Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,473 |  Reviews: 1,897
4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Loved the mouthful caramel malty flavor. A very complex flavor with a rather deep finish. I just do not understand why it is under so much hype as it is a great beer but the availability should not influence the impression of the beer itself. I just think there are other rather similar excellent beers in the same style. However, I would still like to drink it again ;-).

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely the best belgium beer I have had. It is the perfect beer to sip and enjoy every last drop. Nice aroma and color but the taste is unmatched. Since this is really hard to get I had to be careful to rate it based on what I feel it really is, but is is fantastic. Since there was no 4.95 review, I had to give it 4.75.

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed in a goblet. Consumed most without yeast.

A. Super dark ruby. Nice head to a fine bubble rim.

S. Charred roasted malts. Figs. Toffee. Semi sweet.

T. Ohhh the sweet is balanced with matured walnuts, raisin, green apple, and figs. A little bitter finish.

M. Super smooth. Medium carbonation. Extra full body.

O. Very happy to see this available at my local watering hole. I paid 25 bux and I'm satisfied. Damn fine. Certainly worth the hype. Its a very strong beer not subtle by any means.

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

As this beer used to be the top rated beer on the planet, I thought I'd wait to try it until I felt my palate had developed enough to truly appreciate it. Good call.

Served in a tulip.

Appearance - OK so I might have fudged the number on the appearance a little but I feel that it is justified because some of the other rating scores need to be higher than a 5. It is a beautiful, full rich, ruby, mocha, milk, chocolate color. If I was to knock the beer in any way, it is that the color wasn't as vibrant as I had hoped. (I guess I had hoped that the beer would somehow glow or something.)

Smell - What got me here is how "full" the smell was. It's not pungent like a hop bomb but it seemed that my entire nose and respiratory system was consumed by the, again, "fullness" of the smell. I could list off the individual smells but everyone else has already listed those. Here is an area where the scores need to be higher that a 5.

Taste - oh... my... god... yes, it's good. Again, I could list the individual flavors that I'm picking up but that's only a teeny tiny portion of what's going on here. What's great about Westy 12 is how the flavors develop and intermingle with each other. So smooth and subtle yet sophisticated and refined all at the same time. By far - beyond thunderdome - holy crap in a dumptruck - this is by far the best tasting beer I've ever had. Seriously. LISTEN TO ME!!! It's good.

Mouthfeel - Perfect. 'Nuf said.

So far, this is the only beer I've ever had that I thought deserved all 5's. And to be honest, I'd like to give it even higher scores. I'm not usually one to fall prey to hype but this one lives up to it and possibly surpasses it. This is a serious mastery of the perfection of the brewing art. Now, is it the best beer on the planet? I can't say for sure because I haven't had them all and I doubt that anyone else has either. But, is it the best beer I've ever had? Yeah. Abso-friggin-lutely!!

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,473 ratings