Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,345 |  Reviews: 1,874

3.6/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very good beer. I like it old however. Opening this beer fresh is a waste of time and money. It is like drinking it with only 50% of its potential. I think I enjoyed the chase for this beer more then actually drinking it. It is a very good beer but not as good as all the hype. I have had it fresh, and aged multiple years.

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally opened this iconic beer that we'd been saving until 1000th unique check-in on UnTappd - a wait I'd been finding very difficult. Surprised by how well this beer lives up to its reputation, and has exceeded my own personal expectations.

Pours a muddy, warm dark brown with a creamy, off-white head that has great retention. Aroma of brandied raisins, prunes and plums, with the initial hint of cellared mustiness disappearing as it warms. The flavour has both depth and balance, with only a mild alcohol warmth in the finish belying its 10.2% ABV. The Belgian yeast complements the malt body without being overwhelming. Lots of toffee and candied fruit, as well as brandy and barrel tones.

There's no way my description could do this justice, so will just state that I am ecstatic to have finally tried it and will purchase again, should a second opportunity ever arise...

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

I finally got a Westvleteren 12 the other day. I have been wanting one for years. A buddy of mine was able to get some on a trip to Belgium and a six pack arrived on my doorstep a few days later labeled "yeast sample".

I immediately made a run to Binny's to get some other Quads to prepare my palate and set up a blind tasting. I was told Trappistes Rochefort 10 was a great comparable so that's the one we chose to face off with the Westy. Unfortunately, the Westy 12 completely demolished the Rochefort. I was truly hoping the Rochefort would win since it's so readily available.

So, here are the details: Westvleteren 12 is a moderately deep amber, very clear (much more than the relatively cloudy Rochefort). Smell is boozy, raisins, maybe a little banana. Rochefort is more of a caramel scent. The taste of the Westy will initially throw you, striking you as overly bitter at first. As other reviewers have pointed out, you may not like this one on the first taste but it will quickly win you over. It has an extremely complex flavor. I would not say this is a "fruity" beer but there are fruit notes, along with wood and maybe even a little smoke. The finish is warm but not boozy. Perfect beer. If you are lucky enough to get some, do it justice: serve it around 60F in a perfectly clean glass, pour it carefully to avoid the sediment, have a clean palate, etc. I must say I cannot disagree that this is possibly the best beer in the world.