Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,341 |  Reviews: 1,871

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Ordered a bottle at Cambrinus in Brugges. 12 euro for the bottle, but with all the hype surrounding it, I decided it was worth trying once.

It pours into the challice a deep, slightly murky brown color with a thick, tan head of foam. Excellent head retention.
Smells of rich dark fruits, caramel, fresh baked bread, cloves, and a slightly vinous grape aroma.
The smoothness of this beer on the palate is incredible. The alcohol is very well hidden. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with an incredible richness.

I went in expecting it to not meet up to the hype, but it actually almost does. I'm a big fan of Belgian dark ales, and this might actually top St. Bernardus Abt. 12 and Rochefort 10 for me. Incredible beer.

4.1/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a La Trappe chalice. Bottle cap says 17.01.16.

A: the color of dark maple syrup with a hint of a beige head

S: almond and vanilla, was expecting a stronger smell but that probably comes with aging (will write again in 2 years now that I'm cellaring my case!). The La Trappe Oak aged gives off a much stronger scent but this one has some nice notes.

T: coffee and chocolate sweetness to start, finishing with bitter alcohol and even a hint of hops, didn't expect that from a quad. This is quite distinct from Rochefort 10 or St. Bernardus ABT 12.

M: more carbonation than I expected. Light tingles down the throat.

O: I drank the three other quads referenced in this review within 9 days of finally drinking this one and, I'll admit, I struggle to separate my review from the beer's mystique. To be honest, I like the other three better. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Westy 12 with some slices of a very buttery brie cheese. Like I said, I think the magic of quadrupels comes in the aging so I'll write again in a few years.