Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,357 |  Reviews: 1,877
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I got three bottles at De Bierkoning, a great beer store in Amsterdam. I drank the first one while sitting along a canal outside of the apartment that my wife and I rented for our short stay. Great environment to say the least.

Poured into a La Trappe glass that I purchased at the same store.

A. Poured a beautiful dark auburn with a small tan like head.

S. The aroma may have been the best part. The smell reminded me of raisins and over ripe plums. I also got a hint of alcohol along with some yeast in the nose.

T. The taste was a composite of dried and undried fruit (raisins, cherries, plums, and prunes) and molasses. I also thought that it had a good amount of carbonation. At the end I felt some warming alcohol flavors.

F. More carbonation than I am used to for this style of beer. I liked that.

D. Almost scarry how drinkable this beer is. At over 10% abv this beer could do damage fast.

I drank all three of my bottles on my trip so I doubt that I will have another anytime in the near future. So I must ask the question; is this the best beer in the world? It was great. But I think that I like Rochefort 10 a little better.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Nice chestnut colour in glass, wht brwn to peach edges. Head is smooth tan, three fingers on the pour, but falls to about 1 1/2.

Smell is bready, sligtly medicinal- but its not unpleasant. A little hop note here, but not overpowering.

Nice alcohol notes up front, nutty and roasty. Very smooth. A bit of sweetness and spice at the end. Lovely.

The mouthfeel is just slightly oily- with a low, very tight carbonation.

I hate to just rubber stamp this as amazing...but dangit, it is!

Be well
-UF

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Big thanks to billinlafayette for this one! Dated 08.09.11 on the cap. Served from bottle into a Chimay goblet. Pours a deep dark brown with an off-white two finger head with a dusting of brown sediment on the top. Maintains phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of fruit, bread, alcohol, and malt. The flavor is of malt, bananas, alcohol, biscuits, citrus, and bread. It is medium on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is excellent in all aspects. The complexity of this one is truly INSANE. The appearance is awesome as well. This one sample makes me want to book a flight to Belgium and drink more... The hype is true.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

For a quad, the appearance of this was a bit light. Previously i had the rochefort 10 and was used to a VERY dark trappist quad

I rented a car in Paris France so i could drive up to Belgium for the sole purpose of getting this beer. Luckily my wife(we were on our honeymoon) was quite happy to join me on this excursion. I can say that with the build up of the then top beer advocate rating i was not even slightly disappointed once i was able to taste this exceptional beer.

This put every trappist that is available in the states to shame. I did a side by side comparison when i got home and the old favorites paled up against the Westy.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

My soon to be brother in law brought back a few bottles of this from Amsterdam and invited me over for a surprise.

A - Split the bottle into two servings. Poured into chimay goblets. Very hazy, dark copper. Light tan headed retained well but not as thick as expected for style. Possibly due to splitting among two servings.

Smell - Very evident bread smell, like a fresh cooked raisin bread. There is a subdued alcohol smell. And then into fruits raisin and plum, very sweet fruit.

T - Perfection. It is so well balanced, one note blends into the next, I cant describe whats happening. It starts off with a bread pudding, then into sweet plum notes finishing off with just a hit of hops leaving me in a state of nirvana

M - Deceptive. I feel Like I could inhale the entire glass. But there is a full body and lots of carbonation.

O - Perfection. This is the most complex beer yet so perfectly balanced. The malt and hops are transformed into something completely unworldly.

I can now die a happy man.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Heavenly. I took my reviewing cap off for this one and just simply enjoyed so I don't have a lot of descriptives here, but I recall a dominant fruit that I couldn't quite pinpoint (figs?) and an overall sweetish finish (maybe the heavy use of dark candi sugar). As a treat every now and again, it's worth every penny.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours dark brown with a foamy white 2 inch head.

Smells - like a grape juice. I don't know how else to explain this other than welchs grape juice.

Taste - follows the nose to a T. Super fruity grapes and furctose sugar. A hint of bitterness from grapes citric acid.

Overall - super smooth and easy to drink. I concur on the hype to this. Super smooth and savory!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this at "In de Vrede" cafe near the Sint-Sixtus Abdij in Vleteren, Belgium, after taking a 2-hour train ride from Brussels to Ieper and biking for 20 km.

