Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,360 |  Reviews: 1,877
4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

went on a beer tour in brussels and they kept talking about this beer as the holy grail over there. at the end of the tour, the guide took a few of us to his local bar where he knows they had a case of these for sale. We tried a few other "copies" as he called it on the tour, but this by far was the best beer i had while there. Just as the pic shows, it was a plain brown bottle and he advised us to keep the cap as evidence we have actually had this elusive beer. Its an online lottery system to get the beer from the abbey, and you need to submit your license and license plate number and show up without one of the two and they will not sell you the beer. crazy.

4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this at a tasting where I had no way to write down the experience. I remember tasting it and fully expecting it to be a normal Belgian Quad, as I had tried so many of the easier to obtain versions of the style (and some of them are so damn good). I had read before that the hype around Westvleteren was truly just that: Hype. Only because of the rarity did people say it was better than the others. I try to not buy into hype. But then I tasted it, and it truly was special. There was something different, a yeasty note which I have never tasted elsewhere. I later bought a Westy 8 in Belgium and opened it with the guy who let me try his bottle of XII, and it had the same "special" character.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is so complex that I could have it again and different aspect would prevail. I had this with my best beer bud, Cervezango, while sitting in Brussels. This beer was a somewhat dark brown with a little ruby. The head was nice and creamy, a little off white. The smell sweet, herbal, toasty, caramel, alcohol, malty for sure. The taste as complex as the smell. The high alcohol isn't as strong as it would seem. This beer has it all. Creamy feel. I could review this again every day and probably not get board. I paid about $15 for one bottle, and I don't even regret it.

4.61/5  rDev 0%

HUGE thanks to yesac for sending me this without setting up a trade, or wanting anything in return. youll get yours buddy, dont worry. 11.2oz bottle with no label and the famous yellow cap with 19/11/11 on it.

A- this pours a murky dark brown with a finger of thick looking cream colored head that lasts a while and leaves a solid ring on the sides of my glass. cant ask for anything more.

S- sweet malts first and foremost. lots of fruits. raisins/tobacco, figs, plums, grapes, and maybe a bit of apple. some alcohol odor comes through.

T- sweet caramel and toffee malts. lots of ripe dark fruit. cherries, raisins/tobacco, plums, figs and grapes. a hint of alcohol, that adds to the experience. extremely complex and leaves me wanting another sip immediately after i finish one.

M- light, fluffy, and highly carbonated which i was expecting for the style. what i wasnt expecting was how smooth this one was going to be.

4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev 0%

Enjoyed this at "Le Bier Circus" in Brussels served in it's proper chalice on June 16, 2003.

While having little in the way of aroma (my only complaint), this beer proved to be exceptional. The medium-dark body and semi-thick consitancy amused me as I gently swirled in my glass. You would never guess this beer is 10,2%. Even my fruit-lambic (Lindemann's, Mort Subite, New Glarius) loving wife thought that this beer was a stand out.

Brought two Abt 12's, One Westy 8, and two Blondes home from Belgium. Can't wait to have it again!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

33cl bottle into a snifter, dated 18.01.15, so it should be about a year old

A: Pours a deep amber color, a tad lighter than expected for the style. Three fingers of foam developed quite quickly, a bit prickly, but with pretty good retention. Lacing is good.

S: Spices are most evident in this beer, moreso than I'm used to for the style - orange bitters, licorice, and cardamom. A strong, malty sweetness helps balance this spiced aroma with prunes and plum. Very well balanced.

T: Sweeter than expected from the aroma, I get a strong plum flavor to start. Prunes quickly come in after that with a fairly strong caramel sweetness. The caramel and dark fruits play well off each other. The spiciness from the aroma is also in the flavor, balancing the sweetness. I get mostly cardamom with a bit of peppercorn.

M: Medium bodied for the style with slightly stronger than average carbonation. This beer was very easy to drink.

O: This beer was consumed in about ten minutes. Even while reviewing, it just went down so quickly, even while picking out all the complexities present. This is a complex, yet quaffable beer that begs you to keep drinking more. Good thing I have three more on order.

