Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 885 | Ratings: 3,477
4.71/5  rDev +9%

My lovely wife picked up a growler for me and the boys....awesome!

A- Pours a clear bright golden elixir with a huge fluffy white head. Multuple slow streamers. Essentially, looks like a perfect beer.

S- The name says it all. Straight piney hops with some sweet apricot in the end.

T- Piney resin up front, with some subtle malt sweetness... you reaaly got wait for it. Fresh cut grass, grapefruit and pineapple in there.

M- Smooth, coats the mouth with great balancing carbonation.

D- Oh man, this is the cream of the crop. If you like anything about hops, you will fall in love with this. It is not over the top hops.... just right. This is on my top tier with Sculpin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz poured into a pint glass.

A nice, 1" head with minimal lacing. It poured an orange color with a beautiful hoppy, floral aroma. Of course, citrus is king, both in the nose and on the tongue. The taste is amazing... a nice hop bite that finishes very dry. A little piney and pineappley to boot. This is the most quaffable DIPA I've ever had. Amazing beer from start to finish.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

S - An amazing bouquet of pine, citrus, hops, pineapple and everything you would expect from a wonderful WC DIPA.

T - Similar to smell, with an added burst of 'rusty' hops. An absolutely brilliant beer with a very clean finish. Almost Pliny worthy, but not quite. However, leaves me wanting another (I'll call this the "pliny effect.")

Notes: This is my second Alpine beer. My only other was a Mandarin Nectar which I found incredibly refreshing after a day at the beach. When I purchased this beer I also bought a Duet and Nelson - reviews to come.

Edit: I just had this beer again (2/18/11) and it is friggin' amazing.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Amazingly beautiful pour, tons of viscous carbonation fighting to breath. Tone amber/yellow body.

Huge herbacous tones in the nose. One of the finest smelling IPA's I've experienced. Ultra fresh, and incredibly dank, with a very nice mix of exotic fruits as well. Pineapples, grapefruit, green apple, and light oranges. Deep intoxicating fresh florals, and ripe piney underlays - while remaining sweet and succulent. Delicious and utterly unique.

Taste is juicy and extremely well balanced. Amazing smoothness and complexity on the whole flavor scheme. Solid lightly caramel malt base, with the perfect backing of hops. Not overly citric, or overly piney.... Just complex. This is an orgasm to the mouth. Simply amazing.

An insanely delicious, meticulously crafted IPA. Very well done, and highly recommended.

Thanks much to Ryan for this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. One of my favorite bars in MD was able to get their hands on this stuff. Though I only planned on having one glass, I had to have two because I don't know when I'll get my hands on a dipa this good again. It hits exactly what I like in a DIPA. Pure hoppiness. Unlike a lot of dipa's, this one has the hop bitterness, but it isn't unpleasant. The mouthfeel was very smooth as well. Overall, this is a fantastic beer.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Love this beer, consistently great.

Probably my 3rd favorite beer from Alpine which says a lot about Alpine. The taste is so fresh and hoppy with citrus and pine blast.

It has great balance and the alcohol is hidden very well. Everything you could ask from a DIPA and more. The appearance is orange and the sight and smell alone make this very inviting.

Thank you Alpine.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this bad boy sometime back from the one and only BeerTruth. I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about this brew and I’m super excited to try it. This will be my first brew from Alpine Beer company. Drank form my Squatters Pub Brewery nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful yellow with hints of orange and a mega three plus finger creamy bright white head. Leaves a massive cap and collar with tons of huge splotches of sticky lacing.
Smell- Loads of soft floral hops that are both subtle and vibrant. Soft floral lilac and orange blossom give this a super fresh, clean nose. Some undertones of pine and fresh grass. I can’t get over how clean the nose is.
Taste- Huge grapefruit and tangerine citrus start the tongue numbing bitterness. Lemon and lots of piney goodness slowly meld to join a very soft caramel undertone. Buttery and sweet at the end before the bitterness comes back and leaves a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Absolutely no alcohol to be found, I actually think this is NA.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a nice medium body and pretty aggressive carbonation. I wish it was toned down just a hair.
Drinkability- This is one of those beers that you start drinking and before you know it, you got a buzz and the beer’s disappeared. This is probably the first DIPA that I’ve had that I’m glad it’s not “balanced”. I’m not a huge hop head (although I do enjoy a great DIPA every-so-often) but this one is different. The balance and types of whatever hops they used are just magnificent. This is a great beer and huge thanks to BeerTruth.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

