DieselPunk Porter | Überbrew

3.37/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.68/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brewer notes 35 IBU

Served from the tap at the brewpub in downtown Billings MT.

Appears very dark brown, not quite black. thin off white head that fades. Aroma is mild roastiness, not really any hops flavor. Taste is a bit bitter from coffee and cocoa flavors, a little smokiness too. Medium body, with higher carbonation. works for the beer, nice easy drinking session style brew.

2.44/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a four pack of Uberbrew's DieselPunk Porter a few days ago for $4.49 at Krogers. I have never heard of this brewery, they just kind of popped up out of nowhere which makes me think that they might be owned by one of the big three brewery's. It's been a little while since I have had a Porter, so let see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the way the can looks, it's got a real Steampunk look to it that goes with the name nicely, it does a good job at sticking out. It poured a darker maroon color that took on a nice crimson hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, the head and lacing were pretty good looking, but the color was just a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness that has a sweet malt like aroma to it that's followed by a caramel malt aroma with hardly and roasted aromas. Up next I get a doughy yeast aroma and a slight bit of dark fruits. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty sweet with pretty much no roasted aromas, it's not too Porter like.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a sweet and stale malt flavor with hardly any toasted flavors with caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast and a molasses like flavor. On the finish there's some noticeable hops with a slightly higher amount of lighter bitterness with a slightly toasted and stale malt like aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that good, the flavors wasn't that true to style with the roasted malts only showing up in the aftertaste.

M- Fairly smooth, s little watery, crisp, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that felt a little prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't true to style, it felt too watery with some out of place prickly carbonation.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and it was a pretty poor example of an American Porter since hardly any aspects of this beer were true to style, if i didn't know what style of beer this was I don't think I would guess this was an American Porter, it tastes more like a shitty Black Ale. This beer barely had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth and none of the flavors were offensive, but the flavors did a poor job at holding my attention and one pint is more than enough for me, no way I would want another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty good, the color was a little light, but the head and lacing were pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was how untrue to the style it was, hardly anything about this beer makes me think of an American Porter. I wouldn't buy this again and I'm a little pissed that I bought a four pack of this, it was pretty damn cheap for a four pack of pint cans but I guess I got what I paid for and more than likely the rest of cans will go for cooking, I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer at all, it was a pretty poor example of the style. I'm not sure about this brewery, the more I drink this beer the more I think this is just a way for one of the big guys to get in the craft beer scene. Better go back to the drawing board guys, this beer sucks.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.25 A: Clear dark brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is good and glass covering lacing is left.

3.75 S: This smells a lot like amaretto and hazelnut coffee. Fairly sweet and roasty with caramel and toastiness. Smells quite nice, but doesn't have a lot of depth.

3.25 T: The taste is good, but like the nose it lacks depth. Roasty with hints of chocolate, caramel, hazelnut, and coffee.

2.75 M: Lighter body. The carbonation is a bit aggressive, but it's okay. Lacking body and creaminess.

3.0 D: It's okay, but nothing to go crazy over.

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Black with traces of ruby red/tan. 1/4 creamy head with some nice lacing.

Smell - Roasted malts, brown sugar/molasses. Coffee, some dark chocolate. Classic nutty aroma mixed with some raisin and plum at the finish.

Taste - Well, it looks good, smells good, now on to the taste. First sip has a grape/raisin/plum fruity flavor. The malts are the backbone but im surprised because of the smell, its not sweeter. The coffee aspect is also not as strong as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Dark fruits coat the tongue with some sweetness. Malts, and mild coffee come out on the palate. Aftertaste is watery, light malts and some dark fruits.

Overall - This isn't bad at all. Not the coffee/chocolate porter flavor that most have but, this is smooth, flavorful and easy to drink. Would be a fine starter porter for anyone, or for a change of pace. For the price, I think was 7.99$ a 6er, its worth the price but I can get great lakes Edmond Fitzgerald for 8.99$, which is a far superior porter.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%