Appearance: A gorgeous dark, syrupy brown with a thin head; served in a silver-rimmed Westvleteren goblet.

Smell: Strong hints of chocolate, coffee, and overall sweetness. Also faint notes of dates and caramel.

Taste: Incredibly complex. Fresh-made italian espresso, bitter chocolate (>85% cacao), dates, raisins, figs, slight butterscotch, toffee candy sweetness pervade this extraordinary brew. The complexity masks its high alcohol content all too well. Goes down smooth and slightly sticky, leaving behind an almost oily film. The mouthfeel is like nothing else.

Overall notes: This is by far the best beer I've ever tasted, and completely worth any pilgrimage to sample it.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Westvleteren 12 Trappist has a thin, fizzy, off-white head and an opaque brown (orange-brown, under light) appearance, with tiny bubble streams and rather minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is of fruity, sweet red wine and possibly some malt. Taste is of figs, raisin, dates, zingy yeast, bready malts, and just the slightest hint of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, and one gets a tingle on the tongue from the bitterness. Westvleteren 12 finishes very dry, crisp, and highly drinkable. Overall, it really is a perfect beer! I beg you to try it!

RJT

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I picked up a bottle of this fine stuff yesterday. The cap had a computer-generated date of 14.01.06 marked on it, and the beer was $8.79.

The beer poured a nice deep brown color with hints of dark red. A two-finger head -- a light/medium tan -- from the pour settled into a 1/4" ring that clung to the glass for a while and finished off at about 1/8". The flavor was big and complex, and I noted roasted almonds/walnuts, some high-cocoa dark chocolate (i.e. Lindt 85%), some coffee (particularly the sweet Thai-style ice coffee), and some savory, dried fruits -- mostly raisins/figs/dates. The alcohol was never overpowering.

The mouthfeel was fantastic. light to moderate on the carbonation, warm, and sweet, which really opened up the senses to the huge flavors. I also noted a medium to long finish.

To sum it up, this is a phenomenal beer. I really enjoyed it on its own (several hours after a meal), and I plan to drink it that way again to really take advantage of its complexity and craftsmanship. The cost is a factor, but the overall experience is worth the price of admission. I will definitely buy this beer again.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

08, this was poured at the end of a long tasting, but damn did it stand out.
Poured into glasses, three-ways. Beautiful appearance, nice head retention.
The nose was amazing, very complex of dried and tropical fruits, caramel, sweet Belgium yeasts. I smelled the glass for about 10 minutes without even taking a sip.
Taste was transferred from the nose. Smooth, delight, and complexity danced on my tongue. Truly the best beer in the world hands down. Mouth feel was perfect, I was in heaven.
I wish I had several cases of this, I swear it would turn peoples notion about beer. Truly exceptional, to be brewed only by the divine. I can't wait to open up the other bottles further down the road.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

So lucky to try this beer on a trip to Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweeden.
Poured from bottle into Westvleteren Chalice. Poured a deep chestnut brown with slight deep red hue on edges. Slight bit of off-white head.
Smell is fantastic. Great dried fruit, chocolate, fig, booze, and roasted malt aromas. Taste was truly amazing. All the aromatic elements showed up here...but it was the balance of a slight chocolate and dried fruit flavors and the high boozyness that really made this just so tastey. Amazingly smooth, but noticeably strong. Its as if this wasnt even beer, but an entirely different beverage all together.
Price paid - roughly $40 USD, but more than worth the price for this beer; which is rightfully one of the best beers in the world.

Trappist Westvleteren 12

Appearance: Medium brown, some good lacing, and a small head.

Smell: Raisins, dates, other dark fruits, and some very slight brown sugar.

Taste: Raisins, dates, other dark fruits, subtle brown sugar sweetness, and subtle malts.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth medium light.

Overall:
Beautiful balance. The fruit flavors are nearly perfect. It does have a slight alcohol tinge near the end.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I never thought I was going to be able to drink this beer, and then I don't really enjoy Quads all that much, so I was stoked to hear I was going to have it, but fearful I wouldn't like it.

You have to be brain dead to not like this beer. It was a religious experience, it smelled like a church, tasted like heaven and had the body of the Holy Trinity. But if you're reviewing this beer i'm not telling you anything you don't know. Not sure how you get much better than this...

