Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 882 | Ratings: 3,463
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this one!

A - Orange-yellow body with a nice big foamy off white head. Lots of sticky lacing on this one.

S - Nice tropical and citrusy fruit flavored aroma. A hint of grass tinted resiny aroma lies in there as well.

T - Nice semi-balanced DIPA. Picking up a nice lingering piney bitterness. A good grapefruit hop punch is in there as well. There is enough malt flavor to complement the hops but it doesn't have any characteristics that stick out. The part that sticks out to me the most is the lingering bitterness. Pretty solid flavor.

M - medium body with an average amount of carbonation. Not really sticky or syrupy pretty standard DIPA body.

D - the lingering bitterness makes this one go down fast since I'm constantly trying to have another sip. I like the aroma more than the flavor but this is a nice DIPA. It would be nice to have this easily available but I am not going to go nuts trying to obtain another bottle. Good beer but not mind blowing.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Round #1 of my journey into Alpine IPA goodness was very enjoyable with a Nelson. Round #2 was even better with a Duet. The third and final round is now Pure Hoppiness. Big thanks to glazeman for the chance to try the trio. Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Nearly clear medium orange color. The carbonation issue with the Nelson has manifested again. First pour yielded 4+ fingers of frothy pillowy head. Unfortunately, very good retention. This took a while to get a full glass. Moderate amounts of spotty lacing.

4.5 S: Lovely. Loads of fruity and floral hop aroma without any harsher aromas. Papaya, mango, pineapple, mandarin orange, and the slightest touches of grapefruit.

4.5 T: Grapefruit, pine, and orange are the biggest contributors to the taste. Slightly herbal in the secondary. Malts make an appearance in the taste and are overall neutral with a touch of toffee and caramel sweetness. But, make no mistake, the hops are the concentration here. The overall dryness and hop punch give a tongue twisting experience. Moderate, but very soft bitterness.

4.5 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit higher than desirable, but that was expected. Creaminess is there and is quite nice. This is easily the best of the three in terms of MF.

4.5 D: I'm glad I ended with this one as it is the best. The other two were tasty, but this one is the best tasting and it also has the best mouthfeel by far. Based on the 4 Alpine IPAs I've had now, I can say Alpine makes some good hoppy brews.

Huge thanks to my #1 beer importer BeerFMAndy for yet another Cali beer from his trip. Poured Split and poured into my tulip. The beer is golden amber with about two fingers of off white head. Spotty bits of lace are left behind.

The aroma is mostly pine and citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit and oranges along with fresh pine needles. A tiny bit of burnt rubber in the background does knock this one down a bit.

The flavor is a huge pine blast. Lots of resinous pine along with mango and grapefruit citrus flavors. I get a bit of hot alcohol in each sip. A definite sweetness comes in on the finish from the malt.

Medium body with modest carbonation.

Overall a very nice DIPA. Not outstanding but glad I had the chance to try it.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: Wonderful looking beer, deep orange color, almost bordering on amber. 1.5 inch white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Great, complex aroma of grapefruit, pinecones, potpourri, and a tad bit of caramel.

T: I thought this was a lot like Nelson in that I thought both had excellent balance. This however, had a much more intense, enjoyable flavor than Nelson. I didn't have to "search" for all the different flavors, everything was apparent and blended great right immediately upon my first sip. As with the smell, I got nice amounts of citrus and pine, with a bit of malt balanced in.

M: Great mouthfeel, with a nice aftertaste, a little bit of stickiness, and just the right level of carbonation.

D: By far my favorite of the Alpine IPAs at this tasting. I'm not really a fan of hop bombs, so with a name like Pure Hoppiness I would have been a little skeptical, had this not been a blind tasting. Turns out I really enjoyed this beer, don't think it was overly hoppy, but while the hops were definitely there, they were quite balanced and pleasant. I would love to drink this on a regular basis.

3.67/5  rDev -15%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 8% ABV, no date.

A - Just like the other Alpine brews, Pure Hoppiness pours out a clear golden yellow color with a great head rising to two fingers. Good retention ends up as thick lace all over the glass.

S - Once again, the aroma is a little bit low and finally enters in with an unfortunate plastic and burnt rubber aroma. A bit of mango and a hint of onion ask the hops. What is going on in these two beers (Nelson included). A bit of malts in the background but its not appealing.

T - Again, most of the gross off-flavors in the nose disappear in the taste. This time the beer is better with a fairly strong pine and fruit profile that carefully lets a smooth toasted biscuit malt backing through.

