peels.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

this brew pours up a pale orange color with an off white head.... the nose is a very pure floral hop aroma.... the taste is pale matls, floral hops with a hole in it (? I was drunk when I wrote this)...I would like to try this again though if anyone wants to donate to the cause...

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Sampled from a bottle purchased at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop.

A - Golden and clear with very little head.

S - Floral hops, toasted malt and yeast.

T - A nice citrusy bitterness partially offset by a semi-sweet malt contribution. There's some floral and citrusy hop flavor but this one leans more toward the bitterness. This is a good IPA but for me, not a great one.

M - Oily and silky consistency with a low carbonation.

D - A good beer and it grew on me more and more but it's just not up to the CA standard set by RR, Ballast Point and Stone.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Pure hoppiness is beer candy. It poors a nice light golden color with a decent head and slight lacing. Smells are of sweetness and hops with some orange and lemon. Decent smell with a good deal of hops and sweetness. It is sweet and citrusy up front with a hoppy finish. Very pleasant blend of flavors. This is a great ipa that is different from most I've tried.

Reviewed blind as part of the blind bif 7

Well after a cold from hell and then a pesky storm that we were lucky to skirt for the most part, I am ready to dip into my very generous box from quirkzoo that I received awhile ago. Inside were 12 hobo wrapped bottles and one very nice Crooked Stave shirt. The wait has been killing me but I wanted to hold off until this cold was gone so I could enjoy these beers.

1.a
Pours a golden orange with an inch of white foam that leaves some good lacing down the glass. Right off the bat the aroma of this one is very juicy. Lots of citrus hops and boy is it smelling divine! I don't want to stop smelling it. Its just too damn good.
Nice amount of bitterness but nothing that overtakes the flavor. Very resiny with a hint of soapiness. This is very drinkable. The flavor doesn't knock you over like the aroma does, but its very enjoyable. Very dry finish, sort of reminds me of plink the elder but I don't think its the right bottle for it.

1.b
Pours the same as 1A but a little darker and with just a little less amount of foam. The lacing is not as pronounced and sticky as 1A. In comparison to 1A this has a lot of the same citrusy notes but way more subtle. A little bit more of the malt comes through. Now this one seems a bit more ramped up in the flavor. There is a bigger malty backbone to it which helps bring the flavor of the hops forward. Less bitterness as well. Its thicker bodied than 1A as well.

So these seem to be two different beers, one seems like an IPA and the other a DIPA. Its neat to see how the higher the maltiness really seems to bring out the hops in the flavor while the other one is all aroma. Both of these beers are really good and I was in need of some good hops so these hit the spot. So lets see what I was drinking…

1A is Alpine Nelson
1B is Alpine Pure Hoppiness

I really wanted to guess Alpine on a hunch but never had, and both were wants in my book. Hell of a good start thanks to quirkzoo for a great start to this bif for me.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to goodspeed94 for sending this my way in addition to allsorts of other great hoppy stuff, knocking a few nice ones off my wants. Looking forward to this one. Hop on!

Looks like an IPA. Smells like an IPA. Lots of hops in the nose.

Pine in the mouth that I really like in an IPA, but not quite as aggressive to make the top tier. The hops have quite a punch! I can feel my taste buds slowly withering on the vine. Nice & creamy, with a very appealing virtue. Despite the middling-high ABV, I could certainly have a few of these bellied up to the bar.

Very good beer. Doesn't reach my top-tier, but I'd never turn one down!

Pure Hoppiness
Double IPA
Alpine Beer Company
8% ABV
OG 1.072
22 oz. with no dates into a Bell's tulip. Thanks BulbMan!

Hay golden and amber with an excellent off white head. Hazy towards the bottom of the bomber. Moderate head retention and moderate lacing. Nothing spectacular but good nonetheless.

I have had Pure Hoppiness before, and all I could think was dank, grass, cannabis etc. etc. Now, not so much! Fruity notes with a faint memory of what I loved --- clearly, this is not a fresh bottle, OR my nose is off. But, there's no way to know until the bottles are dated, so I am just going to go with AVERAGE here. Sorry Alpine. You probably don't care though.