'05 bottle...
Appears a deep mahogany color with a beautiful 1/2" beige head that slowly fades out. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of candy sugar, raisins, brown sugar, and some black grapes.
Taste is of sweet brown sugar, rich malt, vanilla, raisins, nuts, and dark fruits.
Mouthfeel is lingering with chewy, malty sweetness, lip numbing stickiness, but very much balanced with the malt and hops melding together for a superb finish.
The ABV is well hidden.
I had this next to a 15 year old bottle of Westy 12 and while the older bottle was more complex(and mildly oxidized), the fresher bottle's flavors and mouthfeel outdid the elder bottle.

Edit 11/25/06: I just popped a 3 year old bottle received in a trade from prop13. This one seemed near flawless. I had it side by side with a Rochefort 10 and it slightly edged out the Rochefort by a hair with it's smoothness, gentle hopping, and a boozy brandy-esque enjoyability. Heaven in a bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle brought back by me from a trip to Belgium in September of 2008. Date on the cap 17.10.10

Look: Dark brown in color with a lighter shade of brown cleaning up the edges. 1/2 inch tan head and great retention

Smell: Notes of dark fruit raisin and grapes come to mind backed up by a touch of funky a yeast and just a wiff of alcohol

Taste: Just amazing fruit flavors on the palate. Raisins and figs lead the way and are just amazing. The middle carries a quite a bit of grape flavor that is a potent due to the aging. The backend has some nice spice notes from the yeast. As the beer warms up you get a bit of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I aged this one just over 3 years and celebrated the birth of my daughter with this beer and I must say this is just a Perfect Quad.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

How do you review this beer? How do you rate a beer that many people believe to be the best beer in the world? With all the hype surrounding this beer and all the anticipation, (including the price tag), I had very high expectations. I was almost expecting to be disappointed as this beer has been pedestalled as "the holy grail" of beers. Truth is; it is deservingly in a league of its own.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color with a nice beige head that fades into a frothy cap and an attractive halo. It was surprising the head and lacing on a 10.2% ABV beer.

Smell: The aroma is complex and sweet. Dark fruits like plums, figs and dates are all interwoven into a truly enticing aroma that smells only like Trappist Westvleteren 12 (Yellow Cap)! I was surprised at the amount of floral character this beer displayed.

Taste: The taste can only be described as tasting like Trappist Westvleteren 12 (Yellow Cap)! It is completely unique. There is a tartness surge on the front end, then a very mellow smooth silky vinous middle with caramel flavors that lead into what I might try to liken to figs and dates and toasted brown sugar malts; but it is really so well blended that is hard to isolate individual flavors. In the aftertaste, there is again a yeasty tart that maybe be similar to a splash of green apple, and a bit of alcohol warmth. I love the stinging character on the lips. It is not clear what causes that spicy stinging sensation (maybe the acidity) but it begs you to drink more. Truly though, I can only describe this as being in a league of it's own!

Mouthfeel: Super freaking smooth and so creamy it is sinful! It is light and perfectly carbonated to be full and easy to drink at the same time.

Drinkability: Absolutely dangerous. I was pleased to share this beer with a couple of close friends, but I must say, a beer this big may never go down so easily! Is a $300 case out of the question? If it fits in your budget, absolutely go for it; you won't regret it. It goes down so dangerously easily its indescribable. Until next time someone shares a Westy 12 with me, I will keep a special place in my heart for this spectacular gem.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer looked much like a cloudy root beer that picked up some straw towards the edges, but had a mossy green halo around the edges when held to the light. Also, there were a few flecks floating around. The dirty off white head looked a little like my carpet with uneven bubbles creating a pleasantly chaotic surface that didn’t last for all that long.

Smelled of salty, flakey pastry that was creamy and doughy. Also included ideas of gooey cookie and/or bread dough with a sweet musky honey. Hell, it could even smell like baklava if you squinted right. There’s also some fruity notes of figs, cherries and plumbs. I was really astonished (as if I wasn’t impressed by now) by the “residual alcohol suggestion” where my mind pointed out where the 10.2% should be, but my nose could only pick up its shadow. Very nice indeed.