4.61/5  rDev 0%

Had this over a year ago but I finally decided to not be lazy and keep up with some old reviews. This was also apart of blind quad tasting.

Severed in Chimay chalice it produces about 2 fingers width of white fluffy head that disappears somewhat quickly the color is a outstanding dark chestrnut brown. The smell is very faint I pick up the Belgium yeast, a boozy smell and very faint caramel sweetness. The first sip is amazing, where I was let down by the smell the taste blew me out of the water. Great caramel/molasses flavor, nice dark fruit like raisins or figs, and that great Belgium yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is prefect great balance between the carbonation and the body. Overall this was one of my favorite beers I had, the 10% alc was extremely well hidden in the taste. This is a dangerous beer if I could get my hands on it more often I would drink this all the time.

4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to hopdog and unclejimbo who each were kind enough to help bottles of this brew find themselves in my possesion.

The bottle I am trying has no label, I presume it was purchased in Belgium.

Appears to be a bowl full of liquid raisins, dates and figs. Smells sweet and of plums. Tastes sweet, malt, caramel, spice all wrapped up in one succinct, perfect brew. Nice tingly carbonation.

More than lives up to is status as a very special beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this beer with me. This is beer No. 1,000 for me. I wanted to do something special but had no idea thirdeye11 was going to break out a bottle of this. Thanks a ton.

Pours a medium brown with a beige head. The aroma is dark fruit along with some alcohol and caramel malt. The flavor is complex with brown sugar and dark fruit. This has a little more alcohol flavor than some quads but everything is nicely balanced. Medium mouthfeel and extremely drinkable.

Not sure if this is the best beer in the world, but there are certainly no flaws. Thanks again to thirdeye11.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Finishing 2010 off with my buddy SpinRSX and the worlds #1 beer!

Appearance - beer pours a dark brown murky like in appearance, very hard to tell any carbonation levels due to the 0 clarity. The head produced a nice brown based foamy head, that had some good volume to it. The head stuck around for a good duration too.

Smell - I found this to be a very dynamic smelling beer, right upfront i was able to pick up some green apples, followed by a hint of grapes. There was almost, buried a little deeper, some dark fruits, possible raisin like in smell.

Taste - Dark tones right off the top, followed with some sweetness but as well raisins. The end produced a little hop with some bitterness. I found the alcohol was well hidden. One thing i noted, there where signs of a "dry" fruit to this beer.

Mouthfeel - the carbonation levels increase and the deep raisin taste. As well, i found as the beer warmed the alcohol came fwd a bit more. This is where i was able to pick up a hint of sweetness, very nice.

Drinkability - SpinRSX and i had this debate, but i think this is a well rounded beer and brings complexity to the menu. This is something that was more of an investment and a sample, but if i could drink it daily i would love too.

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

330ml bottle with the best by date of 30.08.09 printed on the yellow cap. This is my first time having this particular beer so I figured there is no better time to try it than to help ring in the new year. The smell is extremely aromatic and is simply fantastic! There are a lot of dark malty fruits (plums and raisins), Belgian yeast and bread. The taste is slightly spicy malt, fresh dark bread and a lingering warming from the alcohol. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with medium-low carbonation. No doubt that this is certainly a world class beer that is extremely well crafted. Now that I have had both the 12 and 8, I actually enjoy the Westy 8 even more than it's big brother.

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%

i acquired this bottle in a trade with leftmindedrighty and waited until today to drink it with a buddy who has been overseas for a while. We enjoyed this while brewing an old ale.
Looks good, dark with a light head that stays with the beer and laces the glass with a sticky film
Smells good. Lots of complexity in the nose, as well as the distinct alcohol
Tastes great. Loads of alcohol, the right balance of malt and hop, and a spicy flavor from miscellaneous ingredients
Mouthfeel is a winner again. Very smooth, with a coating from the alcohol
Drinkability is very good considering the strength