Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 885 | Ratings: 3,478
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Gorgeous bronze pour with a 2 finger head which receded slowly leaving a nice set of lacing.

S: Smells like a pine forest filled with flowery hops and a faint pineapple.

T: Hops, hops, and hops. A wonderful blend of in your face hops with citrus undertones. On second drink could taste a small bit of pineapple up front as soon as it hit the tongue.

M: Very clean, moderate carbs

D: Unless you choose to intentionally drink it slow this beer will be gone quickly. Extremely drinkable.

Overall an outstanding beer from Alpine Beer Company.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Much thanks to joepais for this bottle.

Poured from the bottle bright, clear orange-gold with two fingers of rocky white head.

Hoppy aroma of pineapple, flowers, and pine followed by more pineapple, grapefruit and pine. To be fair, the caramel malt presence isn't bad either.

The taste is a beautiful medley of floral hops, pine, and sweet caramel malts. Well-balanced with a clean finish. The 8% alcohol is well-hidden.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, with a moderate carbonation.

This is a terrific IIPA from Alpine. So drinkable and so tasty.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz bomber as an extra from Floydster. poured into an oversized tulip glass. no date on the bottle.

A- creamy white head immediately leaves lacing as it shrinks down to a thin layer of foam. deep gold to reddish. fantastic clarity. appears moderately to aggressively carbonated. great lacing.

S- pine needles and tree sap dominate, complemented by orange and orange rind with sweet malt, almost honey-like.

T- pine trees and citrus. a strong malt base, but not overpowering the hop character. sort of reminds me of sweet tarts.

M- perfect. viscous, but carbonated enough to make the bitterness pop.

D- don't need to wait very long for the next mouthful, no sipping this one. fast drinking 8%.

Fantastic DIPA. I drank Alpine AND I went to bed.

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

bottle courtesy of kbm

S: Grapefruits, multiple citrus, melons dancing out of glass. Very appealing.

A: Light orange to yellow. Normal white carb.

T: Piney and citrusy hops. More pine in taste than smell. Appropriate malt to back up hops. A little light on the malt, which is how I like it.

M: Right amount of carb and malt fullness

D: Extremely easy drinking and refreshing

O: Solid. Like Pliny's little southern california protege. Did like their Nelson Rye a bit better. Haven't had their Exponential Hoppiness yet for comparison.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to choprite for this one.
22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a light copper color with slight orange with a one finger white fluffy head that leaves patchy lacing. First smell-wow, this beer smells like the hops were just strained out, super fresh citrus-lemon & grapefruit, grass, honey and vanilla. Grapefruit and resiny pine up front lead to sweet orange and caramel with some bready malt flavor to balance ending with the bitter pucker of grapefruit rind. Medium high carbonation, medium body this is one smooth and creamy beer with the carbonation cutting through the creaminess. Fantastic beer, this is what a west coast IPA should taste like.
My first beer from the Alpine Beer Company but certainly not my last.

4.84/5  rDev +12%

I drove up to Beverages 4 Less in Santee the other day and picked up a gaggle of beers, this being one of them. I have had many Alpine beers in my day, however this beer was one that I had not tried. Wow I'm glad I tried it. Although not quite as impressive as its cousin Nelson from New Zealand, it's definitely a Top 100 beer IMO.

A - Not a lot of head with this one although there's still a fair amount of carbonation.

S - WOW! I smell grapefruit, orange, lemon - it's surprisingly refreshing!

T - Now this is what I'm talking about. An in your face west coast, San Diego, double IPA...there's no hiding the amount of hops they threw into this beer and yet it's not unbalanced at all.

M - Perfectly carbonated - this is how all beers should feel in a mouth!

D - In a perfect world I'd drink this beer at least once a week!!

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a light orange with average head and lacing. Full, deep hop bitterness spread across palate. Spicy vanilla with fruity and herbal notes. Pleasantly warming, lasting, bitter finish. Bold flavor, but far from harsh - alcohol is restrained. One 22 oz. is perfect amount.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

22 ounce bottle without a freshness date poured into a St. B goblet (as close as I could get).

