Pure Hoppiness | Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
alpinebeerco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Ratings: 3,674 |  Reviews: 928
3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden orange with great head on the pour. Taste not plus. Dull lingering bitterness

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to dujayhawk for this one. Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a CCB pint glass.

A: Clear, dark gold that glows under light; only mild visible carbonation leads to a small white head.

S: Tropical fruit, citrus, and grassy hops, overlying a little biscuit malt.

T: Unfortunately, doesn't follow the nose here. Caramel maltiness fights with citrus, piney, and spicy hops into a disaster. The spicy hops get more prominent as the beer warms, which is even worse with the caramel malts.

M: Very low carbonation sensation, a small amount of alcohol noticeable, and a medium body.

O: Well, this does have some good points, primary among these the aroma. But not my preference to say the least. Caramel malts do not play well with American hops! I'm glad to have tried it, but there will likely not be a repeat performance for me.

UPDATE - Locally distributed 12 oz. bottle drank 12/15/16:
I guess I was wrong about there never being a repeat performance...
This bottle doesn't appear as dark as the one described above - more bright gold, though with a bit of haze.
This new one doesn't have the caramel malt of the first bottle either. A crisp, clean malt body instead. But still has the spicy hop profile dominating, though it's backed by dank and resinous hops to me tonight.
I would likely rate the newer bottle higher (though I won't change the entered rankings) - perhaps more in the line of 3.75. But the overall conclusion - that it just isn't my favorite, to say the least - still hasn't changed.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Nice looking beer. Great head that's almost too happy to be alive. You have to pour this one carefully. It's a slightly sandy head but very sticky. The first glass laced, the second glass left thick patches of foam stuck to the sides of the glass. I may need a scouring pad to clean the glass. The body is solid amber. It looks a little thin though. I don't mean pale, I've seen paler IPAs (Sweetwater IPA is more yellow and less red), just thin. The aroma is heavenly. Big fruity hops, a bit of sweetness, a very aromatic beer. The flavor is where things drop off. The rich hop profile thins out to mostly just a bitterness. It would have been nice if the juiciness had carried through from the aroma, but it didn't. The malt is seriously lacking. I got a glimpse at a nice caramel and biscuits malt at the first sip but then it was lost under the hops. It's not that the hops are really overpowering, it's just the malt backbone isn't there to hold it up. It makes the beer a bit thin. This is also a really dry beer. It's one thing in a lager like a pils to be dry, but I actually prefer my pale ales to be less dry. A little sweetness really helps to balance the hops and give a little character. If the flavor was as good as the appearance and aroma this would be an incredible beer. Still not bad though.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

[If you guys are actually paying attention to my reviews, I'm dicking around with general formatting. I think with this one I've found a good medium!]

Looks damn good in a glass, thanks to the thick, soapy head leaving a lot of lacing behind.

The aroma seems typical for a west-coast DIPA, yet this offers a defined piny edge that separates it slightly from the Ruinations of the world. It's also grassy from the hops, and maybe - just maybe - even a bit onion-esque. Not Mosaic onion...maybe Simcoe onion? There are touches of orange peel, but the dominating hop qualities are pine and dankness. Actually, it gets a bit weird-smelling after a while. Hey wait - I never mentioned the malt backbone! Oh yeah, that's there, I guess (now that's a compliment for a west-coast IPA, right there...)

It tastes similarly to the nose. I get some notes of dankness, pine, and onion to start. Flavors of sugar cookie and light caramel show up around the mid-taste, and a faint citrus note finishes it off. Everything comes together nicely - and I get used to the weirder hop notes eventually - there just isn't a whole lot to make it stand out from the pack.

It has a fairly typical feel, too: it's light and crisp to start, while the sweetness and body bulks up a little as more is consumed. Medium carbonation keeps things in check, at least.

Good, but I expected far more. Not just considering it's Alpine (post-GF merger be damned, their beer still rocks!), but because it's damn near $20 a 6 pack. Thank Jeepers I only got a single bottle - almost $20 should buy a beer that's beyond 'good'. In that regard, it's the first time Alpine has disappointed. I honestly don't see much reason to purchase this again (draught notwithstanding) when superior locals like Double Duckpin and Lot 6 exist on the shelves.

3.55/5: This long-time want ends up being another face in the crowd

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

On tap at the SD Toronado. This was my first try of anything from Alpine, a brewery I've wanted to taste for a long time. Good looking amber/golden in the pint glass with a wafty head and decent lace.

Refreshing pine and citrus smells radiate off the head. The malt is there, providing a good balance.

Awesome hop flavor, although a little subdued. Evergreen, pineapple and floral flavors mesh well with a sweet, malty backbone.

Good stuff but a little weak in the hop department. I want a DIPA to crack me in the face with hop flavor and aroma. This one fell just a little short. Very good, nonetheless.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a pretty golden-yellow color.

S: Obvious hop aromas but also kind of smelled like soap or potpourri.

T: Not sure if Alpine Beer Co. used a different kind of hops that I'm not familiar with/used to but it tasted too fruity and reminded me of soap. Almost the floral flavors you taste in belgian IPAs.

M: Hops flavor lingers on tongue for a while. Almost feels like a syrup consistency in throat post-swallow with a sharp aftertaste and stays with you.

D: Wasn't too fond of this beer but maybe because I'm just not used to the sweeter hops. Too fruity and sweet for my tastebuds.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle. Pours a deep orange/amber color with a nice 1 finger fluffy white head. Strong aroma of citrus and sweet malt. The taste is quite nice without being too hop overpowering. Very well balanced with what they call the "hop bite" and the end. More citrus rind hop flavors than pine. Lack of alcohol taste for being 8%. Mouthfeel is slightly off in my opinion as it seems like it should be slightly heavier. This isn't a bad beer by any means but I think I was expecting a little more out of it.

