Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,342 |  Reviews: 1,871

4.74/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a 330 ml bottle into a chalice.

A-A normal pour produces a dark chestnut colored brew that is nearly opaque with reddish highlights. There is a bubble or two of carbonation visible. The head is one and one-half fingers of dense, tan head. The retention is good.

S-The smell is sweet, intense, and full of dried dark fruits, over-ripe banana, hints of spice, molasses, and a touch of leather. The fruity alcohol is well-integrated into the mix. It smells really lovely if you like your quads on the sweet side.

T-The taste, like the smell is loaded with dark, sweet dried fruit notes. The banana is still present, but a strong spice note (pepper and clove) comes through, along with some dark cherry and just a hint of earthy leather. The alcohol is warming and sweet.

M-The beer is more carbonated that some quads, but the feel remains pretty soft and the carbonation works with the big flavors well.

O-Hype notwithstanding, I was blown away by how complex and pleasing the flavors were in this beer. I know there is some debate about whether this brew is really better than Rochefort or St. Bernardus (or De Struise or...whatever), but for me, it really hits all the sweet spots. I mean that literally and figuratively because the beer really is quite sweet, but unlike some others, I did not feel this was cloying or syrupy.

4.91/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Orval tulip glass. Bottlecap says 29.09.15.

A- Pours an opaque medium brown color with a 1/2 inch dark tan head. It loses retention quickly and becomes a thin ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, semi-resilient lacing slides quickly down the glass and minimal surface foam.

S- Boozy aroma reminds me of a barleywine, once I swirl, I get a nice waft of Belgian candi sugar and toasty malt. Still, the alcohol sticks out unpleasantly.

T- And there's a sharp booziness in the flavor too, followed by some faint raisin and dark fruit. Once the palate acclimates, things mellow out a bit. Semi-sweet, somewhat toasty with a syrupy aftertaste. Not very complex.

M- A bit stinging from the booze, sticky and dry. Medium carbonation and a hefty body.

This is a very good beer, but I feel that it is wildly overrated based on it limited availability. Maybe I should have let it sit longer, but I feel like it should be good fresh as well considering all the hype surrounding it. A pretty big letdown but I guess my expectations were quite high. I I compared this to Abt 12 which I found to be superior.