Beer is light amber and the beer has high haze. There is almost no head. Just thin broken patches of small white bubbles. The head clings to the glass. Carbonation is low to moderate.

Beer has a sweet smell and then a strong pine hop aroma. Maybe I should have used the snifter for this beer to focus the aroma better. Second smell was the same, mixture of malt sweetness and hop (pine).

Smooth full bodied beer. Good sweetness up front, no hint of alcohol in the flavor, no aftertaste at all. The hop flavor is midpalate and provides great connectivity between the front and the back of the mouth. Second taste, got more sweetness and more bitterness this time, its a good beer. Drinkability high and mouthfeel is really good. Very clean, not dry. A great DIPA.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz Bottle received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a clear golden orange color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is filled with hops. Floral, pine and resin dominate. Tart fruit, apricots caramel and honey round the nose out nicely. Tastes like sucking on a hop cone, but in a good way. Pine and resin again dominate the flavor. Very little, if any malt makes its way to the surface. Grapefruit and apricots find their way into the middle followed by a long lingering bitter dry finish. Sticky resinous mouthfeel, medium body and carbonation. That is one fine DIPA! I'm not sure I can find anything to fault it on. Very well done.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Honey orange, nice lacing

S: Piney smells are the most prominent with some floral as well.

T: Mostly piney hops with a mild, but perfectly appropriate amount of balancing malt.

M: Light and crisp, appropriate levels of carbonation.

D: I could drink this one all day long if I metabolized alcohol like mosquitos do, but I don't, so let me say it another way. My mouth could drink this one all day long but the 8% ABV would knock my ass out after an hour or two.

Pure Hoppiness was one of the first harder core IPA's that I loved. It truly is Pure Hoppiness.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to errantnight for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a perfectly hazy bright gold capped off by a thin yet very creamy slightly off-white colored head. It's only about one finger thick but it leaves a healthy coating of lace all the way down the glass.

S: Very floral hop aroma along with smells of honey, caramel, pine, apricot, spiced peach, and pressed wild flowers.

T: Same as above with the main difference being a lessening of honey flavors but a lot more pine. Also, the herbal/floral hop presence is stepped up and compliments the slightly sweet orchard fruit aspects of this.

M: This has got to be one of the best "feeling" DIPAs on the market. There is so much harmony between the bitter, sweet, dry, and sticky...we were astounded! Finish is long and bitter and dry-just the right thing to cap off a wonderful bottle of beer.

D: What can we say but, wow. We were utterly humbled in the presence of this beer. This beer deserves all the hype.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to alexd3891 for this beer in our bet on the NLCS, Go Phillies!

Drinking and reviewing this for my one year birthday here on Beeradvocate...

A: Poured a nice golden, off-white head.

S: Smells of pine needles dipped in grapefruit juice! There is also a sweet tropical flavor in there as well. Backing this all up seems to be a bready backbone. This smells fantastic!

T: Just like it smells, pine needles and grapefruits, with also a hint of possibly pineapple or some other tropical fruit. There is also a malty backbone consisting of a sweet bready flavor, but make no mistake, this is an incredible hop assault! This beer is bitter and that's just how I like 'em! The flavor that stays in the mouth post-swallow is a delicious pine flavor.

M: The tiny little bubbles tingle perfectly in the mouth and on the way down. This beer has perfect carbonation for the style, a medium body, and a good amount of hop residue left on the tongue.

D: This is exactly what I look for in a beer, and this makes me consider moving to San Diego county...

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance - Beautiful golden amber color with a little head, nothing overwhelming.

Smell - Crisp sent of pine, citrus with a little floral tone.

