Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

#407
4.3

Ratings: 3,677 |  Reviews: 928
4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

2.91/5  rDev -32.8%

The label reads: "Best By 27 APR 2016 F15330"

Appearance: The body of the beer appears mostly clear with just a tad of haze. It is a darker golden orange color with a short off-white creamy head.

Aroma: Not much aroma here. It has this sweet candy smell that reminds me of a tootsie roll pop but really even when I close my eyes and try to blank the canvas I'm not getting anything. Pretty lackluster.

Taste: I get a big malty hit right off the bat. It's a very sweet tasting beer. The bottle says "West Coast-Style" which usually has a lot more hop flavor. This one honestly taste more like an East Coast Style beer from the maltiness.

Mouthfeel: It has a good mouthfeel leaving just a bit of residual sweetness. Good bitterness although it feels like the scales are tipped slightly more towards the sweet side.

Overall: It's not a bad beer. I feel like I was a bit misled by the name "Pure Hoppiness" because it is a very sweet tasting beer and the claim to be a "West Coast-Style" threw me a bit. If you are a fan of a maltier DIPA then this is for you. I did enjoy it and I would drink it again but before I would recommend the beer I would have to throw out the caveat explained above.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, best before 6/1/2016.

Medium amber color, brilliant clarity, with a large, creamy, white head. This is how I like my IPAs to look, as opposed to some of the unfiltered milkshakes that have become the recent trend. Big hop aroma filled with citrus, orange, grapefruit, pine, and flowers. More citrus in the flavor with a sharp bite to it from the pine. You do get some caramel malt in there for balance. Long, dry, and bitter aftertaste that never gets anywhere near being astringent. In fact, it's very clean and easy to drink.

So, that was some of the good. Now, the bad... $16.99 for a 6-pack. Ouch! And, from what I'm hearing, that's inexpensive compared to some other states. Outstanding Imperial IPAs are being brewed all over the country, so you better be producing something special to charge that much. I've had interest in Alpine for some time now and this was the first beer of theirs to be available in bottles in NJ. So I decided to splurge and give it a shot. I'm happy it's in 6-packs compared to an $8.99 bomber or $14.99 4-pack. I was able to give a couple of bottles to friends and still have some for myself. However, I probably won't be purchasing any of their bottled offerings again until the prices come down. This is a very good beer, but nothing that sets it apart from the rest of the pack.

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Slightly hazy amber brown color with a full inch of frothy head.
S - Piney and citrus hops with sweet orange malty goodness.
T - Sweet and bitter but has a nice sweet middle were the malts and hops clash so perfectly. Finish is bitter and a touch soapy west coast style.
M - Medium bodied and smooth with a nice balanced bitterness.

Overall I tired this once and liked it enough to post a review with a new bottle. Still did not disappoint!

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear orange with a firm white head and lacing.. Oniony/garlic with piney and surprisingly not as bitterness as expected... Tons of allium notes that get a bit clingy on my palate, I just don't dig it as much as I do other hop profiles. I doubt I will buy another one of these again.. too many other fantastic DIPA's in the rotation.

4/3.75/3.75/4/3.75

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: Quite clear golden. Huge soapy white head that leaves bubble bath like lacing everywhere. A real looker here.
smell: Floral and grapefruit and piney with some citrus for good measure. Loads happening in this nose.
taste: Quite dry. A relatively (and unexpected) smooth dry citrusy thing followed by a gentle bitter pleasant bloom in the finish. Nice

4.06/5  rDev -6.2%

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2.89/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%