1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Maiden 2015 | Siren Craft Brew

sirencraftbrew.com

Style: American Barleywine

None provided.

3.71/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It costs a lot to find a barleywine that is worth the price.
Before I explain that, I will state the obvious: this is not an American barleywine, it does not have the typical hops. Maiden 2015 is what I'd expect from a British one... and it has been corrected in subsequent vintages.

That Said, Maiden 2015 is good enough... but can work on its value.
Many barleywines do not Look particularly good, and 2015 is no exception. But Smells are a different league; all the dried fruit I could hope for in a glass. Tastes are the same; an integrated ale that does not get syrupy... as the style can often get. It sits fine in the mouth, but then the 12% alcohol doesn't go away. (Oh well, can't have everything.)

My first from Siren Craft, I went on their site and see they are a very accomplished crafter. Lots of awards and lots of good marketing. I hope to have more from them before my career is over... and I hope for some of the lower-priced brews.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

2.32/5  rDev -41.9%

500 mL bottle. Deep amber. Smells like a big butter chardonnay barrel, brandy, oak, vanilla. Tastes of butterscotch, sharp alcohol, caramel malt. Dry oaky finish. Alcoholic and medium heavy. It's out there, but in a really messy way.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a goblet glass from the bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy amber color with medium bubbles and a head which is off-white maybe half a finger's length.

Smell: smell like raisins and wine with bits of scotch or bourbon. Sweet scent which becomes addicting. Little light which is my only knock.

Taste: Deep alcohol but mellow is that makes sense. Raisins are there might be maybe of a Pinot noir type of feel Infused with butterscotch candy.

Mouth: Supersticky candy feel with a lighter malt note at the end.

Overall: The dessert to my sampling that I had tonight. I love complexity and quality and this brew delivered both. Salud.

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent BA barleywine, strong but smooth, balanced malt power with a hint of hop brightness, subtle barrel tying it all together.

However... normally I'm not one to mention price, since it's entirely subjective and some people have money like I have dust on my furniture - too much of it, not sure what to do with it, will never run out - and I can see evidence of that at one of my local bottle shops where, if I were so inclined, I could put a bid on an auction lot of three bottles of wine for TWELVE THOUSAND FREAKING DOLLARS (and I would be one of FOUR bidders)... so with all those caveats I'll say:

It's not worth over $2.50 an ounce. If you already have a favorite barleywine or old ale (for example, North Coast old stock, or J.W. Lees, or Ola Dubh, or the spendy but still cheaper Mother of All Storms, or BA Bigfoot from Costco), you can stick with those and still die with a smile on your face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped you.

Or you can plunk down $30+ on a bottle of Siren Maiden. It is a really good beer!

4.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured into a snifter to a nice mahogany brown topped by a finger and a half of dense off light tan head that fades to a collar around the edge of the glass with minimal lacing
S: Smells of strawberries and caramel with some oak as well as some faint hints of vanilla. This is an interesting nose and it smells like the wine barrels may dominate. I really just want to keep smelling this beer.
T: Taste is toasted malts, dark fruits, toffee, caramel, and a little charred wood. Slight hints of tart red wine notes as well as strawberries with little bits of vanilla come in at times. The beer has a really nice oak influence throughout. Swallow is oak and toasted hazelnuts with some cocoa powder and caramel. There are also some dark fruits, vanilla and some spice notes toward the very end.
M: This beer is full bodied with a silky feel in the mouth. Carbonation is soft but adequate for the style and the beer has a drying finish.
O: This beer is absolutely insane. The complexity is off the charts and the flavors are great. This beer is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but I don't feel like I got ripped off. I can't find a fault with this beer at all but the tartness is a little concerning because it might be showing signs of infection.

Maiden 2015 from Siren Craft Brew