Taste - I had been warned it was a hop explosion and I wasn't disappointed, it tasted just as explained. The traditional taste of "West Coast IPA" comes out of this brew, flavors of pine and hops cover the mouth and it balances so well through the entire experience. And the hops balance exceptionally well with the malts, but the malts compliment the hops and don't take away anything.

Mouthfeel - Was nothing that I expected, it was more thick feeling than any other DIPA I'd had before, but was extremely satisfying.

Drinkability - In my top 5 of DIPA, this could be a weekly consumption. Not disappointing to any degree, worth the trip if you can pay the fare and handle the smoothness. This beer sucked me into Alpine as a new love.

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

A-Light orange....not much head

S-I'd almost guarantee this bottle has some Nelson Sauvin or Summit in it...it's got that garlicy/herbal aroma up front backed by a smaller basic citrus (oranges/grapefruit)

T-Taste takes on a little citrus but the catty herbalness is still there...has a little of grapefruit peal on the finish...

M-Malt balances as this feels fine and not one sided but the malt never exerts....body is medium to full...a nice little bitterness on the finish but this is not a hugely bitter beer.

D-It's well made I just am not a big fan of the Nelson Sauvin/Summit hop flavors personally. Granted there are other hops at work here but that one or two stick out to me a little more than the others in this beer for some reason...decent enough but not great in my mind.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

New beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours a nice amber, hazy golden color with about a finger of relatively slowly dissipating foam which leads into some great looking lacing.

Smell - Very "fresh." Hoppy, piney, and citrusy which is followed by a nice malt/sweet character. Smells great!

Taste - A bit more bitter than I was expecting from the smell, but not in a bad way. I immediately taste the bitter grapefruit, orange peel, hops, and some pine. This is followed by a nice balanced malty taste. [Edit] The more I drink this the less bitter and more enjoyable this becomes.

Mouthfeel - Relatively thick mouthfeel with decent carbonation but not over the top. Ends with a crisp and fresh finish.

Drinkability - Very much so. I meant to drink this a couple weeks ago when I first got it but have not had a chance so I'm sure if it was even more fresh it would have been that much better. Not the "best" DIPA I've had but pretty good.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Very excited to try my first beer from alpine.

A: Golden orange witha faint amount of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. It left a half inch layer of head that quickly faded leaving a thin foamy white layer on top of the beer and nice spider webbed lace.

S: Nice citrus hops. Mostly mango and apricot. Not as strong smelling as some other beers but very pleasant. Some caramel notes can also be detected.

T: An initial wave of mango, peaches and grapefruit give way to a robust pine finish. The pine overtakes a biscuity sweetness especially after the first sip.

M: Slightly bready and full bodied with an intense lingering hop finish.

D: Wow I downed this one quickly. Tasty for sure and something I would surely have again, but I left feeling somewhat let down probably becasuse I had insanely high expectations.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 22-oz. bottle snatched from hi-times in costa mesa. great not to have to drive to san diego to grab a bottle.

Poured an amber body with a nice head that lasted for a loooong time. nice soap bubbles and lacing.

Nose was straightfoward west coast: grapefruit, fresh hops, citrus, a small amount of pine.

taste was very well balanced. this definitely wasn't a hop bomb like i thought it might be. again, balanced malt backbone towards the end, a bit of warmth. nice, not exceptional.

definitely drinkable. very little carbonation and a medium body are a combination that makes this one go quickly.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

22 oz. into a snifter

P: Sunlit bronze with an off-white head that shows a thick, creamy underbelly beneath the medium-sized soapy bubbles on top. Showed good retention and left some sticky lace as it settled to a thick collar of foam around the neck.

A: Well, with a name like "Pure Hoppiness", I was expecting a megaton explosion of all things hoppy to catapult out of the glass, singe my nose hairs, and knock my socks off. Unfortunately, it didn't do either. But still, it does have a hop-a-licious aroma that, even though it doesn't approach the elites, is nothing to scoff at. Citrus is right upfront with grapefruit in the lead, followed closely by some vibrant tropical fruits, fresh pine needles, and a flower petal or two. Sweet, biscuity malt and caramel bring up the rear, as they should.

