Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Ratings: 3,671 |  Reviews: 926

1.5/5  rDev -65.2%

2.16/5  rDev -49.9%

A bizarre concoction to be sure. Seemed ok upon pour, but this must have zero malt in it. This had a high acidic note that was horrid, no bitterness. Perhaps I had a bottle that was past it's prime. I can tell this might have that high A fresh taste at bottling. Not impressed, rather horrid. Have more and will re-review.

2.5/5  rDev -42%

2.5/5  rDev -42%

2.53/5  rDev -41.3%

2.64/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

"**
03/01/2016
Very Piney. Not my kind of IPA in that the Pine/Wood/Ash outshines the Citrus in the hop flavors. I know this is pretty highly regarded and I appreciate the complexity, but the taste is not for me.
03/26/2016
Side by Side of 5 IPA's
1. Southern Tier UnEarthly
2. Ballast Point Sculpin
3. Evil Genius ""This One Time At Band Camp""
4. Alpine Pure Hoppiness
5. Alpine Duet
** "

2.64/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.65/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

2.86/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle best by April 27, 2016.

Tastes like a Green Flash IPA. Seriously. Not necessarily a bad thing, but this beer isn't anything special. It's super hoppy, dry, and a fair amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is very thin. At $17/sixer you can do a lot better.

Edit: A year later and this is out again. Thought Green Flash would have nailed the Alpine recipes in the interim, but this is somehow way, way worse than I remember it. Full of off flavors, tastes like bitter soap. Nasty.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.91/5  rDev -32.5%

The label reads: "Best By 27 APR 2016 F15330"

Appearance: The body of the beer appears mostly clear with just a tad of haze. It is a darker golden orange color with a short off-white creamy head.

Aroma: Not much aroma here. It has this sweet candy smell that reminds me of a tootsie roll pop but really even when I close my eyes and try to blank the canvas I'm not getting anything. Pretty lackluster.

Taste: I get a big malty hit right off the bat. It's a very sweet tasting beer. The bottle says "West Coast-Style" which usually has a lot more hop flavor. This one honestly taste more like an East Coast Style beer from the maltiness.

Mouthfeel: It has a good mouthfeel leaving just a bit of residual sweetness. Good bitterness although it feels like the scales are tipped slightly more towards the sweet side.

Overall: It's not a bad beer. I feel like I was a bit misled by the name "Pure Hoppiness" because it is a very sweet tasting beer and the claim to be a "West Coast-Style" threw me a bit. If you are a fan of a maltier DIPA then this is for you. I did enjoy it and I would drink it again but before I would recommend the beer I would have to throw out the caveat explained above.

2.96/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium Globe

Pours out a bright golden color. Body is crystal clear. Head is initially one finger in thickness in a white color. Eventually, settles to small island of foam with a ring around the glass. Etched glass keeps the head present for the whole session but only a thin layer. No lacing is present.

Sweetness front and center with no hops at all and that's all I'm getting. What the heck? Sadly I get nothing that resembles anything like what a "West Coast IPA" should smell like. Perhaps this bottle is old?

Much like the smell, tons of malt sweetness but no hops what so ever. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat after the beer has been swallowed but up front there is just sweetness. Like I said for the smell, I'm going to guess this is an old bottle...

This is really a saving grace for this beer. The mouthfeel is very smooth and semi thick. Even though the etched glass kept the carbonation coming it didn't show up on the tongue.

Well I will revisit this beer sometime when I know how old the bottle is. This was just overly sweet and no hop presence. Had there been hops to balance out the sweetness this would probably have scored much higher for me. It was still drinkable, but not what I was looking for considering I was hoping for an Imperial IPA.

3.14/5  rDev -27.1%