Tasted of creamy, milky caramel then picks up a pleasant tingly sensation that blossoms into an amazing syrup, peaches and pecans. Then there are also some playful light nips of hop that roll around my tongue, back and forth re-releasing little hints of a milky bread dough, honey and nuts in between the suppressive drops of dryness. Finishes like the pastry from the smell with some honey. As I exhale, I get an amplified, brilliant doughy yeast.

The mouth feel is light to medium and creamy with a brilliantly paired sandy feeling carbonation. Perfect!

What can I say? This one’s in a class of its own. Thanks to blitheringidiot for this one!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Reviewing this beer is a momentous occasion in my life. A bottle was purchased for me from eBay, and sent from the Netherlands. My friends did this for me as a graduation present, and I am again very thankful.

The bottle cap reads 22.11.09, which I understand is the "expiration date," three years after the bottling. So, this is a fairly new bottle.

I pour the beer into my Westvleteren goblet, which has been in my possession for a year or more, awaiting this moment. Carefully decanting, the ale raises a creamy, light tan two-finger head. It seems to fall at a fairly fast rate, but when the majority of large bubbles have burst, it settles to a thick and creamy one-finger layer. The head retention is simply fantastic; it resembles that of a nitro stout. The beer leaves almost no lacing as I move the head about the glass before taking my first sip, as if it's quite heavy. Throughout the whole glass, there's virtually no trace of lacing on the sides. The beer's body is dark brown, but yields up ruby-copper light when directly back lit.

The nose has a dark fruity scent that I pick up in a lot of other Belgians, but there's also a bit of toasted caramel and a touch of acidity mingled with the fruit. I'm even reminded of a less sweet pecan pie, although I can't 100% support this claim, it just feels right. There's also a noticeable grape aroma. I admit that I would prefer this to be stronger, but my sense of smell has always been weak. A great blend of scents, though. I read in another review about the odor of earth, and I didn't notice it at first. But, as the beer approached room temperature, I could pick it up. Very interesting and complex, this beer, which has me raising the nose from a 4.5.

The taste is heady, woody, a bit acidic, and has fruit flavors lead by grape. In some ways, it tastes like a red wine with an incredible body. There are even elements of wood that are in the same vein as a Shiraz, but more balanced with the other taste components. It has a sweetness to it that lasts the whole way through, leaving its mark on my lips. The hops have a metallic feel to them, akin to what I've tasted in every altbier I've had. However, the hops are not overbearing as they often are in alts. I swear I smell caramel, but I only notice a bit of toastiness here. At the very end of the aftertaste, there lingers just a slight sourness, which is indeed pleasant. The taste has a lightness to it, despite its complexity. Oh, and as I said earlier, it's heady, but not in a painful way, just noticeable. By the way, pouring in what little yeast there was didn't make a noticeable difference in the flavor.

The body, the mouth of Westy 12, is truly balanced. For a quadrupel, it is more like a rapier than a claymore. The mouth is of medium thickness, with fine carbonation that just livens up the liquid. It moves easily in the mouth..

Having had Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12, I can say that this is far and above the champion. It has complexity without being overpowering, and drinkability without too much weight. It's an elegant beer that I'm overjoyed to have been afforded the chance to try.

As I said above, this beer, as a gift, might force me to rate it above its true worth. I worried about that a bit, but Westy 12 lives up to all of the hype. A marvel of brewing. Plus, it adds to the pride of being Catholic just a bit more!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I'm very lucky/thankful to have a chance to try this beer. Pours a deep brown with an inch of foamy off-white head on top. This beer is not black but you can't see anything through the glass. Lots of lacing on the sides of my glass as I lift it to drink. I love the smell of the Belgian yeast in this beer, it smells like a really sweet apple cider. Lots going on with the flavor of this beer but I taste lots of sugary apple flavored yeast. There are also some slight hints of dark fruit and a nutty finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but with a "lively" feeling of carbonation. There is hint of alcohol in the aftertaste. Everything about this beer was great, and with the exception of the mouthfeel I hardly noticed any of the alcohol presence. I would drink this again or consecutively if it were readily available.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Well, here we go. I got this in a trade with miketd. Thanks Mike! I have been wanting to have my own bottle of this for a long time. Wrote this review doing a slight side-by-side tasting with midaszero, his was brand new, and mine is 3 years old - I believe.