The famed Alpine Pure Hoppiness is finally here, thanks to Green Flash buying out the smaller brewery. The 12 oz. bottle had a best by date of June 6, meaning it was bottled on January 6, which makes this at a fresh age of 2 weeks at the time of this review. The beer poured with a typical amber color of DIPA style, with a slight chill haze. The head formation was on the large end of the spectrum, starting off at over two fingers thick, and mounding above the rim of the tulip glass. The aroma was very pungent, being noticeable at an arm's length, and hitting your nose with the smells of pine, grapefruit peel, black pepper, and hay as the beer was sniffed. The taste was not at aggressively bitter at first as the smell was suggesting. During the initial part of sip the herbal hops were muted, presenting grapefruit and grass, followed by a a touch of pine. Mid palette the flavors turned spicy and resinous. There was not much malt presence here, as this a dry West Coast, hop bomb all the way. The body was on the thinner side of medium, and the finish had teeth coating hop acid. This was truly a hophead's dream come true, and I am so thankful I can pick it up so easily. A notch above my go to staple of Torpedo in hop quotient.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another world class hoppy offering from alpine. These guys know how to work with lupulin. Bright and citrusy with pine and an uncanny smoothness. Enough alcohol to make the taste phenomenal. This is a great DIPA.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

This one pours a glorious clear golden, with a orange hue into my SA/BA glass. Tiny white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of fresh stinky, lovely nuggets of hops, and it's cousin. Surprised on how clear this beer appears. Like a great DIPA, this one continues to change flavor gears. Starts out sweet piney hop hop then goes to a dense floral hop hop ending with a zesty finish. Very well made DIPA.

Tasted again on 10.01.08
Hazy orange pour with a nice 2 fingers of near-white head. Huge aromas of lemon zest, pink grapefruit, kiwi...somewhat unique for DIPAs that I have tasted. Deceptively hoppy. Just when I think the hop flavor is done, it continues. Real delicate, fragrant hop taste. Light in the body. Extremely drinkable.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

This is damn good. Fellow BA Xlperro gave us a bottle this past friday, and really, it wasn't like I wanted this one to sit around. I shared the bomber with David of course, and we each got plenty of good beer. Color when poured was tangerine, very slight haze. Since I controlled the pour, we each got a lovely 1/2 inch of thick chewy foam. I am about 2/3's done, and still am rewarded with faint lace throughout the glass. There's a lot going on with the aroma...initial whiffs reveal some grassy hops, also some woody ones. A deeper whiff reveals frankly what one gets when they stick their nose in a bag of fresh hops...very nice. Tastewise, one is rewarded with solid medium mouthfeel, low carbonation, and hops upon hops. The hops have a bit of bitterness in the finish, but I find the beer pretty balanced (there's malt in there somewhere). I have to give this beer high marks for drinkability, because not only would I like another, I can't tell this beer is 8% at all...thanks!

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Golden brown/orange with lovely carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the top. One finger foamy head with light lacing and decent retention.

S - Big citrusy hop aroma. Notes of grapefruit and a little tangerine. Also some light piney notes underneath. Great smell. The lightest hint of a biscuity sweetness.

T - Big juicy hoppiness. Lots of citrus, primarily grapefruit. There is an underlying bready sweetness that provides very good balance without bringing too much malt to the front. The pine also provides an excellent combo.

M/D - Medium bodied and a surprisingly creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is at an excellent level. Ridiculously drinkable.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

edit: just realized the beer at the Strong Ale Fest was Anniversary Pure Hoppiness - so that is the beer reviewed here:

This is one of the highlights from the San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

The hop nose hits you instantly: very floral, slight pine and citrus tones. The pour was perfect: a frothy laced head topped the golden colored ale. The hop bite is substantial, but the taste is well-balanced. It has a nice creaminess that masks the 8% ABV, making it potential dangerous – I could see myself drinking this all day.

I need to find a vendor where I can load up on some of these bottles or make a trip to the brewery myself.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Big thanks to goodspeed94 for sending this one out my way. Split it with jac5084. Poured into two tulip glasses...

