Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,326 |  Reviews: 1,867

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks matt for the bottle share. In the nose i oddly get almost a hefeweisse yeast - slight banana and clove, bakers chocolate, bready malts and carob as well. Thick rich and lush on the palate; bring the flavors on the nose with a dry almost earthy finish. Very complex stuff that i am not equipped to describe. Beautiful head with a ruby tinted hue on the basic quad brown color. Very excited to try this and an excellent beer but not close to the best i have had. Bottle was a usa export.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle. Fantastic experience. It pours dark, ruby red with crackling carbonation that fizzles without leaving much of a head. Rich dark fruit and dark cherries paired with old leather and mild pipe tobacco. Prunes, raisins, figs, and aged Belgian yeast ripened blended together with a hint of dusty cobwebs to add depth and character. The mouth feel is light and airy, not what I was expecting from a big quad. The carbonation was vibrant and prickly at points. The mouth feel was not as nice as the flavor for me, but this is outstanding and a must try beer.

A - No label, with a ring around the bottle that says Trappistenbier. The cap has the date 16.06.12 stamped on it. Pouring this into my tulip glass produced 1.5 inches of off-white head that has great retention and leaves some clingy lacing. The beer is clear with a very dark ruby red hue.

S - It has a very pleasant sweet and fruity aroma consisting of prunes, raisins and grapes.

M - Medium in body with perfect carbonation. It has a slight syrupy feel to it that coats the mouth.

T - Upon the first sip dark grapes and prunes dominate the flavor. Next up is a little woodiness before some more dark fruit. I couldn't really detect any alcohol in the flavor, but noticed it a little as it warmed up my chest. It has a good bit of sweetness, but is never sickeningly sweet. It drinks extremely smoothly with no harsh flavors at all.

This is without a doubt a world class beer. I wouldn't have been able to tell you that it contained over 10% alcohol. I want to give a huge thanks to Brabander for sending me 2 bottles and giving me the chance to try this delicious beer. Hopefully I'll be able to try it again next year when I'm in Belgium.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%

I finally got to try this beer! Huge thanks to Deuane and Carolyn (Sierrags), I owe you two big time!!!

Poured into a stemmed tulip from a 12oz bottle. The appearance defines eye candy. A very hazy and viscous brown with no visibility through the body. Pours an initially foamy creamy light khaki head with streaks of what looks like cocoa powder. The head retains at a creamy, thin layer. Slight lacing rests about an inch above the body.

The smells is mind numbingly complex. Every time my nose takes a whiff, I smell something different. I want to break this down as far as I can so hear goes... Tons of toffee/bitter caramel scents, light belgian candied sugars, raisins, white grapes, brown sugar, light coriander, semi tart cherry, and some light cocoa scents. The smell isn't in your face, but it blends so well together.

The taste is exceptional in the same way that the scent is. Everything noted in the scent is visible in the taste in some form or another in addition to some figs, vanilla, and some plum and red grapes. This beer is so smooth, I don't know if this has come with age (2.5 years cellared) or what, but this is such a well crafted beer.

Initially, the high carbonation is a little bit off-putting, but as it warms and dies down it becomes much more pleasing. I didn't really understand the darker complex belgians when I began my journey. Beers like this, Rochefort 8/10, and St Bernardus 12 really help in making sense of the magical and mythical works of the trappists!

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This was truly a special treat and long awaited. I'm glad I got a few, so I can cellar a couple :)

Bottled on Christmas day, 2008!

A: Pours a nice mahogany color with a finger of creamy off-white head. Moderate lacing and decent head retention.

S: I was a little worried initially because I didn't smell too much. However, once this brew warms up a bit the nose really opens up. Lots of dark fruit predominates the nose: dark cherry, fig, plum, and raisin. Some molasses, caramel, brown sugar, and even chocolate as it gets warmer too. Somehow it manages to be very complex, but pleasantly subtle at the same time.

T: Whoa, was not ready for this - so many layers of flavor. Each sip starts as one thing and then finishes as something completely different. Dark, dried fruits up front (figs, dates, raisins, etc). This leads to hints of coffee and chocolate towards the end. Caramel malt and molasses are very apparent throughout. Power of the alcohol is also detectable.

M: A creamy full body with a good amount of alcohol warming.

D: Amazingly complex - I could slowly sip and enjoy this forever. After a year the alcohol seems to be in perfect balance with everything else. I'm interested to see how this ages, but I also wonder what this tastes like fresh.

Best quad I've ever had? Yes, I would definitely say so. I've never tasted anything so complex. Best beer in the world? That's a bit more debatable, but it very well could be.

4.54/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

I ordered this from Delilah's in Chicago for $12.

It was aged since 1997.

Appearance was an opaque chestnut brown with no head except for a tiny patch of tan bubbles and a ring around the glass. The beer was definitely carbonated, though. I asked the server to pour the yeast in the glass.

First sniff was a woody, earthy, fruity smell that made my mouth water.

The taste is a kung-fu master combination of sweet port-like notes, fruit, and wood. It has a woody caramel malty-sweet aftertaste that seriously lasted for more than a minute (I timed it.)

This is one very complex beer that is not tiring to my palate. I would reach for another if they weren't so expensive!

Mouthfeel is slightly oily and smooth with a pleasant crispness from the carbonation.

The Arrogant Bastard I had afterward seemed lame in comparison.

If this is aged beer, I hope I live a long life!

4.13/5  rDev -10.4%

18.12.10
9.11.11

A- Large multi textured light tan head with large bubbles suspended in thick foam. Great head retention and good lacing. The beer is dark brown in color with some haziness, minimal light penetration.

S- Large fruity aroma, cherries, apples, peaches and plums. Also a great malty profile displaying Caramel, roasted pecans and a touch of molasses. The yeast really makes this beer shine with some nice spicy notes to balance all the sweet malty character.

T- Spicy fruit up front then some roasted nuts and fruit are accompanies by dry bitter spice, warming alcohol and a slight peppery flavor. Cherries, raspberries make an appearance in the flavor as well. This is a very complex and tasty beer.

M- This is a full bodied beer with a nice oily smoothness and dry bitter bite in the end. The alcohol is a little apparent for my taste.

Overall this is a great quad, and a great beer in general.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Got this as a valentines day present from my wife. I need to preface my review by stating that I really do not like doubles and trippels, however, I had to try this one due to its reviews on this site. I don't know the vintage of the bottle I have.

Appearance: Pours cloudy amber brownish with a huge long lasting tan head.

Smell: Smells of malts and caramel. No hop aroma

Taste: Tastes almost wineish. I taste cherry flavors as well as some roasted or caramel flavors which I have not tasted before. Acoholic flavors also present in the finish

Mouthfeel: Very heavy beer. Alcoholic in the back of the throat. Pleasant on the palate.

Drinkability: Drinkable beer, moreso than other strong belgium beers I have tried. Great beer but it is not the "Best in the world"