Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

#403
4.3

Ratings: 3,686 |  Reviews: 931
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Lou91 for this gem. Powerful, bold and complex hop aroma,reminds me of the first time I inhaled Dreadnaught, you could keep your nose in that glass all day, wonderful fullbodied malt hop combination like you bit into a sweetened grapefruit/orange with a beautiful tongue coating bitterness that urged you to contemplate the artist skills of the brewmaster. Amongst my top 5 IIPA's

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright copper orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About a finger of white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A big juicy and dank hop forward aroma with a scent of citrus fruit and pine. Big upfront ripe scent of citrus with hints of orange peel, grapefruit, melon, mango, tangerine, and lemon. Earthy hop hints of pine resin, grass, and cannabis. Background malt hints of caramel, grains, and yeast. A really good juicy aroma.

Taste: Like the smell hints at, a very juicy and earthy hop driven taste with big notes of citrus fruit and pine. Juicy citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, melon, tangerine, mango, and lemon. Also some nice earthy and herbal hops with some notes of pine resin and grass. Some backing malt notes of caramel, grains, cracker, and yeast. A really nice hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Juicy and fairly oily with a drying finish.

Overall: Another great West Coast IPA. Good juicy citrus fruit and pine flavors with moderate bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this was a IPA heavy west coast deliciousness beer for sure.

beautiful bright yellow with plenty of carbonation. smell was just out of this world with hops. tons of citrus, beautiful pineyness as well. taste, wowza this one was complex with varying levels of hops. first very potent and bitter and then sweet and mellow. this one drinks quite easily as well. damn fine example of a WCIPA

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. I'm review 500 for this beer. Hooray?

A- pours a gorgeous, transparent shade of orange with a half finger white head. The head fades pretty quickly, but leaves excellent lacing.

S- super juicy grapefruits! Smells divine.

T- it's bitter, but not tongue-meltingly so. There's a ton of grapefruit coming out of this, with a nice pine backbone. The sweet aftertaste of the grapefruit sticks around for awhile

M- it's got some syrupy qualities to it, but at the same time, it's a little thin. Does that make sense? I really like the texture of it, though. It works well

O- great beer. Not as in your face as some other west coast IPAs, but it's got a lot going on

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Took a trip down to the Alpine Beer Co. Had a few tasters, and picked a couple 22oz. PH bottles. Also picked up a bottle of "Great" their barlywine.

Trip was well worth it, met the brewer's son and wife, very nice people. I'll be making a trip out there again.

Anyways back to the beer,

As soon as I popped that bad boy I could smell the intense amount of hops even before I poured it into my tulip glass.

Poured a bright golden honey color. Thin white fizzy head. Quite a bit of carbonation.

My god what an awesome hop aroma, as if I was burying my face in pure hops, awesome! Very citusy and grassy almost pine.

Night crips taste, very nice strong hop finish. Grapefruit like bitterness. Not so bold that it is unbalanced, actually it's very balanced. Pine like bitterness left on the tongue.

One of my favorite beers, finally got it in bottle form Awesome!

Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Medium orange color with a 1-finger head that dissipates very quickly. Hops, hops, hops...I love hops. I could literally smell this one from across the room. Tons of piney, herby, resiny hops on the nose. Intense. Some citrus as first but soon changes to a caramel and bread aroma. Complex stuff. Smack-you-in-your-face hop bite right up front, but a really well-balanced DIPA by the maltiness on the taste. 8% alcohol, completely hidden. Another home-run by Alpine. These guys know how to make hoppy beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn, this is an amazing beer. DIPA's are my favorite style, and I've tried most of em out there. I have to say Pure Hoppiness is one of the best Double IPA's I've had. Of course Pliny the Elder is my #1, but I'm always searching for something similar...or possibly better. So far this is my #2. If you like Pliny, you'll love this beer!

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One finger white head after No real retention, small splotchy lacing.

Smell has grapefuit, pineapple, peach, pear, and pine.

Taste has bitter hop, slightly skuny hops, fresh fruit, citrus pith.

Mouthfeel has moderate body and medium carbonation. Makes it quite pleasant to drink.

Overall very drinkable tasty stuff.

I very much appreciate johndoe8 for including this first as an extra and then getting this for me a second time.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this in my fridge for about 3 weeks before getting to it. Was assured it was fresh by the guy at the store.

Pours a beautiful orange amber color with an inch of white head. Fades slightly to leaving nice lacing down the glass. Perfectly see through.

Smell is of pine and citrus. Caramel and bread makes a slight appearance, nothing major and not overly balanced.

Taste bursts with hop flavor and not as much bitterness. Huge citrus, pine, herbal flavors smack you in the face and the caramel comes in the middle to sweeten it up. Finishes with a pine flavor that lingers in the best way possible.

Mouthfeel is full, very filling indeed.

Drinkability is good, extremely inviting but could see it getting old. The pine after taste is excellent.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a 22oz bomber from Heavytaste as an EXTRA in a trade, awesome , THANKS! Served in a DFH signature glass. No bottled on date, but knowing how quickly these go off the shelves, I assume it is very fresh, it certainly tastes that way.