A: Pours a crystal clear glowing yellow copper with a solid one finger head. Some carbonation creeping slowly up the sides. I can tell this one is going to be sticky and thicker.

S: Fantastic scents of pineapple, candied orange, and grapefruit with a touch of grass. Nice pine scents as well with some sweet caramel on the end.

T: Very nice, thick and sticky with candied orange peel, pineapple, lemon and sweet caramel. Some darker caramel and maybe toffee makes its way in on the end.

Overall, a very enjoyable IPA. I'm sure it is better on tap, but the bottle was enjoyable.

Re reviewed on 12/19/2010 based on a super fresh batch sent by Scott. Thanks man! The review is based off of this. This batch is extremely hazy, almost like an orange juice. The smell and taste are insane. Tons, and tons of citrus orange and grapefruit. The taste is extremely sticky with citrus fruits and very full bodied.

The first two times I had this beer I was not impressed. This time I am blown away!

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Served on tap at the Toronado. This is a great beer all around. No review that does this beer justice could start any other way.

The body is a crystal clear amber with just the thinest of white heads. It could have been the pour, but I like some head on my beer and this was really only a thin lacing on the surface.

The aroma is bursting at the seams with sweet sticky grapefruit. This is pretty much textbook DIPA aroma. These aromas make me want to drink immediately.

The flavor is a perfect 10. It is incredibly smooth and blasting open with grapefruit but with the bitterness held beautifully in check. Nearly all the hops must have been added right at the end of the boil. Behind the grapefruit is a great malt flavor which brings images of barley to mind due to it's crispness.

As I said above, this is a great beer and MUST be tried if you get the chance. I am now treasuring the bottle sitting on my shelf at home.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

My pops just received a hole bunch of Alpine beers from a co-worker. This is the one i chose since ive enjoyed the majority of the others.

A: Poured out with a faint head with large bubbles that remained around the sides and also a faint spider web of froth in the middle.

S: Man oh man does this one smell good. A very nice hop bouquet jumps from the glass. Extremely fresh and citrusy followed by mellow pears in the nose.

T: This one is an extremely flavorful beer with light bread malt notes that are complimented by the yummiest hop citrus and light piney flavors. A really dry and amazing well rounded IPA that isn't overly bitter but enough to let you know that this sucker is fresh to death.

M: Very dry which hits the style dead on. I really want more and more. Far from thin, that packs plenty of depth for the taste buds from the front to the back of the tongue.

O: Um i need more plain and simple. This sucker is tasty and is freaking "bomb.com" (that means its damn good lolz)

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best by date : 10 may 16

L - a bit hazy amber with a two fingers head

S - biscuits, citrus and tropical fruits and so much pine

T - more and more complex as it warms up. Good malt backbone, grapefruit and a load of pine and a wonderful hop bitterness

M - good carbonation and somehow oily

O - a wonderful west Coast ipa even if I'm near the best by date (in less than 2 months). So drinkable even with the high abv. Balanced. A must try

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Pours w a nice finger of head. Head dissipates but leaves a nice ring of lacing on top.

S: Lots of grapefruit maybe a little orange citrus as well.

T: Lots of grapefruit hops bite but backed by a nice large dose of biscuity malt backbone

M: Good carbonation and a nice light feel especially for a DIPA.

D: Wow. So easy to drink. The best balanced DIPA to date for me.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to errantnight for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a perfectly hazy bright gold capped off by a thin yet very creamy slightly off-white colored head. It's only about one finger thick but it leaves a healthy coating of lace all the way down the glass.

S: Very floral hop aroma along with smells of honey, caramel, pine, apricot, spiced peach, and pressed wild flowers.

T: Same as above with the main difference being a lessening of honey flavors but a lot more pine. Also, the herbal/floral hop presence is stepped up and compliments the slightly sweet orchard fruit aspects of this.

M: This has got to be one of the best "feeling" DIPAs on the market. There is so much harmony between the bitter, sweet, dry, and sticky...we were astounded! Finish is long and bitter and dry-just the right thing to cap off a wonderful bottle of beer.

D: What can we say but, wow. We were utterly humbled in the presence of this beer. This beer deserves all the hype.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

pours amber color with a thick white head.

smells like caramel malt and sweet hops. nice aroma!

taste is clean and pure. sweet hoppiness and not a huge bitterness. bitter but not overly bitter. goes down very smooth. finishes bitter yet clean. a very sweet IPA.

overall this is a damn good beer. one of the better IPAs i've ever had. it's bitter but not consumed by bitterness. a sweet taste and aroma without being dominated by sweetness. achieves great balance. a fantastic beer.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Fresh bottle from my first South Bay Drugs order.

Orange-amber pour (I need to come up with better colors for DIPAs) with a little over a finger of dense, sticky white foam. Great lacing.

Well, I know this is going to be a pretty hoppy beer, because I can smell citric and piney hops as soon as I pop the cap. Hard to imagine a DIPA smelling any better. Loads and loads of citrus rind, with lesser quantities of pine/resin. This is my third IPA/DIPA from Alpine, and, so far, I have to say their hop-forward beers smell better across the board than anyone else's.

And, let's be honest, they have better flavor, too. Duet and Nelson were absolutely delicious, and Pure Hoppiness is, too. There is a malty sweetness to the flavor, which perfectly balances (but doesn't diminish) the grapefruit/orange hop flavor. Really, really good bitterness in the finish. Just enough to remind you that you're drinking a really hoppy beer. Certainly not overdone. Apparently Alpine has perfected IPA/DIPA balance without losing any hop flavor.

Despite not having a ton of malt flavor, we've got plenty of heft. I prefer IPAs to DIPAs in just about every way, but texture isn't one of them. Pure Hoppiness is a perfect example. Big body, slick and oily yet plush and creamy at the same time. Carbonation is absolutely perfect.

Didn't detect any of the advertised 8% ABV. But, that's likely because the glass was empty before I had a chance to. Pure Hoppiness is as drinkable of a DIPA as I've ever tasted. I'm convinced that Alpine can do no wrong. Next stop: Exponential Hoppiness.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a fresh bomber.
Creamy 2 finger head that literally sticks around for few moments.
Moderate lacing after all.
Surprising after tasting the medium to light body. Citrus Orange Pineapple caramel aromas. Pretty amazing floral and sweet on the nose.
A fruity cotton candy smell and taste exude from the last sips that warmed up in my LA FIN DU MONDE sniffer.
Sweet but not over the top. Pine bitterness lingers in in the back to balanced with this unconventional west coast IIPA Hop profile.
I love to try an original new DIIPA that brings hop satisfaction and Caramel Malty characters.
I have a sweet tooth anyway, but this is perfect to end a great meal. Maybe for less spicy asian food or just by itself:)
Difficult to notice trace of 8% abv. After been blown away by the Nelson, this an reminder of the creative craftsmanship at Alpine CA.
Pick any time you find on the shelf. A must.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a pretty clear copper hue with a wonderful two finger head that takes a good while to die down. Stickiness holds on to the glass all over, I may be scrubbing the sides to clean this one. Smell is a sweet, hypnotizing citrus (mostly grapefruit) with a tiny hint of caramel in the nose. Taste is one of a kind. Creamy, buttery, pine hop flavor...this is a flavor I find difficult to describe. Aftertaste is a spicey, dry hop flavor with a sweet orange tingle. Mouthfeel is perfect, fairly light bodied with the right amount of carbonation. For a DIPA, this baby goes down so smooth. Probably one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had to date, pick up this treat for sure.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente.

A - Coppery gold color & crystal clear. Thin head fades quickly, leaving a thin collar. Spotty lacing.

S - Pure SoCal IPA. Lemon, grapefruit & pine from the huge hop bouquet. A dash of biscuit & caramel.

T - As big on the hops as expected, with a light sweetness providing just enough balance to prevent the major bitter kick from being too overwhelming. Hop city.

M - medium body, with a fluffy effervescence that keeps it dry.

D - The bitterness is kickin, but any hophead will keep wanting more.

One of the best DIPAs out there, and a new personal favorite.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely a world class beer. Great hop profile with a nice balance of pine and citrus. Medium body with excellent mouthfeel. Despite the name, it isnt an over the top hop bomb, it comes off more balanced and brilliantly executed... It is missing a certain element that the very best IIPAs have (Heady and Hop Zombie come to mind) that prevents this from being a 5. Nonetheless, a fantastic beer well worth seeking out.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company