The Imperial Texan | Martin House Brewing Company

Texas, United States
martinhousebrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

A Double Red IPA

This is a heavy-duty 9% abv red ale with a profusion of hop flavor and aroma. This beer is as big and proud as Texas. Because we add almost two pounds of American hops per barrel very late in the beer making process, The Imperial Texan is able to retain a wondrously piney and resinous hop character that perfectly balances its smooth but strong and dry malt backbone. This beer has a sticky presence that puts each sip perfectly on the tongue.

The Imperial Texan was brewed to enjoy around a fire with close friends while reminiscing over the day’s killer mountain bike ride.

Added by tubeyes on 04-15-2013

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Truncated review. Expectations are low given the brewery, which has disappointed in the past. But I'm in the mood for a good red ale.

Reviewed live as a double red ale per the label. Served cold into a pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, TX. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Seven fingers wide. Khaki colour. Foamy. Frothy. Creamy. Full. Thick....it looks good, and the retention is excellent - 8 minutes at least. Leaves light spotty lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Translucent murky copper with paler hues. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it seems well-carbonated and looks fine for a red ale, albeit not as amber-hued as you might expect.

AROMA: Toasted malts, amber malts, some candied character, sweetness, floral hop notes, and musty herbal hops.

It's a pleasant aroma of average strength for a red ale. I'm looking forward to trying it.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

Has an aggressive hopping characteristic of an American ale.

TASTE: Toasted malt. Amber malts. Floral hop character. Caramel. Some bread crust.
cream. It's well-balanced and nicely built, but could use more complexity/intricacy and subtlety. Each constituent note is nice, and they do come together to form a cohesive whole, but it never feels gestalt; the whole is not more than the sum of its parts.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol, off-notes, or yeast character comes through.

I find it simplistic, but the balance keeps me coming back for more sips.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, medium-bodied, aptly thick, slightly overcarbonated, quenching, and approachable. Could be softer and creamier. Well-executed, albeit scratchy and a bit rough on the palate. It doesn't have any dragging coarseness, but it is a bit abrasive in the back of the throat.

This texture is a fine companion to the taste, but ultimately fails to elevate the beer.

OVERALL: A surprisingly well-crafted red ale from Martin House, The Imperial Texan surprises and delights. But let's not kid ourselves - it's far from a world-class brew, and isn't unique or special. Not toasty enough to be Irish, and not heavily hopped enough to be American, it idles in that in-betweeny bit between the two styles. But it's pleasant and worth trying. I owe this brewery more attention.

B-

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

The mighty JenRay comes through with one CAN after the other in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I CANnot thank her enough! I do my best to keep her plied with APAs, AIPAs, and DIPAs, but it CAN never match her CANtributions.

From the CAN: "Made in Texas by Texans"; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable (SM)".

With the Crack!, I salute the great Republic of Texas, which I actually prefer to its neighbor, Oklahoma. Murray and I had a blast in Houston on the Fourth of July, wowed 'em in San Antonio and parted company in Austin. I have been to Dallas, which is Ground Zero for us CANspiracy theorists and the Jurkowskis took me to El Paso. Texas, I drink your beer! I could not maintain the inverted Glug as it was a pounder CAN and I got a tad bit of overflow as it was. It settled into two fingers of dense, obstinate, tawny head that sat like an angry burro and defied anything to happen. Color was Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with a light haze to keep me guessing. Nose was great! Sweet malt was counterbalanced by pine hops for a mouthwatering melange. Mouthfeel was full, dense, thick and laid on my tongue like a dollop of cream. The hops were not playing around and immediately went to work, jackhammering my poor, tender tongue while its unsuspecting tastebuds were lollygagging around, enticed by the sweet, lovely malts. Before any defense could be mounted, the malts slipped away and the hooligan hops began beating on everything in their reach. It was a streetfight in my mouth! Just like the poor soul on the CAN's graphic label, I had not even broken leather and I was shot through the heart. Finish was so intense that I sat down heavily, watching as I bled out, fingers pressed over both my heart and mouth, trying to keep all of the precious liquids inside of me. I think that it was trying to send me a subtle (?) message to keep my dickskinners off of Texas' beers, but I know that they CAN only have my CANs when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. The sticky lacing that remained in its wake was as sticky as my blood, which now stained the streets of Fort Worth. I had been deemed unWorthy.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

04/22/2016

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16 oz tallboy pours a hazed reddish-copper color with a large cap of beige head that is fluffy and sticky.

Nose is sugared grapefruit, caramel, toast and pine sap. Good malt/hop balance.

Nice flow from leafy hops to a toffee malt middle and finishes long and bitter. Maybe a little more hop flavor on the front end would get this beer into the upper echelon of imperial red ales, but as is, it is a mighty fine brew. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a 4-pack for 12 bucks, but now am glad I did. Has alot going on and I cant see this one getting boring. Good stuff!

4.31/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Beer pours a nice red body with a half inch thick white head

S: A delicious smell of fresh hops hits me in the face. There is also a nice sweetness to it.

T: Tons of bitter hops and it tastes delicious in this style. It's almost more like and imperial IPA IMO.

M: Strong bit of carbonation on the back of the throat.

O: It's nice to finally have a nice beer from Fort Worth that's actually worth something... Take note Rahr.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%