216 Dry Hopped Session Ale | Portside Distillery & Brewery

216 Dry Hopped Session Ale216 Dry Hopped Session Ale

Portside Distillery & Brewery
Ohio, United States
portsidedistillery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by RblWthACoz on 10-15-2013

Reviews by jampics2:
2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

I got a can of this at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland during the U2 concert. It poured a clear amber with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent had hints of hop bitterness. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

2.81/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

finishes very watery

1.94/5  rDev -43.8%

Color is fine, medium brown, but the bottle (bought yesterday from a refrigerated beer section) seems to have gone off. Aroma is sweet with an unwelcome funk (not sour, but something gone bad) and flavor is reminiscent of rotting basil. Body is overly sweet with not a lot of hops. Schoolboy's "bad tang" remark is spot on--there's either a quality control issue or this is really old (there's no "sell by" or "bottled" date) and the hops have degenerated. There's some interesting malt elements underneath the problems, but the bottle was so off I couldn't finish it. I'd love to support this brewery if they could get this issue worked out. I'll give it another try in a month or two.

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

3.54/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: Creamy looking off white head. Dark amber body. I am sure this one is much show. I am sure it is not as strong as it looks.
Smell: Some floral and citrus notes. I can already tell this is going to be underwhelming :(
Taste: I was right. A light floral and citrus taste. Perfume on my tongue. Like after you kiss a girl with perfume on her neck.
Feel: Watery.

Overall - I do not like lower ABV beers unless they are called Pseudo Sue or Hoppy Birthday. I wish people would stop sending me their leftover trash :)

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Uh, oh. I had two bottles of Portside I bought at Heinen's and neither were good. I want to hope there was something wrong with the bottling or handling - I doubt it was supposed to taste like this.

It starts slightly flat looking with medium sized bubbles. Yellow and somewhat cloudy. There is fizz, but only a little. The aroma is fresh hops dominated by a rotten organic smell. The taste similarly has a bad tang to it. There was a pale in there (you can tell that it might have been good) but now it's a zombie. The aftertaste thankfully does not linger too much.

So I got myself some bogus bottles at Heinen's. Two out of two were drain pours. I won't write this brewery off yet, but I won't buy any more bottles of their either.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +11.3%

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Kind of a middle of the road IPA for me. The taste was good if you like IPA's, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Lots of citrus as to be expected

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast