Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,344 |  Reviews: 1,874

4.86/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Picked up a bottle in a swap for some BT last year. Split it with the wife, pouring into a pair of tulips. It fizzed up quite a bit, like a soda, and then quickly dissipated into a thin head with a rich, deep caramel color base. The nose was perfectly sweet, with strong notes of candied figs and dates. For a quad, I was surprised at how mellow and sweet it was, rather than dark and powerful. I thought it was really drinkable for a 10%, and could easily put down more than one bottle if afforded the opportunity. The alcohol was warm, but not overpowering. It had a bold feel, but not chokingly strong. Again, mellow was the word I kept thinking of, with a bit of a sticky finality that I think was more in my head from the fruit smell/taste than actually having me smacking my lips. Overall, I was afraid after all the hype I would be slightly disappointed, but it was actually the opposite. I was even more impressed with this than I hoped I could be. Absolutely worth going out of your way to enjoy.

3.25/5  rDev -29.5%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark brown with typical head for the style. Leaves slight lacing.

The aroma is more bright fruit based than I'm used to for a quad rather than blatant caramel and prune like I'm used to.

The flavor is much like a double, but with additional fruit. Some raisin and plum as well as apple. Bubblegum in the background. Almost a hint of scotch ale flavor.

The feel is full yet light. Slightly sticky aftertaste.

Overall I was quite impressed with this. It was far less sweet than I expected, and that was quite welcoming. The apple was quite nice too. I'm quite glad that I tried this. I didn't expect it to live up to the hype, but it's the best quad I've had to date. It even makes me optimistic about trying quads again.