T: Sweet, caramel-dipped biscuity malts lay low as the hops launch their attack on the palate. Just like the nose, citrus is dominant with primarily grapefruit, peaches, mangos, and melons running the show, while pine sap rides right underneath and hits the tongue with some bitter spiciness on the slightly one-dimensional back end. Speaking of bitterness, it's not overactive and it's not on vacation, either. It's right in the 'moderate' range and helps to dry things out considerably on the finish.

M: Pure Hoppiness feels just a notch below being full-bodied for the style. It's not exactly velvety smooth, but it does glide across the tongue quite easily and offers some creaminess that really helps the drinkability.

Notes: I am so excited to finally see some Alpine brews (other than Ichabod) being bottled and distributed to some local stores. It's about damn time! I was even more excited when this was the first thing I was greeted with as I walked into my favorite spot. Pure Hoppiness is a rock solid DIPA that I enjoyed, but it doesn't approach the upper eschalon of West Coast DIPA's, in my humble opinion. Still, it's a very good beer that satisfied my hop fix for the night.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz bottle purchased at Alpine for $5 which I think is a great deal for a double IPA. Clear golden color, soapy head, good lacing. The smell is hoppy but not in the fruity, citrus vein and more of the oily grassy hoppiness. The flavor is quite hoppy but again, not much fruit or citrus but a ton of oily bitter hoppiness with a decent biscuit-like malt to back it up. This is a fantastic value and if I could I would buy this all the time.

update -5/2013 - bottle

This is just a great IPA. Bitter, hoppy, got a hint of sugar. Nice.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Got this bottle of awesomeness from Imperialbeachbrw and I can't wait to crack it. Oh wait, here I am doing it now. Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

A: Pours with a big bubbly head that looks delicious. A piney brown amber color with touch of orange that is so brilliantly clear I'm watching TV through it, upside down that is. THis looks amazing.

N: Its also got an amazing nose. Its loaded with piney citrus hops, pretty fresh tasting, although I'm sure it really emanates with this great aroma when its even fresher. A slight nice malt character adds a nice touch.

T: Aha! Just as I suspected, great hop taste. Its got a pretty strong piney and some nice citrus hops. It's got a slight crystal malt taste to back up the hops slightly. THe hops are pretty juicy as well, which I love in a great IPA. The fresh hop taste adds a slight chewy feel to it with that great hop taste. I also get a slight grassy hop taste that makes it slightly different than Pliny, as it was pretty similar up to this point. I also get a hint of a creamy caramel. Bitterness builds and builds and it really gets on top of your tongue fast. The big hop character hides the alcohol well, although its only 8% but I can't even really taste it.

M: Semi thick and decent carbonation, almost chewy with the huge hop infiltration on the tongue, somewhat frothy on the mouth as well.

F: The bitterness just bombards the tongue on the finish, especially after a few sips. It starts a little sweet on the finish but dries off pretty quickly as the strong bitterness cuts through it. The juicy taste also dies out pretty quickly but the memory of it on the tongue lasts for a while, or until I am forced to take another sip. However, the crazy bitterness that just builds and builds almost takes away from the enjoyment a little, but it doesn't (hence the "almost").

FInal thoughts: Another great IPA as I expected. Lots of great hops, piney, citrus, slightly grassy, very bitter, juicy and chewy. It didn't seem to have the piney taste I thought it would, but that is probably because it's not super fresh. It also has a slight malt character that helps support the hops so you don't rip your tongue apart. This is really reminds me of Pliny but the hop character is slightly different, and the two are great but probably even better right off the tap.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked up a bottle of this at Beverages 4 Less in August 2009.

A: A bright gold copper color with a small white head and some pretty good lacing.

S: Lots of piney hops with quite a bit of citrus thrown in there as well. A good amount of malt backing.