A -Looks nice, nice orange color, small head.

S: As soon as the bottle opens, the smell comes through. Not only does it smell nice at opening, the smell lingers throughout each sip!

T: This beer tastes great. Not as sweet as a Sculpin or PTE, but tastes very nice.

M: Feels nice in your mouth, I cant wait to get another sip of it.

O:This is a great beer. I wish I had more, this feels like one I can drink over and over again. This one moves into move top 5 or 10 of my favorite beers.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks go to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this gem. We split this while watching the Super Bowl.

Appearance: A cloudy straw colored pour with orange tinge emerges from the bomber with a thick and sudsy white cap.

Smell: A wonderful citrus hop aroma with a touch of sweet malt. The hops are poppin' and I'm loving it! What a great fresh citrus aroma on this one...

Taste: Orange juice, lemon zest, grapefruit...hop oils galore!! A nice malty carmel base to balance it out. This is what I think of when it comes to West Coast IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Medium and oily, slightly dry and puckering. Not harsh but lively and enjoyable.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Lovely nectar it is. One of the better IPAs I've had in a while. Outstanding indeed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer's reputation and the exhuberant exultation of the label description have me greatly anticipating this bottle...hell, I'm glad the hunt is over and it's in my mitts at last, now all that's left is the experience..let it begin...
hey, I just cracked the crown and the happiness, and hoppiness has begun already....now, it's freed from the bottle and into the glass...pure honey gold, fine head of pure white froth bobbing on top...
the nose, that's the treasure! Piney and sprucey, sweet tropical/citric fruits...gorgeous!...hop oils aplenty, raw and delicious, this is a heavenly thing, a halo fit for a hophead...I don't want to disrupt this lovely thing by drinking it, but I have no choice...the beer beckons..will it be as savory once past the lips?
A blast of bitterness, a phalanx of fruit, creamy and juicy, with an enhanced hop profile. Some what lightish in body, but the flavor is so high to render that moot, too huge in hoppiness, buzzing every inch of the mouth with the tasty hops..which ones? Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial? How'd I do?* Maybe more, maybe less, but whatever they are, they're there in plentitude.
this is an experience in a bottle, a very happy thing to have in the mouth, I'm an instant admirer, and have a new favorite to add to my must-drink column, ...although that reputation had already put it there..now that it's been in my lucky stomach, it's assumed a rightful place among the greatest IPAs I've ever known. A real humdinger,...which means, literally, as far as humming and dinging goes, it's the real deal!

(precious thanks to kmcnair!)
*I know know it's Cascade, Columbus, and H-something--whoops, I lost...

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm an exclusive IPA drinker and this is one of the better beers that I've had in recent memory. I'm not sure where the bad reviews below are coming from. My take: incredibly floral smell- not too dank but just right. Super drinkable unlike most DIPAs. Not too syrupy and not too watery. Carbonation is perfect and subtle. Finish is a bit of piney resin and some gentle spice; a hint of tropical fruit, but you have to notice it- the beer doesn't overpower with fruit. Again, overall it's one of the best I've had in a long time.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bottle thanks to Socalbeerlover. This one was poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Alpine Pure Hoppiness pours somewhere between tangerine and orange, with just a little bit of haze to it. There's about a finger of white foam serving as a head. Head retention is not bad, but lacing is fairly spotty. The nose is a complete hop bomb. It's a citrus-tropical overload, with pineapple and grapefruit shining through in particular. Orange and mango show up as well. There's just a barely there flash of sweetness at the start, before a loud, yet pleasant bitter bite briefly take over. The last flavor to come is a spot on recreation of that incredible hop bouquet from the nose. The body is nice and light, but with a certain creaminess to it that you don't always find in IPAs. The carbonation is fairly bubbly, adding a liveliness to the beer and the hops in particular. This is right up there with Nelson for inclusion in my top 5 IPA/IIPas, and cements Alpine as one of, if not the best breweries when it comes to hoppy beers.

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz > snifter

A - Hazy orange with a finger of sudsy white head, some spotty white lacing hanging around.
S - A blitzkrieg of hop aroma invading your nose, bright juicy tropical notes of mango and pineapple, then the classic dankness of grass and pine with orange, a hint of grape.
T - Bright juicy hops hit you with a mild bite of bitterness and then you get the lush flavors of pineapple and huge fresh cut grass, pine, grapefruit, orange juice, and some very mild crackery malt that allows those hops to shine.
M - Bitey, yet incredibly smooth for its potency, medium feel on the body, no trace of alcohol to be felt.
O - Incredible west coast style IPA, the aroma is killer, and the flavor backs it up. So glad to have gotten this, thank you Green Flash for making this possible.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy Amber with a thin white head.

Smell: Citrus and pine notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Very smooth medium bodied. Taste of citrus and bitter hops.

Overall: Excellent IPA! I would definitely have this again.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company