Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 897 | Ratings: 3,524

A: An orange hue with a foamy head that leaves great lacing.

S: Orange and other citrus fruits.

T: Rather sweet up front, but it finishes with a nice dosage of bitterness.

M: Medium-bodied.

D: It's a pretty good DIPA. It's not the best I've ever had, but I wish there was a brewed-on date so I could know if this bottle had a little age on it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

A: thick foam head with wicked lacing and hazy golden yellow in color.

S: a blast of hops, slight citrus hints as well tease the senses.

T: an initial sizzle of hops with an aftertaste of tropical fruits.

MF/D: a buzz of carbonation that fades rather quickly leading to a rather smooth swallow.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance -- Pours a bright copper with perfect clarity and one finger of sudsy white head. Good lacing.

Smell -- Grapefruit, tangerine, and pine resin are the most prominent aromas, but also apricot, honey, and pale biscuity malt. Not incredibly aromatic. Freshness?

Taste -- Grapefruit, resin, clover, and apricot flavors resonate in the hops department. Malts are pale and mostly dry with a little bit of honey sweetness. A little bit of buttery diacetyl; pretty typical of Alpine.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body, perhaps a bit fuller than medium, with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Quite good, but it didn't knock my socks off. Certainly not as good as, say, Nelson, but a worthy addition to a stellar IPA/DIPA lineup.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of cmurren25, thanks Chad! Pours a slightly hazed, dark gold color. Thick, sticky tan foam holds great and clings to the glass with ease. A pretty brew, for sure.

Pine needles galore with a fresh, citrusy grapefruit punch. Almost medicinal smelling, the hops are so thick. Malt background has quite the load of caramel to boot. Fresh and hoppy, for sure.

Taste has a cool, uniquely minty and pithy hop profile, flowery even. Plenty of bitterness here and a decent amount of flavoring hops. Has a malt balance similar to Pliny, light caramel and grainy. Bitterness gets rougher as it warms and shows some rough edges. Flashes of bready yeast actually come through, nice. ABV feels and tastes right at about the 8% that it is, and I like the fact the alcohol is not over the top. Good beer, quite drinkable. I would probably put this third, after Sculpin and Pliny for best IPA/DIPAs that I have had.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a very nice strong golden color with some orange and amber hues. Oily like pour. There is a nice .25 inch head that is nice and white with slight ivory hints and pretty dense and small bubbles. It recedes slowly but then again its a smaller head.

S - Delicious citrus hops and grapefruit sweetness with some mild honey-suckle aroma. Slight grainy malt. Great pine like aroma almost Christmas tree strong but very appealing. The grassy hop aroma is soooo fresh almost like there are hop cones in the bottle.

T - Wow delicious hop explosion in the mouth! Citrus orange and grapefruit peel as well as delicious sweetness from these fruits. In the middle there is a nice pale malt biscuit flavor that is well balanced along with the hoppiness. To me this flavor attains 99.99% perfection. Great dry citrus feel on the back end that is bitter and deliciously refreshing. As the beer warms there is some nice alcoholic warmth and spice. Perfect addition to other flavors.

M - A bit on the light side but still very delicious, crisp and oily. Clean flavors that are very distinct and pop out. One of the best DIPA's in my book.

D - Refreshing and delicious. ABV is not too crazy.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a pretty golden-yellow color.

S: Obvious hop aromas but also kind of smelled like soap or potpourri.

T: Not sure if Alpine Beer Co. used a different kind of hops that I'm not familiar with/used to but it tasted too fruity and reminded me of soap. Almost the floral flavors you taste in belgian IPAs.

M: Hops flavor lingers on tongue for a while. Almost feels like a syrup consistency in throat post-swallow with a sharp aftertaste and stays with you.

D: Wasn't too fond of this beer but maybe because I'm just not used to the sweeter hops. Too fruity and sweet for my tastebuds.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks again, Evan.
a-golden orange, finger of cream fluffy head. nice patchy lacing
s-white grapes, apricot, citrus
t-big hoppy sugary white grapes, apricot, light pineapple, a bit of pine, lots of stuff goin on here. bubble gum?
m-gentle tingle of alcohol. light effervescence. pretty light and refreshing.
d-like it more than duet, less than nelson. but hell, that's pretty damn good. fruity pebbles ipa. i dig it.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to mlaroche for throwing in this want extra of mine.

Pours a golden color with a tinge of orange, great sized head that fades at a slow rate, some nice patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell is beautifully hopped, the majority of the aroma is citrus blended with a hint of caramel malt sweetness.

Taste starts out sweetly hoppy, it's kind of weird that it's not overly bitter hoppy, but there's a nice sweetness to it that isn't cloying but just right, the citrusy hops have enough bite with a slight presence of fruit.

