Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#32

Ratings: 6,450 |  Reviews: 1,892
4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best way to start is from the beginning....I can't recall a beer where the aroma instantly filled the air after the opening of the bottle in this matter. Right up the nostrils....

We got a solid pour into two deep wine glasses where the perfect amount of yeast sediment stayed in the bottle (I only drank that later after lamenting that the Westy was gone forever)

After reading about how many flavors and tastes would come with each sip, I certainly had my doubts only. I came to realize there was truth behind these claims. I noticed smoke and pepper with the initial sips only to catch oak on the back end. As it warmed and settled, the fruit notes took over and it became a bit more sweet with every sip.

Went down smooth and the mouthfeel was spot on.

It's a bit sad the quest is over but the end result was not disappointing at all. I walk away from the experience realizing how much I truly love Belgian beers. It will be nice knowing that I no longer have to compare other beers by saying "but I still haven't had westvleteren yet..."

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

3.6/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a very good beer. I like it old however. Opening this beer fresh is a waste of time and money. It is like drinking it with only 50% of its potential. I think I enjoyed the chase for this beer more then actually drinking it. It is a very good beer but not as good as all the hype. I have had it fresh, and aged multiple years.

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally opened this iconic beer that we'd been saving until 1000th unique check-in on UnTappd - a wait I'd been finding very difficult. Surprised by how well this beer lives up to its reputation, and has exceeded my own personal expectations.

Pours a muddy, warm dark brown with a creamy, off-white head that has great retention. Aroma of brandied raisins, prunes and plums, with the initial hint of cellared mustiness disappearing as it warms. The flavour has both depth and balance, with only a mild alcohol warmth in the finish belying its 10.2% ABV. The Belgian yeast complements the malt body without being overwhelming. Lots of toffee and candied fruit, as well as brandy and barrel tones.

There's no way my description could do this justice, so will just state that I am ecstatic to have finally tried it and will purchase again, should a second opportunity ever arise...

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,450 ratings