M - Pure Hoppiness is medium-full-bodied and bold with a smooth but almost slick feel and a low-medium carbonation finish. Bitterness is balanced well on the finish with malty sweetness.

D - Decent drinkability, much better than Nelson, it goes down well and smooth with a nice finish. A drinkable double IPA that doesn't feel at all like a double IPA.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite by a landslide - what an incredible beer!!

A - PH pours a hazy light bronze with a lovely one finger head with great retention and lacing.

S - Just what you're looking for in a DIPA - piney hops, oranges, lemons, tangerines, and alcohol.

T - Outstanding. Malts up front followed by beautiful citrus hops to finish. Just a great beer.

M - Good carbonation and just the right viscosity.

D - I could drink at least a bomber of this one by myself. Quite drinkable.

All in all, PH is by far the Alpine king when compared to Duet and Nelson - I NEED to get my hands on some Exponential Hoppiness when it is released again. Can't wait!!

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a standard pint.

Dark golden amber in color. One finger white head. Sick lacing caked to the side of the glass.

Smells of sweet honey malts with tropical fruits (pineapple), and bubble gum. Malts are really foreword on this one in the nose

Taste is of pineapple, bubble gum, spicy pepper, and bitter resin. Nice honey malt backbone that can stand up to the hop onslaught.

Full bodied with medium carbonation. A hop bit on the end. What one would expect from a good DIPA.

Quite drinkable. A very solid offering

4.32/5  rDev 0%

I got an initial two fingers' worth of off-tan head with good retention from my pour. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was very citrus-grapefruity. Mouthfeel was medium with a solid hops taste on the tongue. It was the sort of thing that causes a couple of east coast lager brewers that I know to muse on whether the brewer may have forgotten to add malt. There was malt, though, as evidenced by the outstanding lacing throughout. For me, it was an indulgence in my hop habit. The ABV makes it a bit difficult, but otherwise, I found it to be an eminently drinkable beer. Finish had the whacking "hop bite" for which the label indicated they were striving.

I'm leaving my original bottle review and scores in place, but since I just scored a fresh bottle as part of their expanded distribution, I am giving it a second look.

From the bottle: "This mega-hopped, West Coast-Style India Pale Ale will take you to hop heaven! We've used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge 'hop bite.' Once you've tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. Drink better beer so ... Drink Alpine Ale or Go to Bed! - [undersigned] Pat McIlhenney".

I had no more than Pop!ped the cap than the kitchen smelled like I was in the midst of a pine forest! Wow. The head came foaming up pretty quickly, forming three-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber-Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The lacing that formed as the head fell clung to everything, making me dread the clean-up later. The nose was filled with pine and my hophead mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was medium, but it hit my taste buds with a take-no-prisoners attitude. The taste was at once both lemon-citrusy and sticky with pine-like resin. Phew! Finish was dry and gasping and world-class, indeed! This is why I became a hophead in the first place.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

If you're content with grabbing a six-pack of mega-brew from your local convenience store, quit reading this now. If, however, you've somehow become addicted to the flowers of the Humulus lupulus, you may have finally met your match. Alpine Beer Company has raised the bar for hop aroma, nose, mouthfeel and aftertaste. Opening a bottle of Pure Hoppiness is like spraying an aromatherapy can around you -- except instead of lavender and jasmine, the air becomes filled with a citrusy-floral aroma which invites you to investigate and discover the pot of gold at the end of the brown glass bottle. And the smell is such a tease when compared to the smooth ultra-hopped flavor of the beer itself. Mildly malty, well-carbonated with a pale yellow color, this beer is pure homage to the hop.

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle picked up at South Bay Drugs.

Pours hazy yellow. Great bubbly white head.

Aroma was a bit off with hints of garlic and onion along with some lemon and grapefruit. Dry grassy notes as it warmed

Flavor was a decent balance of sweetness with hops, but nothing exceptional. I may have been tainted since I was blown away by Duet, but this didn't have anything special.

Mouthfeel was medium body, good carb, and nothing wrong with how it went down.

Overall, this is a very drinkable DIPA and I would easily buy this again if I had access, but Duet worked better for me.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

A: poured a golden yellow with light orange highlights and a half finger head that left pretty good sticky lacing.

S: nice piney floral hop aromas with citrus fruit presence and malts that let off sweetness and hints of booze and grass.

T: very crisp bitter sweet piney hop punch with a great malt balance hints of caramel, citrus grapefruit and slight booze.

M: medium body with moderate carbonation that has a sweet bitter oily finish and lingers on the palate.

D: great DIPA from alpine brewery, these guys really know how to brew some bad ass west coast hop bombs. I'm lucky I can go down the street anytime and pick some up.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of piny and tropical hops with some sweetness.

