The Imperial Texan | Martin House Brewing Company

martinhousebrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by tubeyes on 04-15-2013

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Strong flavor but stronger aftertaste is a downfall.

3.4/5  rDev -11%

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

on tap at the brewery (July 19, 2014)

L: Cloudy red-burnt orange, tan head, no stick or lace

S: full on grapefruit/pine assault -- super sweet

T: pine bitter, lots of it up front, then a bit of grapefruit taste; as it warms near the end, gets a little mango/caramel American DIPA taste going; sooo very bitter but no alcohol burn or taste anywhere

F: light and crazy drinkable for so much of a beer

O: Arrogant Bastard Texas style ... it's big, bitter, tasty, drinkable and a perfect finisher for a session because these hops here will lay waste to a palate.

ADDENDUM:
(poured from 12 oz. can into tulip, Nov. 25, 2016; canned on Nov. 11; I never rated the components, so here it is)

L: about 50/50 clear/misty with huge head of beige foam that is slide-sticking down the glass like melting ice cream; head holds on for a few minutes, and it's keeping a thick collar; color is indeed red with twinges of orange around the edges up to the light

S: same as at brewery

T: bitter ... pine, grapefruit but with a lot of biscuity malt sweetness

F: solid all around

O: it's as good as I remember, well made and probably holds up well over time

The mighty JenRay comes through with one CAN after the other in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I CANnot thank her enough! I do my best to keep her plied with APAs, AIPAs, and DIPAs, but it CAN never match her CANtributions.

From the CAN: "Made in Texas by Texans"; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable (SM)".

With the Crack!, I salute the great Republic of Texas, which I actually prefer to its neighbor, Oklahoma. Murray and I had a blast in Houston on the Fourth of July, wowed 'em in San Antonio and parted company in Austin. I have been to Dallas, which is Ground Zero for us CANspiracy theorists and the Jurkowskis took me to El Paso. Texas, I drink your beer! I could not maintain the inverted Glug as it was a pounder CAN and I got a tad bit of overflow as it was. It settled into two fingers of dense, obstinate, tawny head that sat like an angry burro and defied anything to happen. Color was Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with a light haze to keep me guessing. Nose was great! Sweet malt was counterbalanced by pine hops for a mouthwatering melange. Mouthfeel was full, dense, thick and laid on my tongue like a dollop of cream. The hops were not playing around and immediately went to work, jackhammering my poor, tender tongue while its unsuspecting tastebuds were lollygagging around, enticed by the sweet, lovely malts. Before any defense could be mounted, the malts slipped away and the hooligan hops began beating on everything in their reach. It was a streetfight in my mouth! Just like the poor soul on the CAN's graphic label, I had not even broken leather and I was shot through the heart. Finish was so intense that I sat down heavily, watching as I bled out, fingers pressed over both my heart and mouth, trying to keep all of the precious liquids inside of me. I think that it was trying to send me a subtle (?) message to keep my dickskinners off of Texas' beers, but I know that they CAN only have my CANs when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. The sticky lacing that remained in its wake was as sticky as my blood, which now stained the streets of Fort Worth. I had been deemed unWorthy.

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%