Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Ratings: 6,402 |  Reviews: 1,881

4.39/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage

A- One inch off-white head recedes quickly to a cap and thick collar throughout. Deep ruby red body color with light purple hues around the edges. Splotchy lacing.

S- Major raisins, prunes, grapes, dark fruits aplenty. Slight hint of oxidation but it works well with the Westy 12.

T- More with the raisins but finishes with a taste of cherries. Well balanced hop profile to malts but yeast dominates as it should. Dangerously drinkable for 10.2%abv.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Medium-low carbonation fits great to the overall profile of the beer.

D/O- The Westvleteren XII excels in every aspect of it's attributes. A complete beer if their ever was such a thing. Highly recommended for any Belgian beer fan. A thank you to digita7693 many moons ago for the LIF send out. Happy college graduation to me :)

4.87/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Ah, the ever-elusive Westy 12!

I’m writing this one up for my 1,000th review. (I don’t count my “hads” against my total.)

I had the opportunity to share this one at an epic bottle share. I’ll take it! As my first beer of the session I received a hearty pour, relatively speaking, and I knew it would be my one chance to try it. 29.11.15 on cap.

The Westy pours with this deep amber-raisiny pureed color. There’s an amazing aroma—it’s exactly what I want and everything I’d expect, only layered like a filing cabinet of sensory delights. Raisin and fig and a bready ester which warms, revealing notes of rum and brown sugar.

Yes, there’s hype. Yes, it’s rare (-ish, post 2012). Certainly all that factors, consciously or not, into my experience. All that aside, my god was it good.

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

3.25/5  rDev -29.3%

2.17/5  rDev -52.8%

Bottle courtesy of Steve via an IP trade this week. Thank you for the opportunity! My old balls still remember when this beer traded highly, never saw stateside distribution, and was ranked the top beer on this site. Bout time to get around to drinking and reviewing I guess. Cap reads 16.02.13 which makes this an 08 if my cap translation is up to par.

Pours a rusty brown with some spotted bubbles. Looks like mud- butt toilet water to be honest.

Smells of yeasty prunes with a splash of almond.

Taste is watery raisin juice and a touch of almond bark and cherry thrown on top. Feel is watered down and thin. What the hell is going on here?

Maybe I'm on hidden camera...in fact, I hope so. Maybe I'd chuckle and wag my finger at the scalawag who expertly placed their bullshit attempt at a quad in this bottle and expertly recapped it. If I'm not being tricked, then I'm a healthy mix of bewilder-pissed. Not since watching The Happening and feeling a palpable loss of all respect for M. Night have I been this bewildered. Prankster Monk possibility aside, this is one "world class" beer that's hitting my fucking drain.

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,402 ratings