Tastes of big hops with a wave of malt sweetness. Hops are characterized by citrus, pine, and a bit of tropical fruit with a good amount of bitterness. Malt has a big caramel note. Touch of spiciness comes through.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden color with a bright white head of about a finter. The head doesn't stick around long but it has left some nice lacing. The aroma is very sweet with big notes of tropical fruits with just a bit of spice and tad bit of alcohol - not much pineyness or earthy smells present.

Slight bitterness up front but it fades away quickly leaving a nice sweet malt flavor. A very drinkable and refreshing beer with a nice balance to it. This was my first taste of Alpine's beer and I'm looking forward to trying more from them.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a deep golden bronze, topped with a beautiful inch of meringue-like white foam. I get more malt than I expected on the nose, but also a good amount of the expected citrusy and piney hops. On the palate, somewhat dry, with grapefruit, tangerine and pine, backed by a solid malt foundation. The alcohol is very present and noticeable, especially in the second glass.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into my Zatec fluted glass. Not an incredible amount of head, about 1 and a half fingers, but laced decently. Very dark amber color. Nose is classic fresh citrusy hops. I could sniff this beer all day. A bit piney. Great fresh citrus, not much heat prevalent. Refreshing, medium carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well. The perfect beer to me.

4.06/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A- Very clear slightly dark orange color. Nice one finger fluffy head that remains throughout albeit not so tall. Very nice lacing.

S- Malt hits you at first and then the hops. Not very in your face(err nose) hoppy aroma. The weakest part of the beer for me.

T- Citrusy hops all the way. Lightly bitter. Hops just coat your mouth for a nice long finish. The flavor just remains there to savor.

M- Full bodied without being too heavy. Great level of carbonation

D- Very drinkable. Not too high on the alcohol scale so it doesn't slow you down too much. Really like this beer and would drink it often if it were around. That doesn't appear it will ever happen unless traded for.

Definitely impressed with Alpine's beers.

4.06/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perry's Liquor hooked me up on this one. After a long and stressful trip packed away snugly my suitcase with dirty clothes and after a damned TSA inspection (got the lovely card to prove it), I though I'd do this beer a favor and enjoy it freshly & on my own on the back porch!

22 oz, chilled bottle with no freshness date.

Pours a lightly cloudy, dull brass and orange color with a gorgeous, creamy off-white head. Great lacing along the walls of my glass.

Not a whole lot on the nose, mild bitterness and a sweet malt sensation.

The taste brings much more than the nose indicated. I get a solid wave of pineapple, apricot and tangerine from the hops in this one - all chased with a very sweet and sour finish. I almost get a waxy quality in my mouth, the sign of lots of hops! The hops are big and noticeable, but not attacking the palate with bitterness. It all mellows accordingly with the firm malt presence.

Great mouthfeel with just the right amount of refreshing, crisp and active carbonation.

If this was available locally, I'd have it more often!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Vibrant amber/orange pour into a DFH shaped pint glass. Excellent clarity and an ample off white head with excellent retention and lacing.
Big bouquet of hop perfume, mostly citrus, which subsides to a persistent dank aroma.
The flavors are dry and hoppy, a big shot of grapefruit bitterness up front, a restrained malt balance in the middle, and a another blast of hops in the finish.
The mouthfeel is lush, with a nice bit of carbonation to balance things out.
A very mild alcohol burn is the only downside to what is a really drinkable double IPA.
Having had this and the Exponential Hoppiness, I can only say that Alpine Brewery has produced two really fine examples of the west coast art of the hop.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A-Pours a golden/amber with a nice, billowy white head that has good retention and leaves nice, sticky lacing all the way down.

S-Citrus and floral hops, pine resin, an ever so slight malt scent. Not terribly complex but very nice.

T-Bitter yet slightly sweet, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, a bit of honey and just a touch of biscuity malt.

M-Medium body. Perfect for the style. Carb level is just right.

D-This one went down REALLY easy and another was easily doable.

A very enjoyable DIPA. If you're a fan of the style you won't be disappointed in this one.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Fresh bottle from my first South Bay Drugs order.

Orange-amber pour (I need to come up with better colors for DIPAs) with a little over a finger of dense, sticky white foam. Great lacing.

Well, I know this is going to be a pretty hoppy beer, because I can smell citric and piney hops as soon as I pop the cap. Hard to imagine a DIPA smelling any better. Loads and loads of citrus rind, with lesser quantities of pine/resin. This is my third IPA/DIPA from Alpine, and, so far, I have to say their hop-forward beers smell better across the board than anyone else's.

