Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#32

Ratings: 6,403 |  Reviews: 1,881
4.97/5  rDev +8%

Boy what a great beer. Poured with no head. Looks like brandy. Actually even has some signs of legs. Toffee and brandy aromas. Alcohol. Fruity and estery. The flavor left me speechless. Man, what a flavor. Raisin, cherry, gosh. Any description I could conjure up would not do this beer justice. How can the monks be so selfish.

*2008 Vintage; cellared since fall '08*
Opened 25/04/11
Poured into Red Wine goblet

A: Deep, rich, thick brown with an equally thick, almost viscous creamy foam atop -- reminds me of cappuchino!

S: Roasted barley, faint leather, coffee, ever-so-faint alcohol, damp earth, mineral, biscuit, oak.

T: Very rich -- like candy. A cascade of biscuity malt with the perfect balance of bitterness reminiscent of a good espresso -- oaky, like a barrel-aged stout or even a smooth bourbon. And keeps on going.

M: I want to just keep going with this brew. No stickiness -- perfectly balanced, ideal carbonation.

O: Oh man. Even apart from the mystique, it's art. The mystique is there for good reason! Worth seeking out, and cellar it if you've got strong enough resolve.

I paired it with a Polyface Farms "Fauxo-" buco (adult beef shank), risotto milanese, sugar snap peas, and sour cream biscuits. An excellent pairing, but not perfect -- the beer was actually a bit strong for the food. It could stand a stronger, heartier dish, but it does love the garlic-tomato stewed meat and marrow.

4.42/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this one from megriggs, serving our country while stationed in Germany. Thank you very much, Megan!

Consumed on my 44th birthday with Father Ian on my deck at Vintage Hills.

Date on the cap is 25.04.13.

Poured from the bottle into tulip glasses. Started at 51 degrees and ended at 54 degrees.

A: Murky dark brown. I gave a very careful pour to avoid stirring up too much yeast. Tiny, tiny carbonation bubbles formed a one-finger head that dissipated quickly to a thin head that stays on top of the beer and leaves some lacing when drinking. There is still a significant amount of floating material (yeast, I suppose), but it does not detract from the look of the beer.

S: At first, there was virtually no smell from it at all. As soon as it warmed up a few degrees, the nose came to life with caramel and fresh fruit aromas. I really enjoyed just breathing it in deeply.

T: Here I was slightly disappointed. The beer tasted good. There was nothing "off" in the taste- no funkiness at all. There also was not a whole lot going on. Fresh and slightly fruity was all I could get myself convinced of. No specific notes like raisins or those types of things. I have a feeling that this beer was very freshly made and might get some of the more pronounced flavors with some age on it.

M: How in the hell does this beer hide 10.2% alcohol the way it does? The beer has an incredible, creamy mouthfeel and the carbonation is perfect.

D: I am sorry that I was only able to obtain one bottle, because when I took a break from sniffing it, I drank it down way too quickly.

Overall, this was a very good beer, but I hope maybe someday I will be able to obtain a bottle with some age on it to enjoy more pronounced flavors an aromas.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.1/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks to Wyatt for this gem!!!! poured from a 12 oz glass into a tulip glass. pours a brownlish murky red color with a thin head that leaves qucikly. The smell is of yeasty fresh bread and a slight booziness too. The taste is bitter on the front end but that leaves quick and your mouth is filled with a fruity sweetness that coats your whole mouth. The sweetness stays but you still get that bitterness. It is well balanced and not boozy at all like the smell leads. I can see why this one is rated so high. while I do agree with it having a high rating I have to admit I'd take a russian imp stout over this any day. Still a great beer and I'm glad I got to try it!!! thanks Wyatt!!!

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pours an intense shade of brown with a light tan head.

S: So complex. Brown sugar is prominent. There are dark fruits, but they don't assault the nose like super malty beers that use a ton of specialty grains known to create those flavors (special B, etc). There is a caramel softness to it, which lends the perfect amount of sweetness.

T: Follows the nose. More complexity. Layers upon layers of interesting flavors. Brown sugar, dates, caramel, Belgian yeast phenols.

M: Light on the carbonation.

D: Westy 12 and Hair of the Dog Adam are the two most complex and interesting beers I have ever had. There is a refined elegance to everything about this beer, from the packaging, to the aroma and taste.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.06/5  rDev -11.7%

Quads as a style don't generally interest me, but I had to tick this beer. The only memorable things about it, we're that it's softer and lighter than I was expecting, it's extremely smooth, the ABV is masked well, and it's a good, drinkable beer.

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

I decided to pick out something good for my 200th review. I do not think it gets much better than this. 11.2 oz bottle purchased at the monastery by my friend for me. Poured into the Westvleteren chalice that he also bought for me at the cafe across the street from the Abbey.

A: Pours a dark brown with small tan head. The tiny bubbles really stick to the side of the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Belgian yeast, sweet smelling malt, dark fruit aroma (raisin), and alcohol is the best I can describe the aroma. I am sure there is even more to this complex brew, but the aroma is a bit subdued.

T: All the pieces from the aroma mix together to make one of the most rich flavors of any beers I have ever had. There is more going on, but I am too inexperienced to pick them all up. I started into good beer via Belgian ales, and this is easily the best of any of them I have ever had. It deserves the hype it gets.

M: It feels thick bodied at times, but if I was forced I would call it more of a medium body. The in mouth carbonation level is perfection for the style. It is nice and smooth and a joy to just roll around on the tongue.

D: You sip this one because you want to savor every drop. The ABV does cause you to slow down a little as well, but not more than you want to anyway.

Those monks sure know how to brew a fantastic beer.

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,403 ratings