Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,326 |  Reviews: 1,867

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

Shared two bottles with two good friends on Saturday (16 Mar 2013)

A: Deep brown with a thin lacing that hangs around.

S: Incomparable. The first glass was poured a few feet away from me and I could smell the aroma from there. Beautiful warm yeasty bread, rich dark fruits, plum, malt and more malt. Soft is the best word I have. I wish I could keep my nose in a glass of this all day long.

T: Follows the aroma. Complex, gorgeous, bold, but also well balanced. Heavenly.

M: Mouthfeel is great. Good, slightly high carbonation.

O: The best beer in the world? I'm surprised to say "yes".

We lined up two bottles of St Bernardus Abt 12 afterwards for comparison. Extremely similar but the Westy is noticeably better in almost every respect. Prior to this, the St. Bernardus Abt 12 was probably my favorite beer and I was blown away by how good the Westvleteren 12 was. I did not expect it to live up to the reputation, but it did and I'm happy to cross this off the bucket list.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Just my opinion...I have seen the reviews of this beer fall after the sale of the gift packs in the US. I must say that those who rushed into drinking one right away missed out. I know it must have been very difficult to wait however, to let this beer ripen for a few years one would find a more earthy, well balanced flavor, without the alcohol burn at the end. I love this beer, just opened a bottle dated 14/12/14 which I bought at the Abby in 2011 and based it against one bought last month. The favors of the fruits are more pronounced/distinctive throughout. If you have any left, store it properly and let it sit for a few years, then review it again.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into Westy XII goblets that came with the brick - split this bottle with my brother. Cellaring the other 5 for a while. Murky, hazy brown with yellowish tan head. Familiar Belgian funk with dark fruit aroma. Tastes much the same, with plum, raisins, and yeasty spice. Perfect carbonation - less than a tripel, but still high as Belgians usually are. Perfectly balanced. I haven't had a lot of quads, but this one stands out. Pretty close to St. Bernardus 12, but has a little something extra. I'll have to A-B them sometime.

Now if I could just get my hands on the 8 and Blonde...

Thanks to Jerry at The J Clyde for getting the brick to my family for an awesome Christmas present.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.24/5  rDev -8%

4.91/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

P- Thanks to buddy Donn in Germany for this brew!

A- a fig/raisin like color that is soemwhat hazy. A nice 2 finger head that is fluffy and sticky. perfect!

S- dark fruits: plums, raisins and figs. subtle caramel malts that complement the brew nicely.

F- Wow, i can see why this brewery and its beers are highly revered. This has great flavor tones of figs and raisins mixed with the malts. I have nothing bad to say. I mean it was just like a big sigh. taseful and relaxing.

M- Slightly carabonated but very very smooth and creamy. It is like eating a plum with a lil bit of brown sugar and it slides all the way down.

O- best beer i have ever had to date. World class and i am grateful i could have it.

Appearance: Pours hazy, barely opaque chestnut color. Minimal head in this particular pour but was sharing with a friend. It has very fine bubbles that retain around the edges of the glass.

Smell: Just the right hint of sweet with dark fruits, raisins, plums, maybe some cherry, caramel and subtle malts.

Taste: At first sip it is clear why this was a highly renowned beer. It is complex, but perfectly balanced with just the right combination of sweet flavors that taste of dark fruits like fig or plums. There is caramel, brown sugar and a very subtle hint of spiciness at the end. There’s a pleasant warmth from the alcohol as it’s consumed.

Mouthfeel: Moderate in body, very smooth and creamy on the palate, the oxidation sits on the tongue. The fine bubbles round out the mouth feel with perfectly balanced carbonation.

Overall: Most anyone should be able to taste why this is one of the top beers in the world. It is complex yet perfectly balanced, has excellent flavor, and overall is one of the best beers I’ve ever tried. The drinkability is off the charts and I really wish I could say I had more than just the one bottle that I tried. I think it’s absolutely worth every penny and if I ever make it over to Belgium I’ll be making my way over to the Abbey of Saint Sixtus.