Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,357 |  Reviews: 1,877

THANKS WES!

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice. 21.05.11 stamped on the cap.

A: A deep red mohogany colour. A very tan head with tight bubbles. A lot of sediment in this particular bottle.

S: Raisins, dates, dark cherries, honey, malty goodness accented with vanilla. I cannot stop sticking my nose in the glass.

T: The dark fruits, sweetness of the malts and a fantastic spice. Caramel, caramelized brown sugar and a hint of vanilla are next followed by the alcohol in a very subtle way. So complex and delicious.

M: Very smooth and creamy. The warming sensation from the alcohol is amazing.

D: I wish I had another... and another. I wish I could do this experience justice, I almost didn't write a review.

#BOTG 75! A huge one for tonight, a long time want. Bottled 4-14-11. Poured from bottle into Chimay Chalice. Pours blood brown/red. Super creamy off white head that doesn't go away at all. Beautiful. Smell- apple sauce, cinnamon, raisins, prunes, sweet fusel alcohol, ripe pears, dark cherries, dark overly ripe plums. Brilliant. Super complex. Taste- sweet, deep ripe dark fruits, raisins, plum, with a salty sweet ending. Prunes, brandy notes, a tiny bit of alcohol notes, but it doesn't burn at all. Just super smooth. I was wondering how it could possibly be better than Rochefort 10, and it is. It's just so creamy, smooth, deep, complex. Bravo, its the hype.

date on cap: 19.03.08

A: its pours from the 330ml bottle into a nice tulip type glass, dark brown with a big head served at 55f. What can say its the perfect beer.

S: very rich dark raisin and other plum type smells, some mild hop, and a slight bit of alcohol.

T: here where the rubber his the road, its all about the great rich taste to me, there is too much in here for me to figure out, but I know I love it, give me some Trappist cheese and I could die after with no regrets.

M: very full body and depending how much its been aged if its fresh you detect some alcohol, its only gets better with age.

D: I always have 3 in a row, so its dam drinkable to me

I love it aged or not aged

Nice looking bottle. Very pleasant smell. Very nice taste and Good alcohol content. Excellent beer! Good beer for Sunday's relaxing in a sofa. Good also that all the money goes to the monks and charity.

Picked a few bottles up at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam. Initially, I was going to wait until I got back to the States to indulge...but the excitement got the better of me.

I poured the beer in a Chimay chalice. Dark and beautiful...but still transparent.

The smell was complex and earthy. Dried fruit and dark sugar.

Huge build-up to my first taste, and it was not disappointing. Fruity, floral, boozy, earthy. Thick and very complex...it's difficult to point out each individual flavor, because they interact with each other. It was more carbonated than I thought, but the mouthfeel was still great.

Hard to tell if this is the best beer that I have ever had, but I will always remember the day in Nice, France when I first tried this beer. This beer wins for my favorite "beer moment".

This beer is by far one of the best I have ever had. It is so smooth you dont even notice the high alcohol content. I ordered this through the Belgian shop. I have also tried the Trappist Westvleteren 8 and it was also excellent!

I wish I had another, it was well worth the money.

A huge thanks to Chris for the generous trade of Westvleteren.

A plain 33cl brown bottle with a slim neck topped with a black and gold cap. Dated 25.08.12

Holding the bottle up to the window, I can already see that it has excellent clarity and just a tiny bit of sediment at the bottom.

The cap opens with a loud hiss. I pour it slowly down the side of the goblet glass but a huge rocky head forms anyway. Even leaving the last dregs in the bottle, the oversized glass is complete filled - half glorius beer, half thick linen colored head. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever settle. Chunky lace is left behind as it starts to give up the fight.

Westy 12 is a perfect ruby red color when the light hits it. Surprisingly good clarity but that's probably due to having plenty of time to settle in my basement. The bubbles continue to cascade up through the beer from the etched bottom of this glass. What a sight.

The aroma is distinct and special in it's own right. While familiar to a Belgian beer lover, it seems to have a little something special - that unique trappist yeast. It's like a warm wheat bread dough being proofed. Dark cherries, raisins, plum pudding, and fruit cake all mingling in my nose.

The flavor is equally wonderful and complex. The first sip dances across my tongue and has such incredible nuance and depth that it seems to linger well after. The taste is much like the aroma with all sorts of fantastic dark fruit both sweet and a little tart. There is bread and chocolate as I roll it around my mouth. What a great combination of flavors! The yeast imparts a flavor that isn't funky or sour but somewhere in between and very mild.

The mouthfeel is suprisingly light in body with perfectly judged carbonation for the style. It's smooth but the alcohol begins to warm on its way down. Otherwise, I don't know if I would ever know it's over 10%. A beer this strong and full of complex flavors has no right being so easy to drink.

Overall just an amazing beer! Looking over my review, I realize I'm running out of adjectives to describe how great it is. Worthy of the accolades and praise. The most wonderful, special, and unique beer in the world. Period.