Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#31

Ratings: 6,421 |  Reviews: 1,884
4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle poured into a wine glass. (Found on shelf at Mikkeller & Friends Bottle Shop in Copenhagen)

A- Pours deep mahogany. Head is soda like, quite bubbly, and tan. Really nice retention.

S- Rich dark fruits, plum, raisin, fig. Alcoholic tinge. Some black cherry. Very light caramel and some Belgian yeast spice character.

T- Cherry, fig sweetness, caramelized fruit. Some straight malt, biscuity sweetness. Yeast bite, faint caramel, and a bit of alcohol.

M- Medium-full body. The finish lightens up with a bit of dryness, as well as a good lingering warmth of alcohol.

O- Fantastic quad. Maybe doesn't live quite up to the hype, but depth is great and really enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.73/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev -5.4%

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%

4.19/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoying the last of about 120 bottles I've been working my way through over the last two years. Most of the last forty bottles have a rising head as soon as I open the bottle and strong carbonation that often causes an immediate overflow and requires me to start the pour as soon as possible. There is a sense of freshness that reminds me of the freshest baguettes from the best Parisian boulangerie. At first I didn't like how carbonated it was but I quickly realized I could simply wait for the level of carbonation I felt like that day. Flavor is, for me, just a tad too bitter. At first this kept leaving me a bit disappointed. Now I love it. Head is epic. Like beaten egg whites. I almost tried shaving with it. The lacing on the sides of the glass and on the top of the beer, drunk from the classic or the more recent glasses from the brewery, is absolutely perfect. I used to photograph it because it really is gorgeous and unique. It is luxurious and generous and the bubbles are tiny holes in whipped-cream textured sheets that cling to the sides of the glass and really are a pleasure to look at as I continue. The flavor is honey, fig, nutmeg, dark fruits, berries, a bit of pineapple, dried fruits in a trail mix, fresh, rich crust from the best European bread, and a bitter undertone that must be the hops but the integration of these flavors is a marvel that provides the kind of taste odyssey that matches the experience of the finest high-end wines. From small sips savored in discrete moments or actually drinking, even gulps - I've been drawn to try consuming it in every way and each has its charms. in the layered variation that is a meditative experience I have come to value beyond any normal beer. It is a fuller experience than I can really relate in words. It occupies my attention on multiple levels in a way that has a value I can't quite articulate as a celebration or a comfort or a wake-up call that changes each time I pour one of these marvels. The texture is on the viscous side, just enough to coat my mouth with a nuanced, ever-changing percolation of flavors that take over my attention and my mouth that is better than any other beer I've ever had. It's chewy; I actually found myself chewing at it at first because it's so complete. This beer absolutely screams quality in every mouthful. The smell alone has occupied my attention through entire bottles. Actually, that's the thing about this beer - I have enjoyed bottles where I found myself focusing on the taste, or the texture, or the lacing and the head, or the lovely warming intoxication and in none of those areas, no matter how much I focused on it, did I find any level of disappointment. With many things in life, if you focus on them too much there is repetitiveness and limitation. Pick any food you thought you loved and eat it every day. Inevitably something about it eventually predominates that leaves disappointment. Not with this beer. It is more than a beer. Seriously - it is an experience in itself that concentrates my focus in a way that transports me from the normal experience of life. I would put this on the level of a trip to the best museum, the highest-level artist of whatever music you love, or the best book or movie. It really is all that. The alcohol is perfectly integrated and brings a heart-lifting warmth that penetrates the taste buds and - ok, laugh at me if you will - the soul and the heart. As I drink this last bottle, not knowing if I can manage to get any more right now, I am moved by the pure quality and the sense of integrity in every mouthful. This truly is everything I ever heard people say it was and I am finally willing to say that it is the best beer experience I have ever had, bar none.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,421 ratings