11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

Date on the cap reads 13.09.08

Appearance - Pours a deep burgundy from the bottle. It is transparent on the verge of translucent. Brownish with garnet hues. It has great head retention. It produced a 1 finger head that slowly dissipated to a thick crown on the surface of the glass. It leaves moderate lacing behind on the glass.

Smell - The smell is amazing. There is a lot going on in this brew. I can smell sweet notes of chocolate, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar. There are dark fruit notes of fig, cherry, plum, raisin, along with hints of red apple. There is a hint of spice as well - ginger and cinnamon. There is a hint of booze that peaks through, but it is pretty well hidden for 10.2% ABV. Very floral and wispy - hints of cherry blossom and lavender.

Taste - The taste is pretty amazing too. It is extremely complex and deep. It is very similar to the smell. There are the same notes of chocolate, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar. The bready notes from the malt are much more prevalent in the flavor than they are in the scent. The dark fruit notes come through in a nice balance with the malt notes and candi sugar. Raisin, fig, and cherry are the primary fruit flavors that peak through, intermingling with the spice flavor of cinnamon. There is a very distant floral hop note that comes through at the end of the flavor, providing an extremely slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel - This mouthfeel is perfect. The brew is full bodied and sticky. It coats all of the mouth and stays there. There is a perfect level of carbonation here - just enough to cut through the body and keep the brew feeling interesting. Incredibly smooth, creamy and velvety.

Drinkability - This beer is perfectly drinkable. I didn't want it to live up to the hype, but it did. It is a fantastic beer. I don't know if I could point at a beer and call it the best in the world, but this is one of the most well-crafted beers out there. Even at 10.2%ABV, I could session this beer. It would be a mainstay in my beer rotation if it didn't require giving up shares of my soul to acquire it.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Drank this last Christmas Eve after service.

Smelled of dark fruits, dark bread, leather, and cherries.

Some sediment, but who cares, it's the 12!

Malty but finishes dry, sweet like dark candi sugar, spicy, caramel, dark fruit, mild coffee.

Tight bubbles in carbonation.

Prefer the Younger as my top beer, but this rocks. Can't wait to try this one day fresh at the Abbey.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

330ml bottle bought from onlyfinebeer.co.uk.... best before date of October 2005... poured into a Westvleteren chalice...

Poured a very murky deep browny red colour with some dark coppery tinges - also quite a few floaties... Creamy tan head poured fairly thick and rocky then faded quickly to very light layer... No real carbonation to speak about... some light sticky lacing...

Aroma - Where to start !!! Strong dark, alcohol soaked, fruits (raisins, figs, prunes and blackcurrents were some of ones i could make out), strong toffee maltiness, loads of treacle/honey sweetness, ginger bread, christmas cake spices, some light rum notes, nutmeg, some faint aniseed notes, yeasty/bready, peppery, some light hops coming through the maltiness... outstanding...

Taste – Strong spicy fruits (definite raisins, figs and prunes), strong warming alcohol, roasted malts, molasses and treacle sweetness, malt loaf, quite strong Belgian yeastiness, light aniseed, peppery, some light medicinal notes, spicy / peppery hops cut through the sweetness, ginger spiciness.... again outstanding...

NOTE - Towards the end i poured the last few yeasty dregs from the bottom of the bottle into the glass - this just seemed to concentrate the flavours even more...

Feel - Very smooth and creamy with some light sharpness after a few seconds... full bodied... unbelievably drinkable considering this is at least 10.2%...

Overall - Believe the hype !!! This is without doubt the finest beer i've had the pleasure of sampling so far... Outstanding and highly recommended.... Thankfully i still have 2 bottles tucked away for another day !!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Just when you thought you could not find a better beer than luck finds it's way to your cellar. The deep color, and a somewhat translucent brown-red. Love the Belgian scent. Ripe raisins and sugar plums. If subtle is grand then here is the Marshall. A fine long finish, with a beautiful blend of harmonic complexity. The yeast is just a thing of perfection ! A great beer that is hard to find but worth the effort.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

From my tasting notes (tasted on 1/14/04); How lucky was I to find a case of this in PA. Expensive but well worth it! Poured a beautiful dark mahagony with a small tan head. Initial aromas of maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses and fruits.Soft tastes (sugar, fruits, molasses, prunes, dates, so many tastes coming thru). Alcohol content well hidden. I can't say/put into words the depth and greatness of this beer.