Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,346 |  Reviews: 1,875
3.75/5  rDev -18.7%

4.41/5  rDev -4.3%

We've been waiting for something big to warrant popping our Westy. The defeat of DOMA seemed like a great occasion.

Giant runaway head settles into a sticky, fingers width blanket of retention. Eggplant color when held to light.

Not as aromatic as I was anticipating. In fairness the smell has a hefty head to break through. Deep, dark merlot - very wine-y and nutty, coppery earth, dark fruit and dandelion.

Very effervescent at first the bubbles quickly calm down and give way to a plush, pillow mouthfeel. There's plenty of flavor here to pick out, some things I found: red wine, brownie batter, bitter backer's chocolate, toffee, earth and soil and even some birch beer. Still packs some heat.

So, so complex and layered. As it sits more flavors emerge and the complexity evolves. Like an evolutionary organism right in my glass.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Had it out of the bottle.

Split it with a friend.

knew about the hype, but was prepared for anything.

smelled sweet, figs, etc.

tiny bit of lacing that gave way pretty quick.

snifter time

took deep smells before each sip.

this one lived up to the hype. I really like quads anyways, so this style is right up my alley. I didnt have them side by side, but this seemed to have a little more body, a little more sweetness, and just a little bit more character than Abt 12. that said, getting St Bernardus almost anywhere I want for 1/2 the price and not going across the globe makes a lot more sense.

I really enjoyed this beer, and I think my expectations were in check. Almost feels like some people expect it to be something better than beer! This is world class stuff and I am glad to check it off the list. Now I can go back to my Abt. 12 knowing that it stacks up to Westy quite favorably

4.56/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Thick craggy head that held for a minute before dropping into a oozing layer of foam leaving a few sticky spots on the side of the glass, lots of sediment, chestnut to rust brown - 4.25, S: Nose is creamy, chalky and with dark cherries, hint of candied mango, some sweet doughy bread, trace of honey as well as hints of toasted nuts and some bold malt, incredibly complex nose, -5.00, T: Dry, noticeable alcohol but very nicely masked in a 10.2% beer, candied sugar, slight burn, pureed figs and dates along with some golden raisins, - 4.50, M: Body is a touch thin with a slight effervescence and very mildly gritty – 4.00, D: All around an exceptional beer, one everyone should try at least once in their lifetime - 4.50

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try this beer during a beer tasting tour in Brussels. Id say around April 2013.

After the tour (having sampled 8 other awesome beers from Belgium + chocolate ), we were given the option of going to a place that served this.

Of course we accepted.

Bottle was unlabeled and we were not allowed to keep. Place we went to was in a back alley. Locals only.

Very rich and flavorful. Being younger I tried to take in as much as I could, however, when I had the beer I had not much to compare. I do remember it being special.

The worst part was the 3+ hr train ride back to Amsterdam !! But at least I got to try it and keep the bottle cap.

3.25/5  rDev -29.5%