And, let's be honest, they have better flavor, too. Duet and Nelson were absolutely delicious, and Pure Hoppiness is, too. There is a malty sweetness to the flavor, which perfectly balances (but doesn't diminish) the grapefruit/orange hop flavor. Really, really good bitterness in the finish. Just enough to remind you that you're drinking a really hoppy beer. Certainly not overdone. Apparently Alpine has perfected IPA/DIPA balance without losing any hop flavor.

Despite not having a ton of malt flavor, we've got plenty of heft. I prefer IPAs to DIPAs in just about every way, but texture isn't one of them. Pure Hoppiness is a perfect example. Big body, slick and oily yet plush and creamy at the same time. Carbonation is absolutely perfect.

Didn't detect any of the advertised 8% ABV. But, that's likely because the glass was empty before I had a chance to. Pure Hoppiness is as drinkable of a DIPA as I've ever tasted. I'm convinced that Alpine can do no wrong. Next stop: Exponential Hoppiness.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

nice pillowy head retention that releases a great aroma, this Alpine company really knows how to do hoppy beer aromas! Tropical with some smooth, not harsh citrus and esters.
Taste is similar but with a sweet backbone that stops just short of balance which is great for the style. And the mouthfeel is better on this then the other Alpine ipa i had lastnight, it has more carbination and provides exactly what i was missing in the other, a crisper hop delivery. doesn't have the most dry finish i could hope for but still good and expected for the balace, and makes for an enjoyable bomber top to bottom.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Pours a golden yellow with a tint of orange...mostly clear with two fingers of meringue like, soft white head which leaves a lot of lacing on the way down...

Citrusy, tropical fruit aromas dominate the nose...piny and resinous. Slightly earthy and a bit of sweet malt tries to balance things out...

Piny and slightly bitter. Sweet, fruity, oily...pretty one sided hop presence (duh). Not flat out bitter, has a nice sweet side to balance things out...

Sticky and thick with good carbonation...medium to heavy bodied and much chewier than expected...

Pretty good DIPA, I prefer Nelson and Duet from Alpine over this one, but I would definitely drink it again...

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.
Thanks to mobz24 for this chance.
Pours a cloudy copper with a one-finger head which settled into a coating, leaving light lacing. Nose was a wonderful floral, pine and citrus, especially orange and mango. Carbonation was evident and mouthfeel was on the light side for a DIPA. Taste was hop forward, cut well with orange, grapefuit and sticky, bready malts. The bitterness is there at the finish, but this is not one of those screw-with-your-mouth hop bombs that leaves your mouth numb. Instead, this is a pleasant and well-balanced brew, albeit hop-focused. This characteristic is what seperates the great DIPA's from the others for me and this IS a great DIPA. The hype is justified. Now if we could only get this fresh on the right coast...

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a Spiegelau tulip.

Pours a brilliant pale copper, with a creamy white head that dissipates slowly, leaving a thin film with great lacing.

High alcohols lift a richy, resiny blast of dank, vaguely vegetal hops, full of grapefruit and other citrus notes.

On the palate this is comfortably sweet through the middle, with soft rounded edges belying a firm but delicate bitterness that finishes the deceptively dry brew out with. Hops are not entirely front and center, they live on the edges, grapefruit and tangerine with a slight hint of onion and grass. There's a bit of high alcohols towards the end which adds to the feeling of "bigness" in the brew (despite the "only" 8% ABV).

Mouthfeel is nigh on perfect, luscious and smooth as the beer is rich but finishing with a crackling lift on the back end that leaves this clean except for resiny hop notes on the back palate. Masterful.

Superbly quaffable, if it fails at all its in lacking the rough, ragged edges of its sibling Nelson, or the full on West Coast style hop assault of Duet. This feel like a quieter, more contemplative beverage for fulfilling that hop craving without the hysteria of something more bold.

A classic.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a mug.

This is the last beer from my Secret Santa haul and I must say this is the best of the bunch. This beer pours a a nice hazy yellow/orange color with a nice carbonation activity present after the pour. There is a decent white one to two finger head that sticks around for a little while. The smell isn't anything special but a nice solid smelling IPA. The taste is where this beer set itself apart. The taste is a nice smooth balance of hops and malt. There is little bitter taste, rather I am picking up a nice mellow even taste the beer. To me, this tastes more like an IPA than a DIPA. A very nice tasting beer that is easy going down and very well balanced. Thanks to to stevemcqueenjr for this beer. I have had other Alpine beers and this is hands down the best offering I have had.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company