Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
Liked This Beer
4.6 w/ 6,392 ratings
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

4.6/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 6,392 |  Reviews: 1,881

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tasted On: 03-04-2013
Freshness: Best by 2015
Packaging: 330ml brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Chalice
Purchased: Received in a trade

Really stoked to finally try this beer! Review #500

Pours a clear and dark reddish-brown color; the last pour adds some yeast murkiness. The off-white head is huge and has a superb amount of retention and excellent lacing. Lots of bubbles are seen streaming from the bottom of the glass.

Aromas feature sweet malt and dark fruits, such as figs, dates, grapes and raisin. Other aromas include musty, oak notes and spicy yeast.

The taste is similar to the nose, starting with dark, sweet malts with hints of molasses, licorice and dark cherries. Also has a woody character to it, although the bitterness is very low if not non-existent. Other flavor notes include an acidity or tartness of tannin, as in a wine. Smooth but complex

The mouthfeel is at first dominated by the very high carbonation level, with a medium to thick body. Has a fairly potent alcohol warming presence. The finish is semi-sweet with lingering dark and ripened fruits. Tastes better as the beer warms up a bit.

Overall this was a pleasure to sip on. Is it one of the world's best beers? Not sure, but probably so; it's hard to evaluate this without being somewhat influenced by the notoriety. It's in the top ten of the 500 ones I've reviewed. Either way, I'm excited to have tried this and would recommend it heartily!

Thanks to baybum for this one!

2.81/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

A- copper/brown
S- Fruits
T- I didn't get much taste what so ever from this beer due to the carbonation
M- This is the part that I think completely ruined this beer for me. This beer was so heavily carbonated that it felt like it swelled in my mouth and made it hard to get down. Due to this fact I actually contemplated drain pouring, but I sucked it up and finished it.

I will try another bottle I have I don't know if this one was off or what. Once I try the other I will update my review.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just back from Belgium where I was able to pick up some Westvleteren 12. I'm not a professional by any stretch, but had to chime in here.

A- It pours a deep coppery brown, with light foamy head that forma a nice lace along the glass.

S- The bouquet on this is very complex, and fantastic. Breads with dark fruits, and the alcohol jumps out at me, but not overpowering. It all blends together nicely.

T- The flavors in this are incredible, combined with strong, but not overpowering alcohol. Combines perfectly. The flavors seem to change throughout, seeming sweeter to me toward the bottom. The maltiness is nicely offset by just the right amount of bitterness to create an incredible balance.

MF- Lighter than expected, with nice carbonation. I love Quads, but this one has a different feel to it.

O- Best beer in the world? This will always be a atter of opinion and personal taste. For me, it's on of the top 2 or 3. Just a shame that more can't try this wonderful beer.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%