A very good DIPA that doesn't go overboard on the bitterness factor but highlights the other aspects of a hoppy beer.

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

750ml bottle in a trade with mobz24 (Thanks Richard) poured into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Golden yellow color, thick head that retains very well and produces some nice lacing.

S: Pine, Citrus and Caramel Aromas

T: More of a mellow, earthy, piney hop flavor initially -- a bit subdued and not overpowering. But then the beer finishes with an incredible long lasting piney hop finish that goes on and on.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation

D: Very solid IPA that I would seek out again -- easily drinkable and would pair well with a pasta or fish entree.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle. Pours a deep orange/amber color with a nice 1 finger fluffy white head. Strong aroma of citrus and sweet malt. The taste is quite nice without being too hop overpowering. Very well balanced with what they call the "hop bite" and the end. More citrus rind hop flavors than pine. Lack of alcohol taste for being 8%. Mouthfeel is slightly off in my opinion as it seems like it should be slightly heavier. This isn't a bad beer by any means but I think I was expecting a little more out of it.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

S - An amazing bouquet of pine, citrus, hops, pineapple and everything you would expect from a wonderful WC DIPA.

T - Similar to smell, with an added burst of 'rusty' hops. An absolutely brilliant beer with a very clean finish. Almost Pliny worthy, but not quite. However, leaves me wanting another (I'll call this the "pliny effect.")

Notes: This is my second Alpine beer. My only other was a Mandarin Nectar which I found incredibly refreshing after a day at the beach. When I purchased this beer I also bought a Duet and Nelson - reviews to come.

Edit: I just had this beer again (2/18/11) and it is friggin' amazing.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to mrtopher for this one!

Into the pint glass goes this one and whoa!!! Loads of carbonation even with an easy pour... Very active head... Quite clear for an unfiltered brew... Golden with 3 inches of head most of the time....

Citrusy and piney aromas that are actually a little more subdued than I was expecting and hoping for... Nice aromas for sure but they don't seem pungent enough for me....doesn't smell old or anything, just a little subdued and that could be due to the head on this thing...

Crisp hoppy flavors led by grapefruit followed by resiny pine finishing abruptly with not much of a lingering bitterness at all... Malts hold their own in the background quite well... Pretty balanced actually...

The carbonation grew tiresome after a while with this one... Overly carbonated on the palate, it hurt the drinkability a bit..

Overall a very solid brew... I have a bottle of Nelson and Duet from these guys and can't wait to see how they measure up...

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass. Taken from notes

Pours a light orange vibrant color with a two and half inch white fluffy head. Good retention that leaves bits amount of lacing clinging to the sides of my glass.

The smell is of citrus with tangerine being dominate along with pine like hops and slight floral aromatics.

The taste upfront was of a slight citrus tangerines flavor along with grapefruit and midway is a pine bitterness that seemed to dominate the rest of the flavor.

Thick syrup like body that I did not really care for with average carbonation.

Out of Duet, Nelson, and Pure hoppiness. This one was the worst of the three. I recommend Duet if you are going to choose.

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

A generous and fresh gift from Arbitrator. Thanks once again, Arbi!

Served in a pint glass, it pours a very frothy head with incredible lacing evenly dispersed. Somewhat opaque, not cloudy and more orange than the largely brownish DIPAs I've enjoyed recently.

Wafts of tangy citrus fruits abound..grapefruit, orange, lemon zest - an aromatic and great smelling beer.

Well balanced, a bit grassy, not a huge malt presence. Sweet caramel comes through but in a subdued fashion. Tropical fruits and a clean finish. Just the correct amount of carbonation. I pick up some pine but it is not sticky or resiny overall.

How do they get it this clear appearing as an unfiltered beer?

I've never experienced an DIPA that comes off the palette as clean as this one.

Scary session-like for a big boy. No heat at all; you would never guess it packs such a large ABV.

Much love for yet another Alpine product. I can see why they are in such huge demand. I would buy this again and again if available locally.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to Kaiser81 for sending me this a week ago. I didn't know what treat I was actually receiving! Cracked it open at a recent poker game - wasn't planning on reviewing it until I took my first whiff. Whew, amazing! This my first beer from Alpine, and it sure started off with a bang!

I cracked this thing open as the big blind landed in front of me. A very nice frothy head billowed up inside of my Cigar City pint glass. The beer itself is a deep golden amber with a dark center and leaves sporadic off-white lace in my glass.

