Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,327 |  Reviews: 1,867

3.47/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

color- brown

taste- bourbon, toast, chocolate

aroma- floral, chocolate

appearance- opaque, suspended sediment

i bought this bottle in 2003 so it had some time on it, i was let down with this beer...could have been a variety of reasons...maybe held onto it too long. i would give it another try.

#BOTG 75! A huge one for tonight, a long time want. Bottled 4-14-11. Poured from bottle into Chimay Chalice. Pours blood brown/red. Super creamy off white head that doesn't go away at all. Beautiful. Smell- apple sauce, cinnamon, raisins, prunes, sweet fusel alcohol, ripe pears, dark cherries, dark overly ripe plums. Brilliant. Super complex. Taste- sweet, deep ripe dark fruits, raisins, plum, with a salty sweet ending. Prunes, brandy notes, a tiny bit of alcohol notes, but it doesn't burn at all. Just super smooth. I was wondering how it could possibly be better than Rochefort 10, and it is. It's just so creamy, smooth, deep, complex. Bravo, its the hype.

4.49/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Date on Cap says 24.09.11

Fortunately Im one of the lucky ones and this is not the first time I have drank this beer, it is the second. The first time I did not have time to review it.

Well here it is in front of me, the mother of all beers to say, the one that any beer enthuasist "HAS" to try. For me this is the real "King of all Beers" to try since my fav style is "Belgians". I need to mention this has been aged a while, the last one I drank was about 5 months ago.

So having a beer like this deserves its own proper glass. I poured this into my "Trappist Westvleteren" glass. It poured a nice caramel brown like color with a tannish/white two finger head. Leaves beautiful lacing throughout my glass.

Smells of dark brown warm bread that comes out of the oven, dark fruits, plums, raisins, mild hops, spicy alcohol. Very mouth watering.

Mildy fruity with hint of spices coming trough, biscuit like taste, figs, dark sugary chocolate. Very smooth and sticky.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and covers the whole palate full of flavors, very complex.

This is a very drinkable beer, hides the alcohol very well. Very tasty and surely one of the best beers I have tried, easy top 3. As for being the best beer in the world, I would say there are a couple better ones out there I tried.

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Westvleteren glass. 10/12/08. Cap has 18.12.10 printed on it.

Pours a deep dark mahogany brown color with about one finger of light tan head. The head slowly dropped to just a thin layer, no lacing. The aroma is amazing and intense. Belgian yeast, bread, sweet malt, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, apple, raisin, date, fig, toasted nut, banana, clove, and alcohol make up the aroma. Very complex, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

Unfortunately the taste does not carry the same complexity as the aroma. It's still darn good though. Sweet malt, Belgian yeast and bread, brown sugar, candied sugar, raisin and fig, and a touch of alcohol make up the taste. The high alcohol (10%) is pretty well hidden.

This beer is smooth and not too heavy. Medium-full body and well-carbonated. Almost creamy. A bit of warmth from the alcohol. Drinkability is pretty good. The alcohol really sneaks up on me. It's really easy to drink for such a big beer. Definitely a sipper though.

Overall, a darn good beer. Try it if you get a chance, though it might be difficult to obtain.

Deep brown color. Strong lacy tan head. Malty, nutty aroma. Full mouth. Complex malty, vinuous, nutty flavor with hints of dates, raisins and dark cherries. Amazing complexity grows with each year of storage. I've tasted brews aged up to 8 years, with amazing results. Also tasted in a Westvletern-flavoured ice cream, believe it or not, at the monastery tap. In a class of its own.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Description: More dark brown than ruby in color with a light tan/khaki head. The head quickly dissipates but leaves some lacing on the glass. Smell was a mix of dark fruits (dark/sour cherry, raspberry, red grapes) and possibly even some melon or maybe apricot. There was another acidic, fruity flavor that I couldn't quite place. The taste was sweet and fruity on the front of the palate and the grape flavor came through more clearly than with the aroma. There was a touch of bitterness on the finish which helped to balance the beer. The alcohol was certainly there but it didn't overwhelm the flavors. It was more carbonated than expected and the feel was on the thin side for a quad.

Suggested Food Pairing: Smoked white cheddar

If you like this beer then you should also try: Trappistes Rochefort 10

Overall: 4.25 (This beer is good and I would likely have it again) Certainly a good beer, but not one that I would rate as one of the best in the world. I really expected it to be more flavorful and full-bodied...generally "bolder" than it was. It seemed a little delicate to me, which isn't necessarily bad it's just not what I was looking for. In comparing it with other highly regarded Belgian quads I'd put it on par with Bernardus 12 but behind Rochefort 10. If you can get your hands on one it's worth trying (lots of people seem to think it's pretty fantastic) but it didn't blow me away.

4.41/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The aroma of this beer is incredible, so thick it's like fog, and full of raisins, plums, and all manners of bright and sweet things.

Appearance is also incredible. The color is milk chocolate brown, sort of like root beer with a bad attitude, with so much cloudy swirling sediment that you feel like you've captured a sandstorm at midnight. By the way, I was a bad boy and poured the whole beer into the glass, because I wanted to taste everything.

Mouthfeel was slightly thinner than expected -- this beer has been called chewy and I am not prepared to agree. Foamy is more like it. Malty, slightly burning. Very nice, just not as chewy as I had been led to expect.

Taste is a circus that changes as the beer warms, and like the aroma, is full of raisins and plums and chocolate and burning cocoa and a hundred other things that I could not catch before they ran down my tongue and into my belly.

Very drinkable! This beer was gone too quickly. In fact, this is one of the few beers that I would rather have in a larger size.

Definitely one of the best beers in the world, but I am not yet prepared to call it THE best in the world. I may have to try another. Yeah, that's it... that's what I have to do... I have to try another... for purely scientific reasons.

Certainly a beer that you have to try if you can.

4.75/5  rDev +3%