The weediness is much more prominent in the taste, but still not UP there. Light and crisp with medium bitterness, this seems like a good IPA but not among the best; not by a long shot! The malts are there, but not as much as I'd like, and the beer feels rather watery. Taste is mostly dank and spicy, which could have been very good. However, in my humble opinion, the focus is on flavor and aroma much more than the actual bitterness, and I'd love to see how it drinks with part of the hop bill scheduled earlier in the boil. Still, not bad. Mouthfeel, as remarked has its shortcomings and could be more beer-y and less water-y.

Overall though, and especially with warmth, this beer comes to its own and drinks hoppy and easy. The green and wet character, along with the bitterness, is amplified and starts to delight more and more. However, I really feel that the ABV could be 2% lower. Really. A disappointment, but a mild one, and only so because of the high expectations, I believe.

Scores: Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 4/5; Mouthfeel 2.5/5; Overall 4/5

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bomber into an Indian Wells pint glass.

This beer is picture-esque, seriously, got a little less than an inch of a foam creamy looking head. A little off white but not by much it dissipastes evenly and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Awsome coloring on the brew itself, it seriously reminds me of a pale ale like sierra nevada, clear, pristine, golden when held up to the light.

The nose is most definitely ipa, although dipa I'm not too sure about. For sure of the sweeter variety but I mean it can't be only the malt giving it that aroma. I get citrus, sweet sugary smooth dankness, and a tad of bitter pine in there, we'll see what ensues in the flavor!

The flavor is there, it delivers on the nose, and reverses the order of ranking of sweet and bitter I got initially. So that basically means that this guy is mellow. It's got the malt to balance for sure, makes it smooth and sweet in the back of the mouth and on the swallow. But when you're thinking critically, the initial hoppy bitter ipa flavoring is there.

Solid feeling in the mouth, thick enough due to the malt and very smooth due to the sweeter hops used for the swallow.

To me, this brew is smooth, and fresh, not over the top hoppy but definitely not to be underestimated as a flagship beer of the american ipa style. I honestly think its in the wrong catagory by being called an imperial ipa because I just don't think it fits the bill.

Of course, that is extremely knitpicky which in the long run is pretty inconsequential. This is a good beer, good rep of the american ipa style. If you love ipa and can't get enough of the gnarly ones then this is probably not the beer for you but if you're a beer lover and like Ipa as a style then try this bad boy out!

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Draft. Lovely floral and caramel aroma. Deep amber color with light head. Rich flavor with a hint of the caramel, loads of hops, and a fair amount of alcohol heat. Alcohol and hops linger on the finish. Tasty, but be prepared for the kick.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Special thanks to my friend Mike for procuring this bottle fresh for me from San Diego. Thanks, Mike.

The beer poured a deep golden color with a white lacing of head. The consistency of the head was wispy and foamy, not mouselike or creamy.

The aroma was a strong citrus smell, most likely a heavy contribution from Cascade hops. Beer bottle indicates the beer is run through a hopback but also dry hopped after primary fermentation.

I liked the taste, but it did not blow me away. The firmness of the hops was there, but there was a slight misrepresentation from the malt. Not by much though... this beer was obviously very well-crafted. It was clean, free of all off-flavors and impurities.

The beer was medium-bodied, which I think could of benefited from being medium to full-bodied.

Overall, it was definitely a drinkable brew. Probably not a beer I would seek out, but something that I could enjoy on any given night.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to Armand for trading this, looking forward to trying some Alpine. Bomber poured to Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a crystal clear coppery orange, white head starts at a little over a finger, retains nicely as a good cap and thick ring leaving some lacing.

Nose seems mostly pine/earth dominated..lighter fruit such as grapefruit and lemon. Onion-y presence grows with warmth.

Taste brings out a bit more strength in the fruit profile, grapefruit most noticeable along with some faint tropical notes (mango?). Floral, piny and herbally hops as well. Caramel malt is there but barely. Like the scent, a veggie presence pops up over some time.

Carbonation a bit on the high side, solid mouthfeel. Lots of hop flavors going on, not much malt presence but definitely not overly bitter, smooth.

A good DIPA for sure, but truthfully not great, nothing I would go out of my way to trade for again. Freshness may be a factor to that, but with no bottle date I can't say for sure.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company