The smell - this is it. I was absolutely blown away by the smell of this beer. I kept passing it around to the guys at the table (most of whom are BMC kinda guys) in hopes of someone finding it to be as amazing as I...yet unsuccessful. I didn't even dive into this one until a full round of blinds - I just enjoyed the smell. The grapefruit is the dominant smell, and it is juicy and full. There is an obvious orange peel as well as the orange fruit as well. On the end, there is a bit of pine. An outstanding job of balancing the sweet maltiness with the hops.

The flavor of this guy is just bursting with sweet fruit. Grapefruits and oranges for sure, and if I had a better idea what tangerines or mangos, and all of that tasted like, I'm sure they would be in there too. Followed closely by a blast of hops, this beer truly is aptly named. The hoppy resin is definitely felt in the medium-bodied brew. It is well carbonated but a bit slick.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the Pure Hoppiness. A great example of a well-balanced DIPA. Fortunately, Ryan sent me some more of Alpine's stuff as well. I look forward to cracking those open this week.

Consumed: 7/31/2010

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this one!

A - Orange-yellow body with a nice big foamy off white head. Lots of sticky lacing on this one.

S - Nice tropical and citrusy fruit flavored aroma. A hint of grass tinted resiny aroma lies in there as well.

T - Nice semi-balanced DIPA. Picking up a nice lingering piney bitterness. A good grapefruit hop punch is in there as well. There is enough malt flavor to complement the hops but it doesn't have any characteristics that stick out. The part that sticks out to me the most is the lingering bitterness. Pretty solid flavor.

M - medium body with an average amount of carbonation. Not really sticky or syrupy pretty standard DIPA body.

D - the lingering bitterness makes this one go down fast since I'm constantly trying to have another sip. I like the aroma more than the flavor but this is a nice DIPA. It would be nice to have this easily available but I am not going to go nuts trying to obtain another bottle. Good beer but not mind blowing.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Round #1 of my journey into Alpine IPA goodness was very enjoyable with a Nelson. Round #2 was even better with a Duet. The third and final round is now Pure Hoppiness. Big thanks to glazeman for the chance to try the trio. Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Nearly clear medium orange color. The carbonation issue with the Nelson has manifested again. First pour yielded 4+ fingers of frothy pillowy head. Unfortunately, very good retention. This took a while to get a full glass. Moderate amounts of spotty lacing.

4.5 S: Lovely. Loads of fruity and floral hop aroma without any harsher aromas. Papaya, mango, pineapple, mandarin orange, and the slightest touches of grapefruit.

4.5 T: Grapefruit, pine, and orange are the biggest contributors to the taste. Slightly herbal in the secondary. Malts make an appearance in the taste and are overall neutral with a touch of toffee and caramel sweetness. But, make no mistake, the hops are the concentration here. The overall dryness and hop punch give a tongue twisting experience. Moderate, but very soft bitterness.

4.5 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit higher than desirable, but that was expected. Creaminess is there and is quite nice. This is easily the best of the three in terms of MF.

4.5 D: I'm glad I ended with this one as it is the best. The other two were tasty, but this one is the best tasting and it also has the best mouthfeel by far. Based on the 4 Alpine IPAs I've had now, I can say Alpine makes some good hoppy brews.

Huge thanks to my #1 beer importer BeerFMAndy for yet another Cali beer from his trip. Poured Split and poured into my tulip. The beer is golden amber with about two fingers of off white head. Spotty bits of lace are left behind.

The aroma is mostly pine and citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit and oranges along with fresh pine needles. A tiny bit of burnt rubber in the background does knock this one down a bit.

The flavor is a huge pine blast. Lots of resinous pine along with mango and grapefruit citrus flavors. I get a bit of hot alcohol in each sip. A definite sweetness comes in on the finish from the malt.

Medium body with modest carbonation.

Overall a very nice DIPA. Not outstanding but glad I had the chance to try it.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: Wonderful looking beer, deep orange color, almost bordering on amber. 1.5 inch white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Great, complex aroma of grapefruit, pinecones, potpourri, and a tad bit of caramel.

T: I thought this was a lot like Nelson in that I thought both had excellent balance. This however, had a much more intense, enjoyable flavor than Nelson. I didn't have to "search" for all the different flavors, everything was apparent and blended great right immediately upon my first sip. As with the smell, I got nice amounts of citrus and pine, with a bit of malt balanced in.

M: Great mouthfeel, with a nice aftertaste, a little bit of stickiness, and just the right level of carbonation.

D: By far my favorite of the Alpine IPAs at this tasting. I'm not really a fan of hop bombs, so with a name like Pure Hoppiness I would have been a little skeptical, had this not been a blind tasting. Turns out I really enjoyed this beer, don't think it was overly hoppy, but while the hops were definitely there, they were quite balanced and pleasant. I would love to drink this on a regular basis.

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 8% ABV, no date.