T: I was a little bit disappointed here. This one is definitely a hop bomb, but I think the bitterness starts to overwhelm the hop tastes to the point where it's not as enjoyable as it could be.

M: Good amount of carbonation along with a light-to-medium body.

D: Pretty drinkable, but not nearly as good as Alpine's lineup of American IPA's.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bottle received as an extra in a trade with BevMoIan. Thanks a ton for this one Ian! Poured into a Russian River Belgian glass.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear pale golden orange color. A small white head forms and fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass. Some thin, sticky lacing chases the beer down the glass.

S - Rich piney and citrusy grapefruit aroma hits right out of the bottle and magnifies in the glass. Very good. Light hints of bready malt try to fight there way to the surface and barely succeed, but the hops dominate this one, as I would expect.

T - Grapefruit and pine - more pine in the flavor than the aroma. Heavy and oily in pine nature. Light biscuity and low level caramel malt flavors balance somewhat with their sweetness. Very enjoyable Double IPA.

M - Quite full bodied, rich and resiny. High level of carbonation with Alpine's typically amazing fine bubbles that give a creaminess to the mouthfeel. Very nice.

D - Really great tasting and smooth double IPA...hops forward in the West Coast style and really good. Really good double IPA...8% is a little high to be drinking lots of this, but it would be an enjoyable experience trying.

Not quite up to Pliny or Alpine's own Exponential Hoppiness, but very, very good. Glad I had a chance to try this one...definitely would love to have this one again.

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There's a yellow haze that lingers, settles over the room, a dense, yellow-after-the-rain haze, as you may have seen in your childhood, playing under the trees when the small bits of sticks would cling to your shoes from dampness and the air sounded dead... There's a finger atop, leaving cloud-spots as it fades and I hear my childhood sweetheart calling my made-up name...
And a rich, balanced malting-sugary note, not really the ozone that one would expect, but a sharpness is there too, as we scamper after one another under the forest, amongst the thick English ivy that grows up along the fence... peaches and grapefruits, I had excellent balance, we'd walk up a fallen tree-trunk and slide down a rope (rope burn is the worst.) The aroma balanced as well, complexity of both malt and hops...
And the flavour too, all of the elements, the pine-tree finish, the greenness, a haze...
And the light, clean, haze disappeared now and giving way to a bright spring day, a dry finish, an easily tossed back beer, excellently drinkable. These trips back in the mind... such a simple life, how lovely to remember and reflect, this is where I began...

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but we got from South Bay as it was released so it's fresh. Was a slightly hazy golden honey color. Slight carb streams but good sticky white lacing. It had an average sized head that settled into a very thin film and collar.

The aroma was excellent and very hoppy. Grapefruit, pine, floral and caramel malt in the back. Tons of hops but had good balance with the sweet malt. The taste followed the aroma with large hop presence but was again balanced by the malt. Starts out with a good hop bite and then builds but the sweet kicks in at the end to tone down the bitter finish. For me, it's almost too balanced as I think a really bitter finish would fit this one perfectly and move it up a notch. Mouthfeel was good but lacking a little in carbonation.

Overall, an excellent ADIPA that could be exceptional if the finish was a little more bitter than sweet. Highly recommend and can see why this one gets a lot of praise. Heading out to San Diego next month and can't wait to try this one on-tap.

Rotation: not available here but will be seeking it out thru my buddies San Diego connections when I can.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very nice looking copper amber color with a small white head and very nice lacing.

S: This beer is aptly named. This is a very fruity IPA featuring lots of grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. Some pine and malt round things out on the finish.

T: Not nearly as fruity as I would have expected from the nose. There are still some good grapefruit notes, however. This one is very piney and bitter, which I love. The bitterness keeps the malt pretty much out of the picture, which is, again, fine with me.

M: A very crisp feel on the tongue, which is helped by amble carbonation.

D: Yet another solid IPA from the folks down in San Diego.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company