A-Light orange....not much head

S-I'd almost guarantee this bottle has some Nelson Sauvin or Summit in it...it's got that garlicy/herbal aroma up front backed by a smaller basic citrus (oranges/grapefruit)

T-Taste takes on a little citrus but the catty herbalness is still there...has a little of grapefruit peal on the finish...

M-Malt balances as this feels fine and not one sided but the malt never exerts....body is medium to full...a nice little bitterness on the finish but this is not a hugely bitter beer.

D-It's well made I just am not a big fan of the Nelson Sauvin/Summit hop flavors personally. Granted there are other hops at work here but that one or two stick out to me a little more than the others in this beer for some reason...decent enough but not great in my mind.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at west 4th and jane in santa monica.

This is very average. I don't understand the hype for Alpine ipas. Visiting from the east coast. They are all very pedestrian. I thought maybe I'd get authentic Alpine here. It isn't bad. But it isn't anything I'd get excited for either.

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

L - Amber with white head and some lacing
A - Pine, Resin and an underlying funk that for me is a bit unpleasant
T - Some pine, lots of grapefruit, funky after taste
F - pleasant medium body
I liked this beer, but may have been let down by my own expectations

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, light orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some fruits. Taste is pine, resin, malts are present, moderate bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good beer, but it didn't meet my expectations.

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can't see what all the fuss about this beer is all about!!! Looks great but very ordinary other aspects. Poured a clear golden/orange color with a big white head and thick bands of lacing on the glass. Head retention is excellent. Aroma is fairly weak, some mild grassy and piney hops. Didn't get much else out of it. Flavor is fairly average, piney and grassy hops, a little vegetable/onion (could they have used Summit hops which my taste buds hate?). The malt is the dry biscuity type. Mouthfeel isaverage, some bitterness and rich enough for the style. Nothing outstanding. Far from an outstanding beer!!!!

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

A solid DIPA and glad I tried it. A good balance of hops and malt. Sometimes the DIPA can have too much malt but this one is well balanced. Finishes clean with a warm alcohol feel after drinking. I'd drink it again. Cheers.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a hazy orangey pour with a finger of white foamy head which dissipated slowly and released some great lacing. smells of grapefruit citrus, caramel, bready malt. tastes slightly oxidized.. bready, light hints of hops (grapefruit, minty), subtle sweetness from the malts. medium body with high carbonation.

out of the 3 alpine beers i got (nelson, duet, and this) this is my least favorite and the only one i found had an oxidized flavor. even with the oxidized flavor, it is still a pretty good ipa.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter best By dare of April 16, 2015

A: excellent clarity light amber in color looks like a lighter bodied beer soapy head that drops to a film

S: very piney, resinous, light alcohol lots of that solvent pine smell,earthy and a little spicy

T: huge on the tongue a lot of the nose follows very piney, earthy, and just a touch of sweetness but super amounts of piney hops none of the alcohol the nose hints at appears in the taste

M: slick medium feel nice coat on the tongue

O: This is a tasty beer I think I was expecting a fruit bomb and this is 180 degree in the other direction. It is smooth and quite piney but I don't know if I would grab it again. Its just not a hop profile I like, but if you like SN's hop profiles you might love this.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

Apperance - This beer had a thick fluffy off white, creamy head, the beer itself nice bronze amber color with some honey tones about it.

Smell - Extremely fresh hop smell, hine of green apple peel, one hell of a fresh spring like smell, like the air outside smells when the seasons change from winter to spring, very floral fresh aroma.

Taste - Like most good quality IPA's the first thing you notice is the fresh hop tast, excellent citrus and pine flavors explore your palate. One dissapointing charactieristic that I found was that the flavor doesn't linger on the palate it dissappears very quickly after the sip This is why i gave the taste a lower score.

Mouthfeel - Very well carbinated, not a light beer but very medium bodied.

Drinkability - Hard to get beer here in Texas. Great IPA to try, highly recommend, very well balanced IPA easy to drink, very smooth, nice and refreshing, bring the spring season out from the cold.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

Aroma:Nice grapefruity hoppy aroma, with just a little bit of skunk. Sweet malt in the nose as well.

Appearance:Dark amber in color, nice white fluffy head, ok retention, very nice lacing.

Taste:The foretaste gives me a moderate amount of hops, but what I'm noticing more is the sweet malt backbone of this beer. On subsequent sips, the hope flavor does come through more, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the "mega hopped" description on the label. The hops are really interesting though, I'm getting some apricot/peach flavors, along with mint. The mint is what sticks around through the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:This beer has a low to medium body with good carbonation, and a delightful smoothness.

Drinkability:I was expecting more hop bite from this beer, but I ordered it online, so there's no telling how long it's been on the shelf. It did still have delicious and unique hop flavors.

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 8% ABV, no date.

A - Just like the other Alpine brews, Pure Hoppiness pours out a clear golden yellow color with a great head rising to two fingers. Good retention ends up as thick lace all over the glass.

S - Once again, the aroma is a little bit low and finally enters in with an unfortunate plastic and burnt rubber aroma. A bit of mango and a hint of onion ask the hops. What is going on in these two beers (Nelson included). A bit of malts in the background but its not appealing.

T - Again, most of the gross off-flavors in the nose disappear in the taste. This time the beer is better with a fairly strong pine and fruit profile that carefully lets a smooth toasted biscuit malt backing through.

M - Pure Hoppiness is medium-full-bodied and bold with a smooth but almost slick feel and a low-medium carbonation finish. Bitterness is balanced well on the finish with malty sweetness.

D - Decent drinkability, much better than Nelson, it goes down well and smooth with a nice finish. A drinkable double IPA that doesn't feel at all like a double IPA.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company