A - Just like the other Alpine brews, Pure Hoppiness pours out a clear golden yellow color with a great head rising to two fingers. Good retention ends up as thick lace all over the glass.

S - Once again, the aroma is a little bit low and finally enters in with an unfortunate plastic and burnt rubber aroma. A bit of mango and a hint of onion ask the hops. What is going on in these two beers (Nelson included). A bit of malts in the background but its not appealing.

T - Again, most of the gross off-flavors in the nose disappear in the taste. This time the beer is better with a fairly strong pine and fruit profile that carefully lets a smooth toasted biscuit malt backing through.

M - Pure Hoppiness is medium-full-bodied and bold with a smooth but almost slick feel and a low-medium carbonation finish. Bitterness is balanced well on the finish with malty sweetness.

D - Decent drinkability, much better than Nelson, it goes down well and smooth with a nice finish. A drinkable double IPA that doesn't feel at all like a double IPA.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite by a landslide - what an incredible beer!!

A - PH pours a hazy light bronze with a lovely one finger head with great retention and lacing.

S - Just what you're looking for in a DIPA - piney hops, oranges, lemons, tangerines, and alcohol.

T - Outstanding. Malts up front followed by beautiful citrus hops to finish. Just a great beer.

M - Good carbonation and just the right viscosity.

D - I could drink at least a bomber of this one by myself. Quite drinkable.

All in all, PH is by far the Alpine king when compared to Duet and Nelson - I NEED to get my hands on some Exponential Hoppiness when it is released again. Can't wait!!

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a standard pint.

Dark golden amber in color. One finger white head. Sick lacing caked to the side of the glass.

Smells of sweet honey malts with tropical fruits (pineapple), and bubble gum. Malts are really foreword on this one in the nose

Taste is of pineapple, bubble gum, spicy pepper, and bitter resin. Nice honey malt backbone that can stand up to the hop onslaught.

Full bodied with medium carbonation. A hop bit on the end. What one would expect from a good DIPA.

Quite drinkable. A very solid offering

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

I got an initial two fingers' worth of off-tan head with good retention from my pour. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was very citrus-grapefruity. Mouthfeel was medium with a solid hops taste on the tongue. It was the sort of thing that causes a couple of east coast lager brewers that I know to muse on whether the brewer may have forgotten to add malt. There was malt, though, as evidenced by the outstanding lacing throughout. For me, it was an indulgence in my hop habit. The ABV makes it a bit difficult, but otherwise, I found it to be an eminently drinkable beer. Finish had the whacking "hop bite" for which the label indicated they were striving.

I'm leaving my original bottle review and scores in place, but since I just scored a fresh bottle as part of their expanded distribution, I am giving it a second look.

From the bottle: "This mega-hopped, West Coast-Style India Pale Ale will take you to hop heaven! We've used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge 'hop bite.' Once you've tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. Drink better beer so ... Drink Alpine Ale or Go to Bed! - [undersigned] Pat McIlhenney".

I had no more than Pop!ped the cap than the kitchen smelled like I was in the midst of a pine forest! Wow. The head came foaming up pretty quickly, forming three-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber-Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The lacing that formed as the head fell clung to everything, making me dread the clean-up later. The nose was filled with pine and my hophead mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was medium, but it hit my taste buds with a take-no-prisoners attitude. The taste was at once both lemon-citrusy and sticky with pine-like resin. Phew! Finish was dry and gasping and world-class, indeed! This is why I became a hophead in the first place.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

If you're content with grabbing a six-pack of mega-brew from your local convenience store, quit reading this now. If, however, you've somehow become addicted to the flowers of the Humulus lupulus, you may have finally met your match. Alpine Beer Company has raised the bar for hop aroma, nose, mouthfeel and aftertaste. Opening a bottle of Pure Hoppiness is like spraying an aromatherapy can around you -- except instead of lavender and jasmine, the air becomes filled with a citrusy-floral aroma which invites you to investigate and discover the pot of gold at the end of the brown glass bottle. And the smell is such a tease when compared to the smooth ultra-hopped flavor of the beer itself. Mildly malty, well-carbonated with a pale yellow color, this beer is pure homage to the hop.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle picked up at South Bay Drugs.

Pours hazy yellow. Great bubbly white head.

Aroma was a bit off with hints of garlic and onion along with some lemon and grapefruit. Dry grassy notes as it warmed

Flavor was a decent balance of sweetness with hops, but nothing exceptional. I may have been tainted since I was blown away by Duet, but this didn't have anything special.

Mouthfeel was medium body, good carb, and nothing wrong with how it went down.

Overall, this is a very drinkable DIPA and I would easily buy this again if I had access, but Duet worked better for me.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company