Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#32

Ratings: 6,429 |  Reviews: 1,884

4.72/5  rDev +2.6%

Tasting this beer at all was a convergence of split second timing, vacation angst, and dumb luck. Google led me to the only bar in Brussels that served it, a gorgeous place built in the 1400's I think (and last painted in the 1600's I would wager). Perhaps it was the road weary barmaid or the loco dude siting to my right who was deep into a political debate with someone sitting between us that only he could see, but I hate to say that I was not that impressed. The beer is very complex with deep malty flavors, alcohol forward, caramel and nuts, nice bitterness, but it tasted like every other quad I've ever had. And it was served at what I would call spit-warm cellar temp, which seemed wrong. If I ever find myself in Belgium again, I'm going to the brewery. No more f'ing around, because I believe in second chances.

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%